ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Ford EV article

aix_xpert

Heisman Winner
Sep 5, 2001

So the CEO decides to try the EV road trip himself, and finds that EVs are terrible for long road trips because charging takes too long. Well, we all knew that, and it certainly justifies their pivot towards hybrid models. But as I read the article, I had to ask myself:

"The Ford F150 Lightning has been on the market for almost a year now, and the CEO is JUST NOW trying it out?" How can a CEO know his customers if he doesn't even know his own products? Not a good look for their leadership imo.

So the CEO decides to try the EV road trip himself, and finds that EVs are terrible for long road trips because charging takes too long. Well, we all knew that, and it certainly justifies their pivot towards hybrid models. But as I read the article, I had to ask myself:

"The Ford F150 Lightning has been on the market for almost a year now, and the CEO is JUST NOW trying it out?" How can a CEO know his customers if he doesn't even know his own products? Not a good look for their leadership imo.

I've been involved in product development projects over the years where we had a lot of struggles trying to achieve functional intent. The product just wasn't ready for roll out. But the higher-ups, in their push to drive stock holder value and please the board of directors, used the old saying, "There comes a time in every project when you shoot the engineers and start production". The engineers are pushed aside, and production starts with all of it's unresolved problems.

That same arrogance and disregard brought down the Space Shuttle Challenger. I have no sympathy for Ford or the people who buy their EVs.

7j7nov.jpg

I actually looked seriously at the Lightning just due to the outrageous power numbers. Then I saw the numbers that when towing the range drops to like 60 miles. EVs are a joke. One day the technology will catch up to the demands of the average American but right now it is just a virtue signaling purchase. If you live in a city and 99% of your miles are 10 miles to and from work each day then it might be great for you. In rural OK, forget it.

Plus, I still like the sound of a V8 and a vehicle that doesn't drive like an EZ-GO.

The crazy part of this that we have all this new tech that will outdated soon and hydrogen will be the new craze. Ice cars will still be kicking.

Oh yeah Jim Farley is a cousin to the late Chris Farley. So a tight up the tail pipe meme would be fitting. Or the Farley anheuser meme

I actually looked seriously at the Lightning just due to the outrageous power numbers. Then I saw the numbers that when towing the range drops to like 60 miles. EVs are a joke. One day the technology will catch up to the demands of the average American but right now it is just a virtue signaling purchase. If you live in a city and 99% of your miles are 10 miles to and from work each day then it might be great for you. In rural OK, forget it.

Plus, I still like the sound of a V8 and a vehicle that doesn't drive like an EZ-GO.
I looked for the exact same reasons. I wanted the rivian when I first heard of them. Glad I didn’t order for the quality issues and all above. Those 3.9 numbers in a truck. Yes please. I would still keep my og m2 though

Reactions: OUSOONER67

mLkYAz.gif

I still have to laugh when I take our pet to the paw park and am joined by a young fellow doing the same in his $60k or more Tesla sedan

Reactions: OUSOONER67
I've been involved in product development projects over the years where we had a lot of struggles trying to achieve functional intent. The product just wasn't ready for roll out. But the higher-ups, in their push to drive stock holder value and please the board of directors, used the old saying, "There comes a time in every project when you shoot the engineers and start production". The engineers are pushed aside, and production starts with all of it's unresolved problems.

That same arrogance and disregard brought down the Space Shuttle Challenger. I have no sympathy for Ford or the people who buy their EVs.
You do have to shoot the engineers eventually, just after they figured out the safety and quality aspects.

You do have to shoot the engineers eventually, just after they figured out the safety and quality aspects.

A few possibilities here:

1. You’re just trolling.

2. You’re not trolling and support or practice the arrogance and disregard problem that screws people out of money, even can get them killed.

3. Your 18 words aren’t doing a very good job of getting your point across.

1. You’re just trolling.

2. You’re not trolling and support or practice the arrogance and disregard problem that screws people out of money, even can get them killed.

She might claim to be a CEO, most likely Mulvaney's agent imo. Absolutely a troll though. 👍

Reactions: okcpokefan12

1. You’re just trolling.

I think he is making the point that if you let an engineer continue until they were happy. That is what is wrong. Engineer to good enough, not great or excellent which is what believe engineers want.

I think he is making the point that if you let an engineer continue until they were happy. That is what is wrong. Engineer to good enough, not great or excellent which is what believe engineers want.
Exactly. Max safety and great quality are first priority, but you eventually have to cut the engineers off on features and performance.

Reactions: davidallen
I would contend the challenger was not sufficiently saf
He is making the point that a nasa engineer said it was not safe and could not do enough to stop the launch.

The afternoon before the Challenger was due to take off, Mr. Ebeling called McDonald warning him that the cold could be disastrous for the launch. That set off six hours of teleconferences between Thiokol engineers and executives and officials with NASA.”

Reactions: iasooner2000
He is making the point that a nasa engineer said it was not safe and could not do enough to stop the launch.

The afternoon before the Challenger was due to take off, Mr. Ebeling called McDonald warning him that the cold could be disastrous for the launch. That set off six hours of teleconferences between Thiokol engineers and executives and officials with NASA.”

Do you think it’s possible that comparing the range of EVs to the safety standards of the Challenger are awful analogies to start with? It’s a bit of an apples and completely bananas argument by 22.

carry on

Do you think it’s possible that comparing the range of EVs to the safety standards of the Challenger are awful analogies to start with? It’s a bit of an apples and completely bananas argument by 22.

carry on
The bananas threw ya off track Twinkie. Try again. Good luck. 👍

carry on
Having seen the reports of the electrical fires on both Ford and Hyundai EVs, I'm not sure that his analogy isn't pretty spot on.

carry on

Most people have never thought deeply enough, or even cared to wonder how things are made and gazillion details and difficulties to make it happen. I call it the "black box mentality".

There is a big black box somewhere with a selector switch the reads, "Make a Ford EV", or "Make a Space Shuttle", or "Make a Galaxy Note 7 smartphone". Press the magic button, and voil'a. There are many just like you. You flip on the light switch without any curiosity or appreciation as to what it takes to make the lights come on.

Anyone who has never worked in, or learned about, utility, energy or manufacturing-related technical jobs, operations management or corporate leadership cannot possibly understand the point I was making. So you're excused.

The engineers and QA people at Ford knew they had a poor product that sucked, long before they fired up the assembly line. They were over ruled by above. The CEO knew they have a product that sucks. It's not like, "Gee, I'll hop into one of these EV pickups and drive Route 66". And "Ooops. I just discovered a big problem". You are kidding yourself if you believe this. This was a massive corporate PR damage-control effort with many high-ups behind the scenes to plan it out and release their "accidental" discovery to the press.

Last edited:
The CEO knew they have a product that sucks. It's not like, "Gee, I'll hop into one of these EV pickups and drive Route 66". And "Ooops. I just discovered a big problem". You are kidding yourself if you believe this. This was a massive corporate PR damage-control effort with many high-ups behind the scenes to plan it out and release their "accidental" discovery to the press.
Yep, except they don't appear to be smart enough to realize that third parties and real life experience have already informed us Ford's pickup sucks. The CEO and his dumbass team of bean counters and marketing bozos just look even more stupid at this point. That thing literally cannot tow wind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT