ADVERTISEMENT

Geer Is Back

AJ can be a 5 time champion at 197. He won’t beat Steveson and, I hate to say it, probably wouldn’t even be that close. His strength, quickness and flexibility can win him matches on takedowns and riding at 197. He’s so strong it’s very hard for anybody to complete a move on him. At heavy he can’t just outhorse people and some of those guys are big and strong enough to score on him. He would out quick most of them and is strong enough to take them. He could maybe win one with no Steveson but it is not guaranteed. Heck, he may just be a 4-5th place guy at heavy. He needs to work on his mat wrestling/pinning before he does anything. So no...a 4th at heavy and maaaaybe an 8th give or take at 197 with Surber (how soon?) is not better than an 8th and an almost guaranteed first.
I think Steveson is done with college wrestling .I agree that would be a tough match-up. If AJ puts the weight on he would be fine I believe . He beat a world bronze medalist at nationals last year. I think AJ is elite 197 or HWT . After watching Surber freestyle this year he can compete with anyone at 197 .

Reactions: osu2082
AJ can be a 5 time champion at 197. He won’t beat Steveson and, I hate to say it, probably wouldn’t even be that close. His strength, quickness and flexibility can win him matches on takedowns and riding at 197. He’s so strong it’s very hard for anybody to complete a move on him. At heavy he can’t just outhorse people and some of those guys are big and strong enough to score on him. He would out quick most of them and is strong enough to take them. He could maybe win one with no Steveson but it is not guaranteed. Heck, he may just be a 4-5th place guy at heavy. He needs to work on his mat wrestling/pinning before he does anything. So no...a 4th at heavy and maaaaybe an 8th give or take at 197 with Surber (how soon?) is not better than an 8th and an almost guaranteed first.

Agree. I’m not sure how much longer Gable wrestles in college.

I think Steveson is done with college wrestling .I agree that would be a tough match-up. If AJ puts the weight on he would be fine I believe . He beat a world bronze medalist at nationals last year. I think AJ is elite 197 or HWT . After watching Surber freestyle this year he can compete with anyone at 197 .
I do not care how tough AJ is- I can't imagine he could possibly get big enough or strong enough to give Gable any sort of a match in 1 year. If Gable stayed in the sport he would be in the conversation for the greatest HWT of all time (in the world) and possibly the greatest wrestler (of any weight class) from the USA.

I do not care how tough AJ is- I can't imagine he could possibly get big enough or strong enough to give Gable any sort of a match in 1 year. If Gable stayed in the sport he would be in the conversation for the greatest HWT of all time (in the world) and possibly the greatest wrestler (of any weight class) from the USA.
I agree

Huge difference in going up a few pounds (as Dake did every year) versus needing at least 45 pounds of pure strength AND maintaining all your speed. Gable would be maybe as quick as Ferrari and I will take natural strength and weight over manufactured strength and weight every time. The latter is great, but it can't replace the strength in all positions/muscles etc. that occur naturally if your bench presses and other lifts etc. are the same. Things you don't think about matter a great deal....grip strength for example.

Reactions: turfpoke
Huge difference in going up a few pounds (as Dake did every year) versus needing at least 45 pounds of pure strength AND maintaining all your speed. Gable would be maybe as quick as Ferrari and I will take natural strength and weight over manufactured strength and weight every time. The latter is great, but it can't replace the strength in all positions/muscles etc. that occur naturally if your bench presses and other lifts etc. are the same. Things you don't think about matter a great deal....grip strength for example.
Boy you are right there. I did not think abut my wife's birthday last week and that mattered a great deal. On an unrelated note - does anyone have a spare couch I can sleep on for a few days? ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
There's no indication that Steveson will come back this year very unlikely next. But I expect AJ will be one more year at 197 the next year HWT. He will have no problem there given his speed and strength and no Steveson. He doesn't need to be a big hwt, 235-240 probably fine and betting he's not far from that now.

Reactions: osu2082
Took a look at the online directory, Montalvo isn't registered. Pretty much everyone else seems to be back - Hone, Sheets, Gfeller, Balmeceda, etc. Boone plus all the 2021 recruits are listed too. Trevor Dopps from the 2020 class as well.

No Geer, but he's a post grad. No Marsh. And no Streck in case anyone is wondering.

Roster is up on Trackwrestling. It might be a work in progress. Here's what it shows right now...

- Trevor Mastro is listed, but Travis isn't yet.
- George Marsh & Connor Webb not listed.
- Balmeceda isn't listed (might still be working his way back).
- Golowenski is listed.
- Couple of local guys listed - Brett Black & Austin Long.

Check this out - Travis Mastro is already certified on Trackwrestling...@ 141. Yes that's Travis, not Trevor.
That just means he weighs above 133, he could weigh 134 for all we know. And with the descent rules he can easily be at 125 before the first competition.

Check this out - Travis Mastro is already certified on Trackwrestling...@ 141. Yes that's Travis, not Trevor.
Wrassler we have both seen this as a possibility with Travis at 141. After all he wrestled 152 and did not cut weight. If Travis could be strong at 141 this would be great news. Balmeceda could make 141 last year but was not strong at 141 and conditioning seem to be a problem.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Wrassler we have both seen this as a possibility with Travis at 141. After all he wrestled 152 and did not cut weight. If Travis could be strong at 141 this would be great news. Balmeceda could make 141 last year but was not strong at 141 and conditioning seem to be a problem.
Yup, it really sets the lineup nicely. I think Mastro can do some serious damage @ 141.

Reactions: DPJ
Was it Paddy Gallagher that threw Travis on his head? I remember watching the match and it looked like Travis was giving up 20-25 pounds.

If anyone takes a healthy Dusty Hones spot your looking at a all American contender . People are forgetting 2019 Dusty had some really good wins.

Last edited:
Reactions: turfpoke
If anyone takes a healthy Dusty Hones spot your looking at a all American contender . People are forgetting 2019 Dusty had some really good wins.
I hope we see a healthy Dusty Hone back. I like his gas tank. Seems like a really good young man.

Iowa is loaded for 2021-22, so I'm looking at this more for 2022-23 and beyond. If Hone starts this year, then hopefully he finishes his career on the podium. Same with Gfeller.

In 2022-23 we could roll out something like this:
- Mastro
- Fix
- Mastro
- Voinovich
- Wide open (multiple guys battling)
- Wittlake
- Plott
- Montalvo/ Haas
- Surber/Haas
- Ferrari

That could potentially challenge PSU for the team title.

Iowa is loaded for 2021-22, so I'm looking at this more for 2022-23 and beyond. If Hone starts this year, then hopefully he finishes his career on the podium. Same with Gfeller.

In 2022-23 we could roll out something like this:
- Mastro
- Fix
- Mastro
- Voinovich
- Wide open (multiple guys battling)
- Wittlake
- Plott
- Montalvo/ Haas
- Surber/Haas
- Ferrari

That could potentially challenge PSU for the team title.
wide open - you don't think Sheets is coming back?

wide open - you don't think Sheets is coming back?
Has had a lot of injuries, so I'm guessing this is his last year. There was some early speculation by Willie that he wouldn't even be back this year (but he is).

I bet he wrestles as long as he can.
Could be. Some guys choose to move on though, like Boo & Kaid. Hopefully you're right and he comes back.

We are going to have some tough guys on top in the middleweights. Sheets, Voinovich, Wittlake, Boone & Balmeceda can all ride.

Could be. Some guys choose to move on though, like Boo & Kaid. Hopefully you're right and he comes back.

We are going to have some tough guys on top in the middleweights. Sheets, Voinovich, Wittlake, Boone & Balmeceda can all ride.
I like what Willie does for wrestling but he got bad intel on Sheets not coming back. It was obvious that Wyatt was coming back. I’m only betting on him coming back based upon his All American finish this year. I expect a higher finish this year now that he has two legs. Then he comes back to complete the father/son national champions. Hell, maybe he’ll make that happen this year. 🤞

Intermat's preseason rankings are out...

We obviously need a lot of wrestlers to develop this year which would include after last years Nationals because if we finish according to our early rankings it will be a less than exciting year. Ferrari champ, Daton a runner-up again, and All Americans Wittlake and Geer. They have Sheets rated 14th at 157, Mastro 20 at 125, Hone 17 at 141, G is 23rd at 149, Plott is 20 at 174, Harris is 11 at HWT. It would sure be nice to get some good recruiting news soon. Anthony Ferrari is our recruit so far. I believe he will be really good but he didn't even make Whose Number 1 event, is rated 3rd at 160 and is the 15th rated 2022 class wrestler.

We obviously need a lot of wrestlers to develop this year which would include after last years Nationals because if we finish according to our early rankings it will be a less than exciting year. Ferrari champ, Daton a runner-up again, and All Americans Wittlake and Geer. They have Sheets rated 14th at 157, Mastro 20 at 125, Hone 17 at 141, G is 23rd at 149, Plott is 20 at 174, Harris is 11 at HWT. It would sure be nice to get some good recruiting news soon. Anthony Ferrari is our recruit so far. I believe he will be really good but he didn't even make Whose Number 1 event, is rated 3rd at 160 and is the 15th rated 2022 class wrestler.
Definitely been quiet on the recruiting front. Still hoping for Bouzakis, who could take over for Daton at 133 with Mastro at 141. And Jordan Williams is still out there. Wrestling 152 now, maybe 157 in college?

I think Anthony Ferrari got banged up causing him to miss junior duals, WTT, and Fargo. That led to a couple of guys jumping him in the rankings and getting the WNO bid. That's fair from a rankings perspective, but personally I think he's the best 160 lber in the country. Gonna be a beast in college.

Another guy that didn't wrestle freestyle season is Zach Blankenship. Seems like he focused on football training this summer. I figured he would have committed by now based on some posts on here.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Definitely been quiet on the recruiting front. Still hoping for Bouzakis, who could take over for Daton at 133 with Mastro at 141. And Jordan Williams is still out there. Wrestling 152 now, maybe 157 in college?

I think Anthony Ferrari got banged up causing him to miss junior duals, WTT, and Fargo. That led to a couple of guys jumping him in the rankings and getting the WNO bid. That's fair from a rankings perspective, but personally I think he's the best 160 lber in the country. Gonna be a beast in college.

Another guy that didn't wrestle freestyle season is Zach Blankenship. Seems like he focused on football training this summer. I figured he would have committed by now based on some posts on here.
Anyone know what weight Anthony Ferrari is projected to wrestle at in college? I know he’s not near as big as his brother?

Anyone know what weight Anthony Ferrari is projected to wrestle at in college? I know he’s not near as big as his brother?
I'd guess 165, with an outside shot at 157.

I misspoke earlier, Anthony did wrestle at the junior trials. He MFF'd out there.

A little surprised to see Sheets at 14. Dude All American'ed, why isn't he ranked 8th or higher?

Reactions: DPJ
I’m with you. AA on one leg. I’m expecting big things from Wyatt over the next 2 years.
Some things I would like to see happen this year( realistic things) that will increase our chances to win in 2022-2023. We are not winning this year (team championship). First I would like to have 2 National Champs this year, Daton at 133 and AJ at 197. Second would be Hone wrestling 41 but with Travis Mastrogiavanni being close but surpasses Hone later in the year because he jumps a level in his wrestling. Travis would then be ready to All American 2022-23 141. Third we need Surber to redshirt (Surber jumped a level from college season to summer freestyle) and move a half level more and he will be ready to All American that next year at 197 with Ferrari jumping to Hwt as soon as this year is done. More coming but don't want this post longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrassler17
Some things I would like to see happen this year( realistic things) that will increase our chances to win in 2022-2023. We are not winning this year (team championship). First I would like to have 2 National Champs this year, Daton at 133 and AJ at 197. Second would be Hone wrestling 41 but with Travis Mastrogiavanni being close but surpasses Hone later in the year because he jumps a level in his wrestling. Travis would then be ready to All American 2022-23 141. Third we need Surber to redshirt (Surber jumped a level from college season to summer freestyle) and move a half level more and he will be ready to All American that next year at 197 with Ferrari jumping to Hwt as soon as this year is done. More coming bit don't want this post longer.
I just can't see Ferrari at heavy. maybe I am wrong. Preston Wiegel makes AJ look small.

Reactions: tom_v31
Some things I would like to see happen this year( realistic things) that will increase our chances to win in 2022-2023. We are not winning this year (team championship). First I would like to have 2 National Champs this year, Daton at 133 and AJ at 197. Second would be Hone wrestling 41 but with Travis Mastrogiavanni being close but surpasses Hone later in the year because he jumps a level in his wrestling. Travis would then be ready to All American 2022-23 141. Third we need Surber to redshirt (Surber jumped a level from college season to summer freestyle) and move a half level more and he will be ready to All American that next year at 197 with Ferrari jumping to Hwt as soon as this year is done. More coming but don't want this post Dknt see
Some things I would like to see happen this year( realistic things) that will increase our chances to win in 2022-2023. We are not winning this year (team championship). First I would like to have 2 National Champs this year, Daton at 133 and AJ at 197. Second would be Hone wrestling 41 but with Travis Mastrogiavanni being close but surpasses Hone later in the year because he jumps a level in his wrestling. Travis would then be ready to All American 2022-23 141. Third we need Surber to redshirt (Surber jumped a level from college season to summer freestyle) and move a half level more and he will be ready to All American that next year at 197 with Ferrari jumping to Hwt as soon as this year is done. More coming but don't want this post longer.
Don’t see Surber going 197

Reactions: tom_v31
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT