ADVERTISEMENT

Job question

cornichon

Heisman Candidate
Jan 5, 2003
I have posted here a few times over the last few years about my background and protracted job search. Thankfully I was able to find a job about six months ago as an internal compliance auditor for a bank. I actually like the job, but it doesn't pay what I think I'm worth based on my education and experience and doesn't really allow me to use the law school education I'm still paying a lot of money for.

On a whim, I applied for a position at Magellan a little over two months ago that is more in line with that legal background. To my surprise, they called me yesterday for an interview. The interview is tomorrow, so I don't have a lot of time for an all-encompassing download, but does anyone have any advice for interviewing with an oil & gas company when I don't have any industry experience? They obviously have my resume and were comfortable enough with it to give me an interview, but is there an industry primer I can read to give myself at least a fundamental knowledge before I head in? Anything I should be particularly aware of? Wary of? I'm aware enough to know that the industry is hurting based on fallen oil prices, but what kind of impact does that have on a midstream company compared to up- or downstream? To Magellan specifically? I certainly don't want to burn a bridge with my current company by leaving after only six months, only to suffer through layoffs at a beleaguered company shortly thereafter.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I work for them and we are actually conducting four interviews for that position tomorrow. The guys (and gal) that you will be interviewing with like straight talk. Be really aggressive with your positive attributes and demand the salary you deserve. I'll be in there too and I will do what I can to help. Also wear a tuxedo.

Thanks, Harry. If you're going to be in there, based on the list of names the recruiter gave me, by process of elimination I can guess who you are. Look forward to meeting you tomorrow.

Step-brothers-pam1.jpg

Reactions: JonnyVito
Interview postponed. Recruiter didn't have it on the calendar for the right day after we had to move it once. Ah well. Next week!

That's the recruiter's second strike.
Nah, no big deal. We had to move it the first time because of me, and she was really apologetic about today. Admittedly a little annoying because you get "up" for the interview, but now I can just go last and blow everyone else away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT