ADVERTISEMENT

iowa @ OSU

LoveOSUSports - what ya got for next weekend?

go Pokes !!!
Wrestling “Tailgate” at Hideaway from 11-1. $9.25 person which includes one topping pizza and salad buffet plus soda/tea and includes tax. I have 15 people signed up and need a minimum of 25. A guaranteed lunch spot! Let me know if you are coming!

I'll give it a go...
25 Iowa Dec, Iowa 3-0
33 Ok St Dec, 3-3
41 Ok St Dec, Ok St 6-3
49 Ok St Dec, Ok St 9-3
57 Iowa Dec, Ok St 9-6
65 Iowa Dec, 9-9
74 Ok St Dec, Ok St 12-9
84 Ok St Dec, Ok St 15-9
97 Iowa Dec, Ok St 15-12
HW Ok St Dec, Ok St 18-12
Looks fairly chalk to me. Iowa could win 74 or 84 and it would be a tie and go to criteria.

I'll give it a go...
25 Iowa Dec, Iowa 3-0
33 Ok St Dec, 3-3
41 Ok St Dec, Ok St 6-3
49 Ok St Dec, Ok St 9-3
57 Iowa Dec, Ok St 9-6
65 Iowa Dec, 9-9
74 Ok St Dec, Ok St 12-9
84 Ok St Dec, Ok St 15-9
97 Iowa Dec, Ok St 15-12
HW Ok St Dec, Ok St 18-12
Looks fairly chalk to me. Iowa could win 74 or 84 and it would be a tie and go to criteria.

Rogers if still not 100% will need to be careful with Marinelli and not give up a major. Weigel could obviously win 97 as well.

Toss ups IMO are at 125 (Edge Iowa), 133 (Edge OSU), 174 (Edge OSU), 184 (Edge OSU), 197 (Edge Iowa).

Rogers if still not 100% will need to be careful with Marinelli and not give up a major. Weigel could obviously win 97 as well.

Toss ups IMO are at 125 (Edge Iowa), 133 (Edge OSU), 174 (Edge OSU), 184 (Edge OSU), 197 (Edge Iowa).
Marinelli is not really a major threat against well coached top 10 guys. I'm more concerned about G. Rogers look fine against Missouri.

G didn't look quite right against Mizzou. I don't know if that was because of his opponent or because he has bruised ribs from the Air Force match.

If he is hurting, I would sit him against Iowa and let him heal up for Big12s. Iowa, PSU, & tOSU have all sat guys this year, but I'm not sure that's John's style.

Seen some videos of this absolute idiot that Fix is wrestling. How good is he? I’m hoping Fix makes the clown cry.

Seen some videos of this absolute idiot that Fix is wrestling. How good is he? I’m hoping Fix makes the clown cry.

He was a very good young talent last year as a FR and has progressed since his arrival at Iowa especially over the last month.

He beat Suriano 6-4 and Lizak 6-1 recently.

125 - I hate to say it, but Picc needs to stall his butt off in the 1st period and do anything he can to avoid giving up a takedown. Lee has had gas tank issues (apparently from a mono-like illness), but he is still dangerous. If this is a one score match going to the 3rd, Picc has a shot.
133 - DeSanto has some behavior issues, but is also a tremendous wrestler. I'm hopeful Daton's positioning and top game can shut him down, but Fix needs to get on his offense. This could be a barn-burner.
141 - I wasn't disappointed by Brock against Missouri. Its a terrible match-up for him and Eierman has pinned much better wrestlers than Kaid (Heil, world silver medalist Beka Lomtadze). Still, he needs to get over the hump and get the win here.
149 - It sure looked to me like G was either afraid to extend or couldn't against Missouri and it really hurt him. If he is injured, I'm not sure why he was out there. Lugo is capable and seems to be on the upswing. I don't like where this is going...
157 - Young struggles to generate offense at times. Sheets needs to get on his more often. This one will likely be closer than you'd expect based on rankings.
165 - Rogers took a big step forward from where he was against Air Force to where he was against Missouri. Other than the late takedown he gave up when he was looking for a big move to score bonus, he wrestled well. That said, Marinelli is rock solid, hard to score on, and an absolute bull. I don't see bonus unless Chandler does it to himself.
174 - I'm very worried about this one because Joe cutting to 165 is going to tax his already questionable tank. Bowman may not be up to the usual Hawkeye standard, but he is no push-over either. Joe has to find the balance between scoring early to build a lead and not exhausting himself too quickly.
184 - Jacobe wrestled with a lot of heart against Missouri, coming back from the 1st period takedown and long ride. This one will be a clash of styles with Wilke often unwilling to pull the trigger. Cash did beat Taylor Venz (Nebraska) recently which was his biggest win to date. Toss-up.
197 - I'm not seeing a toss-up here and I certainly don't have Warner with the edge. Weigel may have to open up more in this one than he has since coming back, but his tank hasn't looked like an issue. When he needed a TD against Missouri, he got one in short order. Warner got techd at the Midlands so he is going to need to stay off the bottom if he is going to win this one. I'm not saying the Hawkeye can't win, of course he can, but I've got Weigel as the favorite here.
285 - Does Derek White know how to ride legs? Because Stoll cannot escape that technique at this point in his career and it has led to both his losses. I'm very interested to see this one. Last year, White got to Stoll's legs plenty, but couldn't do a thing from there which cost him the match. The eye test says White is much improved this season and Stoll isn't what he was. That said, can White finish a takedown? Can he hold Stoll down without riding the legs (which I don't ever recall seeing Derek attempt at HWT)?

This one seems destined to have many twists and turns with so many matches that could swing to either team.

125 - I hate to say it, but Picc needs to stall his butt off in the 1st period and do anything he can to avoid giving up a takedown. Lee has had gas tank issues (apparently from a mono-like illness), but he is still dangerous. If this is a one score match going to the 3rd, Picc has a shot.
133 - DeSanto has some behavior issues, but is also a tremendous wrestler. I'm hopeful Daton's positioning and top game can shut him down, but Fix needs to get on his offense. This could be a barn-burner.
141 - I wasn't disappointed by Brock against Missouri. Its a terrible match-up for him and Eierman has pinned much better wrestlers than Kaid (Heil, world silver medalist Beka Lomtadze). Still, he needs to get over the hump and get the win here.
149 - It sure looked to me like G was either afraid to extend or couldn't against Missouri and it really hurt him. If he is injured, I'm not sure why he was out there. Lugo is capable and seems to be on the upswing. I don't like where this is going...
157 - Young struggles to generate offense at times. Sheets needs to get on his more often. This one will likely be closer than you'd expect based on rankings.
165 - Rogers took a big step forward from where he was against Air Force to where he was against Missouri. Other than the late takedown he gave up when he was looking for a big move to score bonus, he wrestled well. That said, Marinelli is rock solid, hard to score on, and an absolute bull. I don't see bonus unless Chandler does it to himself.
174 - I'm very worried about this one because Joe cutting to 165 is going to tax his already questionable tank. Bowman may not be up to the usual Hawkeye standard, but he is no push-over either. Joe has to find the balance between scoring early to build a lead and not exhausting himself too quickly.
184 - Jacobe wrestled with a lot of heart against Missouri, coming back from the 1st period takedown and long ride. This one will be a clash of styles with Wilke often unwilling to pull the trigger. Cash did beat Taylor Venz (Nebraska) recently which was his biggest win to date. Toss-up.
197 - I'm not seeing a toss-up here and I certainly don't have Warner with the edge. Weigel may have to open up more in this one than he has since coming back, but his tank hasn't looked like an issue. When he needed a TD against Missouri, he got one in short order. Warner got techd at the Midlands so he is going to need to stay off the bottom if he is going to win this one. I'm not saying the Hawkeye can't win, of course he can, but I've got Weigel as the favorite here.
285 - Does Derek White know how to ride legs? Because Stoll cannot escape that technique at this point in his career and it has led to both his losses. I'm very interested to see this one. Last year, White got to Stoll's legs plenty, but couldn't do a thing from there which cost him the match. The eye test says White is much improved this season and Stoll isn't what he was. That said, can White finish a takedown? Can he hold Stoll down without riding the legs (which I don't ever recall seeing Derek attempt at HWT)?

This one seems destined to have many twists and turns with so many matches that could swing to either team.

To me this dual really comes down to OSU and the issues we are dealing with. The health at 141 and HWY and the weight cutting at 174 and 184.

If those things turn out to be a hindrance we will probably lose. If we can navigate these issues then we will win and might do so by a pretty good margin.

team.

Should Fix work for just the win or for a win (maybe major) and team point deduction?

It'd be really nice to go into 141 up 7 to -1 :)

The dual will come down to who decides to give starters a extra week of rest.Will we see Shomers instead of Rodgers will Hone wrestle 149?Will Iowa sit Lee,Desanto or Stoll? My opinion is we see each team sit at least 1 starter

The dual will come down to who decides to give starters a extra week of rest.Will we see Shomers instead of Rodgers will Hone wrestle 149?Will Iowa sit Lee,Desanto or Stoll? My opinion is we see each team sit at least 1 starter

so, probably each team has multiple wrestlers at various weights and a chess match begins...depends upon which coach has to send their wrestler out first

Reactions: osu2082
125: Picc vs Lee. Very interested to see the strategy here. Will it be to avoid a big 1st period and then win late (the Ronnie Bresser match)? Or will it be stay aggressive (but smart) in the 1st (like the Sebastian Rivera match)? Hoping it looks more like the Rivera match. I'm staying on the Picc train, Nick by decision.
133: Daton vs DeSanto. Posted about this one before. Daton by decision.
141: Kaid vs Murin. Neither guy looks confident to me. Concerned about this one, but I'll say Kaid by decision.
149: G vs Lugo. Didn't like how G looked the last time out. Iowa by decision.
157: Wyatt vs Young. Wyatt looks like a different wrestler in neutral. When his top game kicks in, look out. I don't think he's quite there yet though, so Iowa by decision.
165: Chandler vs Marinelli. Iowa by decision. If Chandler's gas tank isn't back to pre injury level this could be bonus.
174: Joe vs Bowman. Not crazy about a cutting Joe vs a high energy guy, but Joe by decision.
184: Jacobe vs Wilcke. Wilcke is a stay at home, conservative type. But he's solid and a previous 197 lber. Iowa by decision.
197: Preston vs Warner. Another interesting matchup with each guy posing a challenge. Preston's top game vs Warner's pace. Preston by decision (bonus possible, though not likely).
285: Derek vs Stoll. Derek's not a leg rider, but I wouldn't mind seeing him trap the ankle like Dakota does (PSU guys do it also, is it a PA thing?). Derek by decision.
Good guys 18, other guys 12

Saw predictions from NittanyChris and from Obe (in the Daton vs DeSanto thread).

Anybody else going to make a prediction on the dual?

Saw predictions from NittanyChris and from Obe (in the Daton vs DeSanto thread).

I looked on the Iowa forum just to see what they are saying. A couple of Oklahoma posters got creamed. They did our stalling routine, that we took 14th in the country last year, that they scored more bonus points in the tournament than we scored points etc. I really hope we beat them. Predictions Lee wins decision at 25, Daton wins decision at 33, Kaid wins decision at 41, Lugo wins decision at 49 only because Kadon's last match where he was not any threat to win that match probably because of rib problems(hope he is healed up), 57 Young by decision, 65 Marinelli by decision, 74 Smith by decision, 84 Smith by decision, 97 Weigel by decision, and the HWT White by decision but he has to wrestle smart and tough against big opponents. That would be 18 to 12. We can't afford inconsistencies in this dual

Reactions: Wrassler17
I see 15-15 unless someone gets a bonus or DeSanto loses a team point for Iowa. Not sure which one of those is more likely.

I've been over there. Some good posters, and a bunch of idiots.

I'm going to make a wild call here...

Picc over Lee
Desanto over Fix
3-3

Kaid with a pin!
Gfeller with an injured defeat
9-6

SHEETS with a dec.
Bull major
12-10

Joe loses by dec
Smith wins by dec
15-13

Preston and White by dec

Final 21-13

125 - Lee by decision. I think it looks a lot like the first time they met. Lee with a TD and turn in 1 and Picc makes a surge to have a shot. Ideally you want to see the gap closing a bit. 0-3

133 - Fix by decision. 6-3 or something similar. DeSanto's forward pressure will help Fix and his offense and Daton is so tough to score on and will also be able to ride him. 3-3

141 - Brock by dec and possible major. This is still a bit of an unsettled weight for Iowa as some are saying Turk might get a shot. Brock in GIA will be to tough for either. 6-3

149 - All about health. If G is healthy he wins somewhat comfortably. If not Iowa probably steals this one. I'll hope for a healthier G. 9-3

157 - Iowa. Sheets has made strides but his offense from neutral is still a work in progress and he can still give up his legs to easy. 9-6

165 - Marinelli is just to sound and to tough for Chandler and he won't get himself into positions where Chandler could catch him. 9-9

174 - Even a smaller cutting Joe is just the better and more technical wrestler. Win by decision. 12-9

184 - Jacobe will also be underweight but is still the more explosive and more talented guy wrestling his last dual in GIA against a strong and tough opponent. 15-9

197 - How rusty is Preston? We will find out. If he is close to back then he wins a close decision. If not then the impressive young Iowa wrestler gets it done. To be fair I'll say Iowa here. 15-12

285 - White has been fighting a nagging a injury for a few weeks and so he doesn't come in firing at all cylinders either but has just shown better than Stoll who looks likes a shell of himself. I think it's very close with White winning. 18-12 cowboys

Marinelli is not really a major threat against well coached top 10 guys. I'm more concerned about G. Rogers look fine against Missouri.
Not a major threat get a clue he beat Howe twice this year and Shields when he was #5.

Who the heck is Howe? I think Marinelli is tough but beating Howe twice doesn't mean much to me since I don't even know who he is.
You probably mean Wick. Howe wrestled for Oklahoma his senior year and was 1 of our great moments with Perry upsetting him in the finals.

Not a major threat get a clue he beat Howe twice this year and Shields when he was #5.

A major threat as in a major decision threat. He isn't questioning his standing at the weight class.

Not a threat to get a major decision. Look at what I replied to. I'm assuming you mean Wick, dont know who Howe would be? Pretty sure he has no MDs this year or last year against any in top 20.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT