ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa dual

I did listen to it, even paid you a compliment about it in a prior post. Unfortunately Derek was incorrect about some of the things he said.

Maybe you are more aware of the inner workings of our RTC. You certainly seem very optimistic about where things are headed. Hopefully you're right. I can only go off what I've seen & heard to this point.
I’ve listened to all of them Lee. I didn’t finish this most recent episode. It’s your opinion, but when you called Eirman Columbia trailer trash, I believe that’s what you referred to him as, I decided it wasn’t my cup of tea. Bashing college kids doesn’t really get me excited anymore. I’ve done it before and always tried to apologize.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
David Carr wrestled in 2020 and was a third year sophomore last year when he made the finals.
Thanks for the correction bro. 25. Doesn’t change much as far as the numbers. Glad to see that’s all you gathered from that.

I’ve listened to all of them Lee. I didn’t finish this most recent episode. It’s your opinion, but when you called Eirman Columbia trailer trash, I believe that’s what you referred to him as, I decided it wasn’t my cup of tea. Bashing college kids doesn’t really get me excited anymore. I’ve done it before and always tried to apologize.

He's 25 years old but apologies that I offended you.

I went back to 2010 and Andrew Howe snuck in as a finalist in 2009 that I noticed.

2010:
Matt McDonough
Andrew Long
Kyle Dake

2011:
David Taylor

2012:
Nico Megaludis
Logan Steiber
Dylan Ness

2013:
Matt Brown, went on a mission but this was his first year.

2014:
Jason Tsirtsis
J’Den Cox

2015:
Nathan Tomasello
Zeke Moisey
Isaiah Martinez
Kyle Snyder

2016:
Myles Martin
No Nickal

2017:
Cenzo Joseph
Mark Hall

2018:
Spencer Lee
Yianni Diakomihalis
Hayden Hidlay

2019:
Daton Fix
Mekhi Lewis

2021:
AJ Ferrari
David Carr
Carter Starocci

So it looks like over the past 11 seasons there have been 26 true freshman or RS finalists. Penn State has 7 of them. I didn’t count Aaron Brooks. We have 2. Gotta close this gap. Now is that developing or evaluating recruits?
Jason Nolf made the finals as a freshman as well, so PSU has 8? That year he lost to Martinez from Illinois. 26 total.

Last edited:
He did. Turfpoke is correct that it is possible and I was wrong.
It’s been frustrating Lee, but when PSU loses Cenzo, Hall, Nickal, Nolf, and Retherford (what is that like 18 finals appearances) they reload with Brooks and Starocci. They’ve now got transfers coming into fill the gaps. RBY, Nick Lee, Cassar, Matt Brown, and Quentin Wright had more traditional development, which the top schools can compete with.
As I was looking through brackets it was crazy how many guys, I’d forgotten, from all the different universities that went 2-2 or 1-2 and did not place in their first NCAA tournament, placed the next year, then won 2 titles. Hopefully we’ve got 2 of those guys in the room right now. If we do we’ve got a shot next year. Unfortunately, this year we are just going to have to enjoy watching wrestlers develop and cheer for individual titles.

Reactions: OAMC99
John's presser...

Also, if anyone is interested in watching the Iowa dual matches, they're on youtube under USA wrestling.

Reactions: Harleycowboy
Surber will never be a top heavy. We need to fix this ASAP.
What did it for me with Surber is when he lost to an unranked, underclassmen, that weighed the exact same as he did at weigh-ins. I believe it was against UNI?

Reactions: osudog
What did it for me with Surber is when he lost to an unranked, underclassmen, that weighed the exact same as he did at weigh-ins. I believe it was against UNI?
I think it's a little too early to count him out. He might weigh the same, but he needs time to get his strength up to where it should be. He's got the ability to be a good wrestler, just not the size I think. He definitely needs to put some work in this off-season

Reactions: turfpoke

Did you miss him against AJ Nevills? Jayden Woodruff? Peter Ming?

Surber is solid.

Did you miss him against AJ Nevills? Jayden Woodruff? Peter Ming?

Surber is solid.
I’m with you Lee. He’s transitioning into a HWT. He’s beat out a Round of 12 guy for the spot. I’ve seen improvement and short of a transfer coming in we need him to get stronger and keep improving.

I’m with you Lee. He’s transitioning into a HWT. He’s beat out a Round of 12 guy for the spot. I’ve seen improvement and short of a transfer coming in we need him to get stronger and keep improving.

I know he and Doucet have had some battles too... wouldn't count KD out.

I went back and watched the Gfeller vs Murin match and in the second period I counted 8-9 times where Gfeller got to his feet and Murin either mat returned him or ran him out. Not once did he work on top for a tilt. I’m not one of those who like to just call stalling on everything but in this case I believe Gfeller should of got an escape once Murin was warned or a stalling point. Regardless he still needed to take Murin down once and he failed to even attempt a shot in that match I think.

G is borderline AA and he is super funky with the ankles and reversals, he has good defense but needs to get more offense going. I really hope he AA’s and can rack up some bonus points for us at nationals.
I also think his performance at nationals will determine if he starts for us next year.

Reactions: DPJ
I went back and watched the Gfeller vs Murin match and in the second period I counted 8-9 times where Gfeller got to his feet and Murin either mat returned him or ran him out. Not once did he work on top for a tilt. I’m not one of those who like to just call stalling on everything but in this case I believe Gfeller should of got an escape once Murin was warned or a stalling point. Regardless he still needed to take Murin down once and he failed to even attempt a shot in that match I think.

G is borderline AA and he is super funky with the ankles and reversals, he has good defense but needs to get more offense going. I really hope he AA’s and can rack up some bonus points for us at nationals.
I also think his performance at nationals will determine if he starts for us next year.

He really needs to work on his offense from neutral. He loves to counter and puts his leg out there to much for him to AA IMO.

Guys at nationals will have scouted him and he won’t have as many opportunities at a reversal which has really become his point scoring go to.

I agree here. Surber is a competitor. He has a drive. Sure he's had some head-scratching losses but every match I've seen of his he goes hard.

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
Yeah I like this Adam guy.Asks the tough questions.John did not have much to say about future plans so looks like he has not really changed or understands what has changed around him in college wrestling.
Coach dodged these questions pretty hard. "We get paid to run a college program. Anything beyond that is volunteer". Youch. Yeah, props to Adam for asking questions that John is probably tired of getting asked.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Guys at nationals will have scouted him and he won’t have as many opportunities at a reversal which has really become his point scoring go to.
Bet. That leg wingroll will have/has had diminishing returns. It's like that baseball slide shot he used to do: it worked a few time bc it was so technically suspect that guys didn't see it coming.
Fix used to be hung up on a few of these sparkly moves, too: the leg wingroll, inside trip, overtie shrug, far ankle scramble. These were his go-tos. But, he seems to have added some traditional stuff. Hope Gfeller can stand in there and battle for position instead of swinging for the fence.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082
Bet. That leg wingroll will have/has had diminishing returns. It's like that baseball slide shot he used to do: it worked a few time bc it was so technically suspect that guys didn't see it coming.
Fix used to be hung up on a few of these sparkly moves, too: the leg wingroll, inside trip, overtie shrug, far ankle scramble. These were his go-tos. But, he seems to have added some traditional stuff. Hope Gfeller can stand in there and battle for position instead of swinging for the fence.
G also has a high c now like Daton. He just didn't get to it against Murin. To me it looked like he got caught up in a hand fighting/pushing match.

Reactions: je55m00r3
G also has a high c now like Daton. He just didn't get to it against Murin. To me it looked like he got caught up in a hand fighting/pushing match.
Which is what Iowa wants. They want you to get distracted by heavy clubs and forward motion. Most of them, Spencer Lee being a major exception, don't have much offense outside of that. It's just so relentless that guys get distracted by it.

Which is what Iowa wants. They want you to get distracted by heavy clubs and forward motion. Most of them, Spencer Lee being a major exception, don't have much offense outside of that. It's just so relentless that guys get distracted by it.
Yes, many Iowa guys wrestle that way. I would say Kemerer is another exception besides Spencer Lee.

A couple of years ago there was some chatter that Evan Wick might transfer to OSU, so I listened to him on a podcast. He said Marinelli is really strong and holds great position, but he only has 2 offensive moves. Said Lee is the only one on the team that he considered a good technician. Kemerer was out due to injury that year, so I think he might have forgotten about him.

Last edited:
Coach dodged these questions pretty hard. "We get paid to run a college program. Anything beyond that is volunteer". Youch. Yeah, props to Adam for asking questions that John is probably tired of getting asked.
For sure.Terrible response.Kind of like yeah if we have any scraps left we will toss them to the RTC.Not sure he has the drive he once did.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Yes, many Iowa guys wrestle that way. I would say Kemerer is another exception besides Spencer Lee.

A couple of years ago there was some chatter that Evan Wick might transfer to OSU, so I listened to him on a podcast. He said Marinelli is really strong and holds great position, but he only has 2 offensive moves. Said Lee is the only one on the team that he considered a good technician. Kemerer was out due to injury that year, so I think he might have forgot about him.
Pretty bad when I think Cassioppi has the most offense out of all of these guys.
Desanto- outstanding offense against lower ranked wrestlers.
Eirman
Murin
Young
Marinelli
Abe Assad
Jacob Warner
Feel free to prove me wrong.

For sure.Terrible response.Kind of like yeah if we have any scraps left we will toss them to the RTC.Not sure he has the drive he once did.
He said he coaches the college team and that is what he gets paid to do. Anything else is volunteer work. An attorney might think John is doing a great job of separating the university from any type of NCAA violation. I’m not sure, just throwing out a different perspective. I’d be happy if we had team fox catcher level talent rolling around teaching the college guys daily.

He said he coaches the college team and that is what he gets paid to do. Anything else is volunteer work. An attorney might think John is doing a great job of separating the university from any type of NCAA violation. I’m not sure, just throwing out a different perspective. I’d be happy if we had team fox catcher level talent rolling around teaching the college guys daily.
You’re correct here but that doesn’t fit the narrative.

A couple of years ago at NCAAs, Tom Brands & Cael Sanderson were asked about RTCs and their impact on wrestling. Neither one dodged the question. They both acknowledged RTCs are good for the college guys as well as the post grads.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT