ADVERTISEMENT

Land Thieves to remain in Big 12 for Wrestling

I could be wrong, but nothing in this thread explains how it helps. Over the past 7 years, OU wrestling has a total of 2 AAs. If their program folded up tomorrow, the Big12 wouldn't even notice. If anything, OSU would probably pick up a few more in-state recruits.
OSU needs all of the required tough competition it can get. I hope all of the affiliate Mountain West schools maximize how good they can be, but they just don't have the resources or history that the P5 schools do. OU, Mizzou, ISU and WVU all need to be good because we will wrestle every year. No scrambling to get some Big 10 teams who don't need help strengthening their schedules.

From 2003 to 2006 OU finished 3, 9, 3, 3 while we finished 1, 1, 1, 1. Having good competition helped us then, it would help us now.

Couple of others...

- Guerrero joined the RTC
- the Rin Sakamoto commit shows creativity (as others previously pointed out)
- the portal transfers (plus some posts on here) indicate OSU is onboard with NIL
- going by Blair's posts and Chris Perry's recent interview -- OSU seems to be all in on top 10 type talent, bypassing some lower ranked recruits and in-state guys
So, you’re saying the sky isn’t falling? OSU may be slow to change but it’s too good of a program to allow itself to be a ‘B’ tier program.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
They've also revamped training techniques, nutrition, rest, conditioning, practice schedules, etc. You'll see several athletes look like different people on the mat this season and next.

THIS!

Would love to hear more about this. Regardless its a huge step in the right direction.

From 2003 to 2006 OU finished 3, 9, 3, 3 while we finished 1, 1, 1, 1. Having good competition helped us then, it would help us now.
OU's decline has nothing to do with OSU's 17 year title drought. OSU has fallen because of the emergence of PSU, OhioSt & others. And a head coach who refused to embrace the RTC model. It took a fan to ask for permission to fundraise to get the thing off the ground.

So, you’re saying the sky isn’t falling? OSU may be slow to change but it’s too good of a program to allow itself to be a ‘B’ tier program.
The sky was falling the last 2 NCAAs. Sometimes you have to bottom out to make changes. In that sense it's a good thing.

I can say with conviction that OSU 17 year title drought would not be 17 years if it not for Cael and PSU. Certainly there are other contributing factors to this, but even if the program were to be on the cutting edge of RTC, NIL, and training in today's world the stars are going to have to completely align and PSU is going to have to come back down to earth in order for anybody besides them to win a title. Penn St is going on a freaking tear with transfers and recruiting right now, literally getting several top guys in every class. I genuinely hate to say this and I hope things change soon for the betterment of college wrestling and OSU, but they are the dead ass reason OSU hasn't got to 35 yet.

Cael is great and all, but many of the cutting-edge things they do were offered to us before PSU and John routinely had no interest.

Hopefully, things have changed, however, we were told after the finals in 2022 that big changes were going to happen and the same product was put out on the mat last year. As with every new year, I'm optimistic that some great things can happen. Time will tell.

OU's decline has nothing to do with OSU's 17 year title drought. OSU has fallen because of the emergence of PSU, OhioSt & others. And a head coach who refused to embrace the RTC model. It took a fan to ask for permission to fundraise to get the thing off the ground.

The sky was falling the last 2 NCAAs. Sometimes you have to bottom out to make changes. In that sense it's a good thing.
I remember beating this drum a while back and was trolled pretty bad by idiots over it

• Haha
Reactions: Wrassler17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT