ADVERTISEMENT

Hawks are actually ducks

Mrgrapple

2nd Team
Sep 8, 2006
Stoll setting out Minnesota dual and Lee and Young setting out Nowthwestern dual, the Hawks are Ducks.

More like "chickenducks". Never thought I'd see Brands do that.

fixed that for you

I'm worried that Brands may be willing to duck an entire dual. Was planning to go to OSU v Iowa, now concerned might show up only to find that Brands ducked the entire meet. :(

Reactions: BigD_cowboy
Why in the hell isnt the dual televised I guarantee if it was in Iowa City it would be wtf?

Could be some nagging injuries there. Stoll has not looked good and really got hammered in the Nebraska dual. Wonder if he is battling some injuries. Or is he just really susceptible to a good leg rider?
I know Lee was struggling at the Midlands, but that was a brief illness and not injury. Just a passive observer of Iowa and not real knowledgeable. Hopefully an Iowa fan can straighten me out.

Could be some nagging injuries there. Stoll has not looked good and really got hammered in the Nebraska dual. Wonder if he is battling some injuries. Or is he just really susceptible to a good leg rider?
I know Lee was struggling at the Midlands, but that was a brief illness and not injury. Just a passive observer of Iowa and not real knowledgeable. Hopefully an Iowa fan can straighten me out.

Stoll isn't 100% and the jury is out as to if his body can hold up for any type of postseason run. Something was up or has been up with Lee but I think he may be past it.

Some of their young guys (DeSanto and Warner) have been making strides and I expect a VERY tough dual. Tougher for us if a few guys don't wreslte due to descending or end up wrestling under weight.

I'll expand on what the last 2 people said...

Stoll, in my opinion, will get beat by anyone that can put any kind of a ride on him. It appears that he's lost all of his strength/explosiveness in his knee as a result of the 2+ surgeries that he's had. Sucks because expectations were SO high with him.

As for Lee, the illness was/is supposedly a "mono-like" illness. In ALL of his matches this SEASON (not just since Midlands....go back and watch his match with Mackall from ISU) that have gone beyond the 1st period, he has no gas task left. Obviously, all but 1 of those he's been able to gut out, either by getting a huge lead in the first (ie Glory), or by grinding out a win (ie Russell). There was a post brought up in the last couple days that speculated that's why he didn't wrestle WTT last summer as well. If that truly is the case, he's going to have a problem with lungs for the remainder of the season....I don't see it getting fixed prior to B1G's/NCAA's.

Now, regarding the match with Picc, he's (Picc) wrestling AWESOME this year, seems much improved over last season. I see it being a VERY difficult match for Lee, where he'll have as much trouble with him as he did with Rivera. Having said that, I would not be surprised if he doesn't go against Picc, and that would suck.

Edit: woops, of those matches I mentioned, there's only actually 2 videos available to watch....Glory pt1 (pt1 he finished the TF in the first, pt2 he didn't secure, and ended up giving up more points in the 2nd and 3rd), and vs Russell. I guess the Mackall match isn't there...

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrassler17
As for Lee, the illness was/is supposedly a "mono-like" illness. In ALL of his matches this SEASON (not just since Midlands....go back and watch his match with Mackall from ISU) that have gone beyond the 1st period, he has no gas task left.

Joe has had the magic mono in all the matches he lost this year (and a couple he won - Princeton & Rutgers). Go back and watch the McFadden match, then watch the matches he lost and its clear he had the SL MonoL. ;_;

Makes sense as Lee was just that much better than the field last year. Lee has the capacity to pin virtually anyone early, but last year at the NCAA's he seemed to wear Picc down and that will not happen if he has residual mono. It is a shame as Lee is such a goer and fun to watch. We will see Lee back next year at full speed.
White would have been a good match with Stoll at full strength, but with White being good in all three positions he should be favored.

Reactions: andegre
Joe has had the magic mono in all the matches he lost this year (and a couple he won - Princeton & Rutgers). Go back and watch the McFadden match, then watch the matches he lost and its clear he had the SL MonoL. ;_;

I had it in some of the matches I wrestled as well. Tom Ryan will back me up on that.

Makes sense as Lee was just that much better than the field last year. Lee has the capacity to pin virtually anyone early, but last year at the NCAA's he seemed to wear Picc down and that will not happen if he has residual mono. It is a shame as Lee is such a goer and fun to watch. We will see Lee back next year at full speed.
White would have been a good match with Stoll at full strength, but with White being good in all three positions he should be favored.
Who was the last 4 time NCAA champ at 125?

Nobody Abas was a 3 timer.Stieber,Dake,Cael and Pat Smith are the only 4 timers
Exactly, especially down at lower weights guys catch up with the new stud on the block, a hear tell that some coaches even teach their guys to counter the other guy's move, and it's just plan hard to stay on top especially at lower weights.

Exactly, especially down at lower weights guys catch up with the new stud on the block, a hear tell that some coaches even teach their guys to counter the other guy's move, and it's just plan hard to stay on top especially at lower weights.

4 timers are super rare, but the 125 weight class is interesting to look at. A couple of things seem to make it a little different.

The first is that just being a career 125 lber is tough to pull off. Stieber wrestled 125 as a true freshman, but then won his titles at 133 & 141. Another thing is the lighter guys seem to get banged up more, right? Troy Nickerson, Angel Escobedo, even Matt McDonough as a senior. Illness aside, Spencer Lee has had some serious injuries as well - torn labrum, ACL tear. Hard to stay down at 125 for 4/5 years and stay healthy.

Reactions: andegre and osu2082
I got mono in December in HS-easiest weight cut ever! Until I started getting healthy-then it got hard.

Don't know about Spencer, but Joseph might have something else, self inflicted?

I got mono in December in HS-easiest weight cut ever! Until I started getting healthy-then it got hard.

Don't know about Spencer, but Joseph might have something else, self inflicted?

Note the eye roll ;_; there's always something, Lee is the first guy to wrestle at less than 100% ;_;

Listened to the OSU part of FRL yesterday. They said Joe weighed in @ 172.6 for UNI (think it was actually 172.3) and 173.6 for Lehigh. If that's true, I don't think he would be allowed to go 165 for Iowa based on the descent rules.

Doesn't really make sense though - why weigh in light to give yourself flexibility, but then go up 2 days later.

Reactions: andegre
Listened to the OSU part of FRL yesterday. They said Joe weighed in @ 172.6 for UNI (think it was actually 172.3) and 173.6 for Lehigh. If that's true, I don't think he would be allowed to go 165 for Iowa based on the descent rules.

Doesn't really make sense though - why weigh in light to give yourself flexibility, but then go up 2 days later.
I saw someone report the Lehigh weight as well and it just doesn't make sense if lower is the plan. Estimating the math for NCAAs, I'm still not convinced that dropping 3 guys a wt class will result in any more points and it may result in blowing up the last two dual meets. We know Jacobe & Dakota have wrestled 174 & 184, but if Joe hasn't even been on the scales under 170 and wrestled then there's still no evidence he can be effective at 165.

I saw someone report the Lehigh weight as well and it just doesn't make sense if lower is the plan. Estimating the math for NCAAs, I'm still not convinced that dropping 3 guys a wt class will result in any more points and it may result in blowing up the last two dual meets. We know Jacobe & Dakota have wrestled 174 & 184, but if Joe hasn't even been on the scales under 170 and wrestled then there's still no evidence he can be effective at 165.

As it stands Joe and then maybe Jacobe are the only somewhat guaranteed AA's. A less than 100% Rogers isn't and Geer up at 197 sure isn't.

Dropping Joe, Jacobe and Geer and adding in Preston sure seems to make the path much more clear for multiple AA's at 165 to 197.

As it stands Joe and then maybe Jacobe are the only somewhat guaranteed AA's. A less than 100% Rogers isn't and Geer up at 197 sure isn't.

Dropping Joe, Jacobe and Geer and adding in Preston sure seems to make the path much more clear for multiple AA's at 165 to 197.
There are no "guaranteed AA's" and Joe is certainly not if he can't handle the cut, he hasn't wrestled a single match at 165, remember Marsteller? Did Weigel AA last year at 197. What weights and how many times has Chandler AA'd?

We will never know if the drop is better cause you can't wrestle it both ways and compare. It might turn out ok but there's no actual wrestling data to suggest they will finish higher at the lower weights.

There are no "guaranteed AA's" and Joe is certainly not if he can't handle the cut, he hasn't wrestled a single match at 165, remember Marsteller? Did Weigel AA last year at 197. What weights and how many times has Chandler AA'd?

We will never know if the drop is better cause you can't wrestle it both ways and compare. It might turn out ok but there's no actual wrestling data to suggest they will finish higher at the lower weights.

Of course not but based of information, past performance and what we know about each guy you can do your best to project and the guys with more of the information above than any of us are projecting more points from dropping 3 guys.

Jacobe and Geer both have performances at both weights they can go off of and I am sure Joe has made test cuts this year so they have a good idea if he will be challenging Rogers or Jacobe for the spot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT