ADVERTISEMENT

More: college Masters

CowboyUp

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Austin Tx

aking a needed leap of faith​

Fields is more than a little familiar with hosting this national event because he was head coach at New Mexico when that school was home for the championships in 1992. It later won a bid to host again in 1998, but he had left for Texas the year before.

When he reached out to Holder with this grand scheme, he, too, quickly hopped on board. Holder salutes Fields and Del Conte for their vision.

“CDC is a big thinker. He’s trying to elevate everything about athletics there and in the process the game as a whole,” Holder said. “Thank goodness John and Chris looked at it more globally. For John to put in his time, effort and energy shows a real unselfishness on his part with no benefit to UT or his golf program other than the intangible things. And he’s got a really good team. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if they won this thing.”

The vision required a leap of faith for Rowling and Omni as well since it will be some time before they recoup their investment.

“Texas prides itself on being a leader in the space of college athletics,” Del Conte said. “And we had two historically great coaches. It’s a win-win.”

The project is near and dear to Fields’ heart because he and wife Pearl are committed to strengthening the game of golf and leaving behind a legacy for the sport beyond shiny trophies.

“There’s no question this is a monumental job,” he said. “I’m probably one of the few people in America who would even entertain something like that. But I believe in my life and Pearl’s that golf has been so wonderful to us, that this is the right time.”

But with all that’s on his plate, does this suggest a retirement from the Longhorns soon?

“No, no. Not right now,” Fields said.

Still things to do, golfers to recruit, details to manage, championships to win. And a very big tournament to host.

NCAA golf championship​

Friday-Wednesday, Carlsbad, Calif., Golf Channel, 5-9 p.m. Monday-Wednesday

Reactions: OrangeTuono
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News