ADVERTISEMENT

Land Thieves to remain in Big 12 for Wrestling

I think John Smith wants the state of Oklahoma wrestling strong and feels that them staying in the conference will help that. Same thing as Missouri wrestling in the conference.

So the success of wrestling in the state of Oklahoma is dependent on UTn and Misery?

I believe OSU wrestling can carry the load without UTn.
I think your being short sighted. Look at whats happened to B12 wrestling and OSU wrestling. OSU wrestling, believe it or not needs every last ounce of help it can get. It's becoming an afterthought in the world of college wrestling. Another 3 or 4 finishes like this past year and I don't even want to imagine what will become of the program.

As it should be. The two programs are 60 miles apart. This is good for fans, athletes, the wrestling community. The fact is that OU left the Big 12 for football money and football money funds wrestling. Of course the Big 12 wants to keep OU as one of its bazillion affiliates for wrestling. It makes a lot of sense.

I'm torn about this. Growing up in Tulsa in the 60's as a Dallas/Pro Football fan, I disliked College Football, knew nothing of wrestling and don't remember even knowing OSU existed. My parents had friends/co-workers over occasionally to watch OU and Dallas football. I was very early repelled by the crass antics of the hardcore OU fans at these gatherings and finally stopped watch NCAA football completely becoming thoroughly anti-sooner. Obnoxious high school classmates furthered this feeling and of course attending OSU and dealing directly with OU fans completely sealed the deal. I’m discussed when people directly call me a sooner and always mention the truth about the “land thieves” and that this is no badge of honor. I’ve always rooted for whoever is playing the sooners and I’d root for the commies (cold war) against them so, as I said, I’m torn but I guess this is a good thing.

Reactions: mugwamp2
OU wrestling offers the Big12 nothing. ASU & Mizzou are top 4-8 type programs. They will be the conference tent poles, along with OSU (hopefully). ISU, SDSU & UNCo are all improving, with an NCAA champ and 2 other finalists last season.

Based on the preseason rankings, OSU is on the bubble to finish in the top 10 this year. If they don't, it will be 3 straight years on the outside. PSU is in its own league. Iowa & Michigan are flush with NIL $. And there are at least a half dozen other teams recruiting extremely well. If OU somehow returns to being a player, it doesn't help OSU. OSU needs to get better, not the competition.

OU wrestling offers the Big12 nothing. ASU & Mizzou are top 4-8 type programs. They will be the conference tent poles, along with OSU (hopefully). ISU, SDSU & UNCo are all improving, with an NCAA champ and 2 other finalists last season.

Based on the preseason rankings, OSU is on the bubble to finish in the top 10 this year. If they don't, it will be 3 straight years on the outside. PSU is in its own league. Iowa & Michigan are flush with NIL $. And there are at least a half dozen other teams recruiting extremely well. If OU somehow returns to being a player, it doesn't help OSU. OSU needs to get better, not the competition.
You may be right about a few things. But wrong about the B12 and ou. OSU needs all the help it can get.

You may be right about a few things. But wrong about the B12 and ou. OSU needs all the help it can get.
I could be wrong, but nothing in this thread explains how it helps. Over the past 7 years, OU wrestling has a total of 2 AAs. If their program folded up tomorrow, the Big12 wouldn't even notice. If anything, OSU would probably pick up a few more in-state recruits.

I could be wrong, but nothing in this thread explains how it helps. Over the past 7 years, OU wrestling has a total of 2 AAs. If their program folded up tomorrow, the Big12 wouldn't even notice. If anything, OSU would probably pick up a few more in-state recruits.
For at least a couple of reasons. One, it generates interest within the state. Two, ou doesn't have to be bad going forward. Three, the B12 needs all the help it can get. You can make the argument that the demise of the B12 has contributed mightily to the demise of OSU wrestlng. Although I'd make the argument that J Smith is the biggest cause.

it was 2021 when they tied us for the big 12 championship.

The current coaching staff is recruiting very well with the top kids in state. We need that competition.

OSU can pick out any in-state recruits they want whether OU has wrestling or not

Reactions: giddyup
it was 2021 when they tied us for the big 12 championship.

The current coaching staff is recruiting very well with the top kids in state. We need that competition.
Sure, then OU flopped at Nationals as usual. The only results that count.

Their staff is doing well so far. I wanted Sommer & Giddens. If OU is bad it doesn't matter. If they're good, it's more competition. And a team that finishes 18th at NCAAs doesn't need more competition.

OSU can pick out any in-state recruits they want whether OU has wrestling or not
I know, OSU gets any in-state guy they want. Like Beric Jordan. And Jace Roller.

Reactions: driad
OU currently might not be a powerhouse program (meaning like top 10), but it will always have the means and the ability to do so. Although they might be down right now there will always be 2-4 guys in the lineup who will be top 10 ranked weight class and can compete at nationals. And just that little bit of extra talent is enough to strengthen the conference weight class by weight class. Do they really do much for helping OSU? No, but having that in-state rival is still great for the fans and sport.

Reactions: JAY45
OU currently might not be a powerhouse program (meaning like top 10), but it will always have the means and the ability to do so. Although they might be down right now there will always be 2-4 guys in the lineup who will be top 10 ranked weight class and can compete at nationals. And just that little bit of extra talent is enough to strengthen the conference weight class by weight class. Do they really do much for helping OSU? No, but having that in-state rival is still great for the fans and sport.
not to mention allocations for the conference....

Sure, then OU flopped at Nationals as usual. The only results that count.

Their staff is doing well so far. I wanted Sommer & Giddens. If OU is bad it doesn't matter. If they're good, it's more competition. And a team that finishes 18th at NCAAs doesn't need more competition.
Their nationals results aren't really that important. It is the allocation process, based on in-season results, that helps

Reactions: vhsalum
a team that finishes 18th at NCAAs doesn't need more competition.
"Rising tides raise all ships."

If OU starts beating OSU in wrestling don't you think there would be some introspection about how things operate at OSU? With changes and investments to follow? I think that having a competitive OU makes OSU much better.

There have also been a lot of changes made this offseason after finishing 18th.. and the schedule is probably one of the most difficult in the country.

If OU starts beating OSU in wrestling don't you think there would be some introspection about how things operate at OSU? With changes and investments to follow? I think that having a competitive OU makes OSU much better.

There have also been a lot of changes made this offseason after finishing 18th.. and the schedule is probably one of the most difficult in the country.
OSU also finished 14th in 2022. Not to mention 13th in 2018.

The introspection, changes & investments should have been happening for years. Without having to lose to OU.

It is a major D1 program with some notable history of success. I don’t like defending OU’s right to exist, as much as anyone else, but wrestling as a whole is better off. The problem I see, if they go to another, smaller, conference, the school loses interest in wrestling and we (the sport of wrestling) lose another D1 program. Not good.

Reactions: NEcowboy

Like what? not being sarcastic - genuinely wondering.

Couple of others...

- Guerrero joined the RTC
- the Rin Sakamoto commit shows creativity (as others previously pointed out)
- the portal transfers (plus some posts on here) indicate OSU is onboard with NIL
- going by Blair's posts and Chris Perry's recent interview -- OSU seems to be all in on top 10 type talent, bypassing some lower ranked recruits and in-state guys

Reactions: vhsalum and DPJ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT