ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboy RTC Event

biocowboy

Redshirt
Nov 29, 2015
Anyone go to the event prior to the Minnesota dual? Just curious any thoughts or details on how well it was attended,planned, etc?

It was great. Although not as well attended as Final X, there was a solid turnout considering the non optimal weather.

They gave away free pizza, but couldn’t get it out fast enough.

The spiked apple cider was a highlight 😊

Reactions: biocowboy
Hadn’t seen this posted. Very disappointed in John’s comments. The only chance we have in growing our RTC to the level of some of the elite RTCs around the country is to have John out in front of this effort.

Yeah I like John Smith but if he is not going to get behind it 100% what does that tell current or future OSU wrestlers? OSU wrestling may have to get with the program or get rid of anyone who wants to stand in the way of the future.

History only gets you so far.It will also leave you behind if you fail to change.

Hadn’t seen this posted. Very disappointed in John’s comments. The only chance we have in growing our RTC to the level of some of the elite RTCs around the country is to have John out in front of this effort.

Well that's disappointing. For months we've read posts about how John is driving the RTC changes.

To illustrate the current state of things, Alex left for Michigan's RTC 2 1/2 years ago. Since then we've had 0 (yes 0) post graduate resident D1 athletes.

Not only does PSU have 4 returning NCAA champs & 5 current USA World Team members, they even bring in other World champs to train. Petriashvili is a 3x champ and just spent a month with them. Think he helped Kerkvliet?

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Yeah I like John Smith but if he is not going to get behind it 100% what does that tell current or future OSU wrestlers? OSU wrestling may have to get with the program or get rid of anyone who wants to stand in the way of the future.

History only gets you so far.It will also leave you behind if you fail to change.
Thar response is disappointing but not a surprise. It reminds me of when Popolizio became head coach of NCSU after a few years his goal was to make the top 5 or 10 teams soon. What I remember John's response was that was too high of expectations. Also Coach Smith saying I need to take care of the current program sounds bad since that is what he has been doing and look how bad its going compared to Cowboy standards.. He was so much more motivated as a wrestler than as a coach as I see it. He had a tremendous willingness to go to any lengths as a wrestler but not as a coach. The young coaches got us recruiting 2 years in advance like the Penn. St.'s of the world. I would like to see this development he is talking about but I have my doubts if it will occur as much as it needs to.

The question becomes: Is there anyone at OSU with the clout to pressure John to climb aboard the RTC train? Is there anyone with the clout to terminate John if the program continues down the current path and if so how long does he get? He’s obviously earned some goodwill. Is that running low?

I’m trying to imagine Cael talking about his RTC like John just spoke towards ours.

Last edited:
Man what a crap interview from John. It would be SO EASY for him to say a few things to really give our RTC a boost.

This seems to be the opposite of what Lee has been telling us all summer. That isnt a shot at Lee either, nobody is trying to make this happen more than him.

This is one of the few reasons why 35 isn’t happening.

Pretty disappointing that John hasn’t convincingly got behind it in interviews etc. at this point if he doesn’t soon I don’t know he ever will. But it’s more disappointing that we’ve got to rely on the RTC to propel the historic OSU wrestling program to new heights in order to compete for top recruits and championships.

Is there a chance the fans have to do it backwards to get change? Checkout of OSU wrestling and quit donating to force positive change?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT