ADVERTISEMENT

I think 2011 ruined me as a fan. And, what Gundy can do to right the ship.

Adman513

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Yukon
I've actually been thinking about this for awhile...probably about a month after the Fiesta Bowl win...

Up until that point, Gundy had improved in some aspect every year. It was either more overall wins vs. losses, more conference wins than the previous year, better bowls, players, etc. (Granted, 2009 was disappointing as Hell, but we made up for it in the next 2 years).

Although I was obviously disappointed in some aspects of the various seasons, I was encouraged by many things that seemed to validate what most of us had hoped--Gundy was the right guy (with the financial support of Boone, of course) to lead us where we've all been dying to go for many years.
  • Signed multiple 4 stars and a couple/few 5 stars (Reid, McBean, anyone else?)
  • Win at home against a reputable SEC team in Georgia (really thought at the time it was going to be a major springboard)
  • Stadium expansion/improvements & practice field
  • 2 Biletnikoff awards
  • Multiple draft picks
  • Better regional and some national buzz for the program (Gundy was great on Jim Rome and the like).
  • The premature death of Squinky...
I know there are a host of other positives, but again, a bunch of these things pointed toward an ascension for OSU, and as a lifelong fan of 46 years, I hadn't seen that in my lifetime. After the dust settled from the Fiesta Bowl win and questions remained about where we go from here, I was reminded of conversations I had with some of my ou fans during the Gary Gibbs years. My friend was wholeheartedly bitching about Gibbs' 7 or 8 win seasons, and I remember telling him how spoiled he was and that OSU would be SO thrilled to have that kind of success routinely. He claimed I didn't understand and that it's "not ou" to have mediocre records like that. Of course, I chalked it up as him being a typical gooner self-entitled prick who expects the world to rotate around them. However, I think I kind of understand that perspective now...

At least for those goosestepping goon fans, their tradition, blue-bloodedness (if that's a word), and a host of other built-in advantages aided them in their return to national promise through both stoops & riley. Whereas...man, I can't help but fear we've really missed out on the continued mountain climb only to be kicked far down the hill. No, we're not rock bottom, but I'm not seeing many reasons to be optimistic at this point.

We've all talked about the missed opportunities of 2012, 2013 let alone of the disappointment of 2017 where we had legitimate chances of winning the conference again and/or continue our momentum, but I just have to admit that I'm going to have to change my perspective as a fan, I suppose. I think we all knew 2011 was the apex it was, but I think we all had hopes that it wouldn't be what it appears to be--an anomaly.

There's been a lot of board chatter about the speculated and/or true reasons for our decline, and even though we can point to stats/wins, I think we all know that even in some of the 10 win seasons we left a lot on the table in terms of what "could have been." As some have even said in terms of this season, "I could take a 6-6 record, it's the WAY we earned that record that bothers me." I totally agree with that!

So, with all of that perspective as prelude, I'm asking myself (and the board), "What can be done to improve the course of OSU football and to get fans excited about the future (not just 2019 but beyond)?" Here are a few things I'd like to see from Gundy, and I'd like to get your take as well:
  • Do whatever you can to generate excitement and an expectation to win this damn bowl game. I don't care that it's not a major bowl and that we're playing a former conference opponent. Go out there and fight for every frickin' yard you can and rip off Mizzery's heads and sh*t down their necks. PLAY TO WIN AS IF YOU CARE AS A COACHING STAFF AND TEAM.
  • Praying that does occur and that we're up by 3 or more TDs in the 4th, FREAKIN' PUT IN SPENCER SANDERS. I don't even care if it's to mostly handoff. Even if he drops back on 3rd and 9 and scrambles for or near a first down, show us a glimpse of what "could be" for next year. There will still be criticisms of "why did he wait this long, blah blah blah," but it will at least give the fans some much-needed positives to discuss going in the off season.
  • In the meantime, quit acting so damn passively during pre & post-game interviews. Acknowledge to your team, your boss, and the fans that this kind of season is absolutely unacceptable. Talk about making a renewed interest in recruiting and will only tolerate recruiting and signing players that will help elevate this team to a championship. Talk about having these conversations with each coach individually and demand that it's an expectation.
  • Speaking of recruiting, partner with a research/marketing firm or vendor to ensure you're using the very best methods to connect and recruit the athletes to meet the standard set.That includes special recruiting tactics/events/branding, etc. that resonates (such as the often mentioned summer BBQ or whatever that the goons do). Utilize social media and not just for showcasing your dog or favorite smoothie drink. Follow the Arroyo model (or other best practices).
  • Admit that the "Cowboy Culture" mantra has been twisted publicly (to include social media) into a synonym for "mediocrity." Publicly state what it truly should stand for (which includes all the "nice" things it currently does) as well as a dedication/expectation of winning. If it's actually written down somewhere, it may very well say that for all I know. However, it should be verbally stated so it can be perceived as a public recognition that the old, passive, "aww shucks" Gundy is gone and a rolling-up-the-sleeves, "Come at me bro!" Gundy is here.
  • Have some humility when it comes to coaching the offense and admit you were wrong. That may mean getting rid of Yurcich, or, if it really was you meddling with the offense to make it inconsistent one it that it is, get out of it. That would include playing the best players and remove the conservative approach you have to "not getting guys hurt."
  • Hire a damn special teams coach (this has been talked about quite a bit as well). Ugh.
  • I can't honestly say which coaches need to be asked to stay and which ones should be encouraged to go (other than Y, I suppose), so I'll just say Gundy needs to back up the aforementioned claims about expecting to win by making sure he has a staff that reflects that both in coaching & recruiting--if they're not meeting those standards, bye-bye.
  • He's burned so many hypothetical bridges with fans with his previous interviews to say nothing of some questionable or just flat-out bad decisions he's made, so it would behoove (what a great word) him to come out publicly and confirm this is his NY Yankees job, not ask for a salary/contract increase until he feels he deserves it, and, to model after another OSU basketball coach, proclaim he needs to "go to work."
I think if he were to do those things, that could go a long way in terms of gaining the public trust and interest back from fans that have waned to varying degrees since 2014. Okay--sorry for the long Okstate1-like long post, but I had to get that off of my chest.

P.S. As I was typing this, I could already see some counter comments that Cowboy76 would've challenged, and I still can't believe he's passed. I only met him once, but man--he is definitely a legend when it comes to these kinds of conversations. He will continue to be missed...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News