ADVERTISEMENT

Julius Jones

Just drove around the Capitol and nothing. Stopped at every red light, no issues. Drove by the governors house. A couple of camera crews, that’s it. All clear get after it.

Reactions: Poketologist
I feel horrible for the victims family. But the government should not be in the business of vengeance. They just fück it up.

this is no vengeance, this is a measure proscribed by law for a criminal offense. The government ostensibly is required to keep its citizens safe and free from criminal activities of all manner. Life without parole doesn’t mean life without parole.

This ahole committed a crime, was sentenced by a jury of his peers and will suffer the consequences of his stupidity. This isn’t vengeance it’s justice. The government needs this mantle because you don’t want citizens taking matters into their own hands.

this is no vengeance, this is a measure proscribed by law for a criminal offense. The government ostensibly is required to keep its citizens safe and free from criminal activities of all manner. Life without parole doesn’t mean life without parole.

This ahole committed a crime, was sentenced by a jury of his peers and will suffer the consequences of his stupidity. This isn’t vengeance it’s justice. The government needs this mantle because you don’t want citizens taking matters into their own hands.

Again, a permanent punishment applied in a deeply flawed system.

Reactions: SSS!!!
deeply flawed system.
I do not accept the notion that our system is deeply flawed. Of course, anything made by man is imperfect, hence, two levels of appeals in state court, plus constitutional review at three levels of federal courts. On top of that, the system gives every advantage imaginable to the accused at the trial level.

Reactions: iasooner2000
The death penalty works only if the criminal justice system is 100% infallible. But it's not. Happy to be proven wrong.

Romans 12: 17-19.
200.gif

Take it but leave it in the trunk.

But you didn't hear that from me.
Man that makes me nervous I am going to have the kid with me and my sister comes in from Cali that night so I am stuck up there for a bit. Guess I will make sure I at least throw my pistol in the car. This rioting is so dumb. How does burning down where we all live help?

The death penalty works only if the criminal justice system is 100% infallible. But it's not. Happy to be proven wrong.
Personally I would reserve it for multiple murders, or extremely grizzly murders. The guy who cut his bosses head off at the workplace comes to mind. Can't realy come up with a good reason not kill the dude. Same with Jeffrey Dahmer characters. I can think if other things for rapists and molesters that are far worse than death. That being said rehabilitation is necessary for anyone that is going to get back out. I would like to see a program established that will mentor and teach job skills and life skills before anyone exits a prison. Lots of details to work out though on that idea and not sure if you will get the bang for the buck.

Personally I would reserve it for multiple murders, or extremely grizzly murders. The guy who cut his bosses head off at the workplace comes to mind. Can't realy come up with a good reason not kill the dude. Same with Jeffrey Dahmer characters. I can think if other things for rapists and molesters that are far worse than death. That being said rehabilitation is necessary for anyone that is going to get back out. I would like to see a program established that will mentor and teach job skills and life skills before anyone exits a prison. Lots of details to work out though on that idea and not sure if you will get the bang for the buck.
Oklahoma needs prison reform. We are a huge incarcerator of people and are actually the #1 incarcerator of women in the world. I have a hard time believing that Oklahoma women are intrinsically more prone to felonious activity than anywhere else in the world.

Of course, I could be wrong. Most of you haven't met my college girlfriend.

Reactions: Cowguy
I do not accept the notion that our system is deeply flawed. Of course, anything made by man is imperfect, hence, two levels of appeals in state court, plus constitutional review at three levels of federal courts. On top of that, the system gives every advantage imaginable to the accused at the trial level.
We have all seen injustice. I have personally been deposed for malpractice cases (mine and others) and despite my trying to get the lawyer to understand medical and surgical concepts and interventions, I was frustrated by their line of questioning. I could not get them to understand what I was getting across. They had their agenda and trying to discern the truth wasn't one of them.

FYI - my one and only malpractice case happened in 2000 when I was a third year resident in Kansas City. At the time, the Medicolegal climate was such that lawyers could easily sue teaching hospitals because they had a track record of settling. It was cheaper for them to settle than to pursue defense of their residents.

The plaintiffs attorney knew that they could always invoke: lack of training and lack of supervision; and that teaching hospitals were easy targets. In fact, by the time I graduated residency all five of us in my Chief resident class had been named in a suit, and one of us was named twice. (We're all successful surgeons now).

My particular case involved an 88 year old woman with pulmonary hypertension, who was anticoagulated on heparin; and had a pulmonary arterial catheter placed way too far by the anesthesiologist for her case the day before. She began coughing up blood, consistent with a pulmonary artery injury. She lost consciousness and coded. I was the first one on the scene because I happened to be in the ICU at the time. All efforts were unsuccessful and she died. No one blamed me at the time.

Her body was cremated the day after she died so no autopsy could be done. I understand the family was pissed about it. They brought a malpractice suit and I was named. I was served a subpoena on the day my 9 month old daughter was having surgery - the court official brought the papers to her fücking hospital room at the Children's hospital.

The hospital's lawyers were no help at all. They were never present at any of the depositions. This dragged on for two years when I finally got word that I had been dismissed "with prejudice" which means I couldnt be accused again. No money was paid on my behalf.

So now every time I apply for privileges or a medical license Inhave to explain every detail of that case that happened 20 years ago, wasn't my fault, and that I was completely cleared. It's frustrating and time consuming and always brings back the images of this poor little old lady gasping for air and coughing up blood as she lost consciousness. Fücking nightmare.

So yeah, we've got an imperfect system.

Prisons seem like the place to start, if we’re talking about justice reform.

Getting cornholed and surviving like an animal doesn’t seem to put you on a good path.

I wonder why life without parole is not an option for Jones? You basically offer the Governor an all or nothing option. For one side of the equation it is a losing proposition no matter what he decides. Especially to over turn a conviction. Seems a life sentence without parole might be the best option if there is a 1% chance he is innocent?
Wow, he did what I was wondering about.

If a guy spends the remainder of his life in prison is that really any different than putting the dude to death

Stitt took action, good for him. Dude will be locked up until he dies. And he did it after talking to the victim's family.

Everybody can go home now. Nothing to see here. No rioting, no burning shit down.

Yes. Death is irreversible.
Stitt showed mercy and leadership. Good for him.
He took the Jeff Flake/Pontius Pilate route. If he had reasonable doubt about the guy’s guilt, he should have pardoned him. If he had no reasonable doubt, the he should have let the sentence be carried out. THAT would have exhibited leadership. All Stitt did was punt it down the road to a subsequent governor.

He took the Jeff Flake/Pontius Pilate route. If he had reasonable doubt about the guy’s guilt, he should have pardoned him. If he had no reasonable doubt, the he should have let the sentence be carried out. THAT would have exhibited leadership. All Stitt did was punt it down the road to a subsequent governor.
It’s not punted. He’s not eligible to apply for commutation again. It’s not kicked down the road.

Well, tag this thread and reply again once the future governor gives him a full pardon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT