ADVERTISEMENT

Forever Wars and their toll.

We need to get the hell out of the Middle East with almost all our boots on the ground. We have the technology for air superiority and soon naval superiority via drone if we absolutely need to be a continued presence in the region. It’s exhausting.

Agreed. It either needs to be explained why we are are still mixing it up with other countries, or we need to get out.

We need to get the hell out of the Middle East with almost all our boots on the ground. We have the technology for air superiority and soon naval superiority via drone if we absolutely need to be a continued presence in the region. It’s exhausting.
Completely agree. Seems like the last several presidents did little to try to get us out, and the media has crucified Trump for all of his efforts to exit Syria even as he's eliminated ISIS's caliphate. Seems like everyone wants out but noone wants it to happen under Trump's watch so he'd get credit for it.

Completely agree. Seems like the last several presidents did little to try to get us out, and the media has crucified Trump for all of his efforts to exit Syria even as he's eliminated ISIS's caliphate. Seems like everyone wants out but noone wants it to happen under Trump's watch so he'd get credit for it.
I agree with most of this but it’s way more nuanced than that. We have reasons to be in Syria right now, just not at the scale of our Iraq or Afghanistan operations. We owe the Kurds so much. Syria is one of our most deeply rooted enemies since the mid 70s. They created the idea of a living bomb. They are extremely strategically important to Russia’s foreign policy so it’s good for us to see Syria weakened. However I see the most potential for a world war 3 to break out in 2021 specifically because of Syria’s importance and Russia’s continues aggression not only on their former comrades in Ukraine, but all over Africa and the Middle East.

@Pokeabear

I find it funny you post this and like my post when you've been part of the media echo chamber running with the stories about how Trump is wrong in exiting these campaigns:

https://oklahomastate.forums.rivals...bled-intelligence-briefings.80483/#post-1410882

Thread clearly calls out Trump as being 'naive' about getting out of Syria and the Middle East.

https://oklahomastate.forums.rivals...touts-tulsi-for-president.80511/#post-1412998

Here you state: "I tend to listen to my intelligence community friends more than any other." Those intelligence community individuals have lead the charge in maintaining these 'forever' wars.

@Pokeabear

I find it funny you post this and like my post when you've been part of the media echo chamber running with the stories about how Trump is wrong in exiting these campaigns:

https://oklahomastate.forums.rivals.com/threads/willful-ignorance-’-inside-president-trump’s-troubled-intelligence-briefings.80483/#post-1410882

Thread clearly calls out Trump as being 'naive' about getting out of Syria and the Middle East.

https://oklahomastate.forums.rivals...touts-tulsi-for-president.80511/#post-1412998

Here you state: "I tend to listen to my intelligence community friends more than any other." Those intelligence community individuals have lead the charge in maintaining these 'forever' wars.
I said I liked most of your post. I do not agree with your Trump opinion and stated my reasons, but I digress continue to try and slam the door in my face. ;)

I agree with most of this but it’s way more nuanced than that. We have reasons to be in Syria right now, just not at the scale of our Iraq or Afghanistan operations. We owe the Kurds so much. Syria is one of our most deeply rooted enemies since the mid 70s. They created the idea of a living bomb. They are extremely strategically important to Russia’s foreign policy so it’s good for us to see Syria weakened. However I see the most potential for a world war 3 to break out in 2021 specifically because of Syria’s importance and Russia’s continues aggression not only on their former comrades in Ukraine, but all over Africa and the Middle East.

No offense but this sounds like a walk-back of your first post. You can't want us in Syria and think its required to be there then complain that we need to "Get the Hell out of the Middle East" (your quote).

No offense but this sounds like a walk-back of your first post. You can't want us in Syria and think its required to be there then complain that we need to "Get the Hell out of the Middle East" (your quote).
You couldn’t possibly offend me. :) Once again reread my original post. Almost of our boots on the ground are the operative words.

@Pokeabear

https://oklahomastate.forums.rivals.com/threads/willful-ignorance-’-inside-president-trump’s-troubled-intelligence-briefings.80483/#post-1410882

Lol, bronzed and emojis usually don’t get you into this much trouble.

The guy thinks there is a crisis on the border too. But doesn’t. It’s complicated.

Reactions: CBradSmith
You way underestimate the role of humans in the battlefield regardless of the advancement of technology.
How? We have about 2000 troops in Syria as support and maintenance. That a little more than we need. We should always train off GPS and on pure old school mathematics tables just to be ready but we can make the leap forward, it’s just gonna cost a lot of manufacturers their lucrative wartime contracts. We will be more than capable to fight the next fight via drone or with ground/sea/air human operators.

We owe the Kurds so much.
Why? Is it because in the pursuit of a seriously misguided and downright stupid attempt at regime change, we armed a bunch of Islamic terrorists who the Kurds then had to fight in order to defend themselves and clean up our mess?

Reactions: jkosu and Pokeabear
Why? Is it because in the pursuit of a seriously misguided and downright stupid attempt at regime change, we armed a bunch of Islamic terrorists who the Kurds then had to fight in order to defend themselves and clean up our mess?
If I’m reading this right, basically.

Reactions: Medic007
How? We have about 2000 troops in Syria as support and maintenance. That a little more than we need. We should always train off GPS and on pure old school mathematics tables just to be ready but we can make the leap forward, it’s just gonna cost a lot of manufacturers their lucrative wartime contracts. We will be more than capable to fight the next fight via drone or with ground/sea/air human operators.

You've watched too many sci-fi movies. Our drones aren't self-service. They require crews to maintain, repair, and re-equip the drones. They require programmers and pilots. All of these personnel will have to be near where the drones are located (such as on the base that was attacked). As such, that base and those support personnel will require troops to provide localized protection. Yes, drones will eventually reduce the amount of door-to-door street fighting (although they aren't there yet), but if we are putting our tech in these areas, then you are asking for us to put our troops in these areas. They go hand-in-hand and you can't have one without the other, no matter how politically convenient it sounds.

You've watched too many sci-fi movies. Our drones aren't self-service. They require crews to maintain, repair, and re-equip the drones. They require programmers and pilots. All of these personnel will have to be near where the drones are located (such as on the base that was attacked). As such, that base and those support personnel will require troops to provide localized protection. Yes, drones will eventually reduce the amount of door-to-door street fighting (although they aren't there yet), but if we are putting our tech in these areas, then you are asking for us to put our troops in these areas. They go hand-in-hand and you can't have one without the other, no matter how politically convenient it sounds.
You really are thick aren’t you? Where did I say self service? You are very adept at reading what you want into someone’s plainly worded statement. Straw man arguements are so passé.

You really are thick aren’t you? Where did I say self service? You are very adept at reading what you want into someone’s plainly worded statement. Straw man arguements are so passé.

Strawman? All I'm trying to do is parse your actual position. In this thread, you've stated that "We need to get the hell out of the Middle East with almost all our boots on the ground." Then you posted that we need to support the Kurds and have troops in Syria. Then you posted that the 2000 troops in Syria is "a little more than we need", which to me sounds like what would be required to support the position of "We have the technology for air superiority and soon naval superiority via drone if we absolutely need to be a continued presence in the region." which was what my last post referred to. But in the end, you've basically said that we should pull out and we should stay.

Strawman? All I'm trying to do is parse your actual position. In this thread, you've stated that "We need to get the hell out of the Middle East with almost all our boots on the ground." Then you posted that we need to support the Kurds and have troops in Syria. Then you posted that the 2000 troops in Syria is "a little more than we need", which to me sounds like what would be required to support the position of "We have the technology for air superiority and soon naval superiority via drone if we absolutely need to be a continued presence in the region." which was what my last post referred to. But in the end, you've basically said that we should pull out and we should stay.

You're spiraling, wth? He didn't say that.

You're spiraling, wth? He didn't say that.

I'm spiraling? Lol. All I want is a position. So far, I've gotten: Get us out of there, or if we need to be there, the technology can do it. Then I got, we need to be there because of the Kurds. Then I got, well, the 2000 we have there is too many. I'm just trying to figure out where @Pokeabear actually stands on the issue of troops in the middle east. His responses so far have waffled more than an IHOP.

I'm spiraling? Lol. All I want is a position. So far, I've gotten: Get us out of there, or if we need to be there, the technology can do it. Then I got, we need to be there because of the Kurds. Then I got, well, the 2000 we have there is too many. I'm just trying to figure out where @Pokeabear actually stands on the issue of troops in the middle east. His responses so far have waffled more than an IHOP.

He sucks doesn’t he?

Its annoying because I try to avoid the games and actually have real conversations, but clearly outside of Pilt, I don't find any lefties here that actually want that. I don't expect to agree on items. I just want to understand the different positions.

Its annoying because I try to avoid the games and actually have real conversations, but clearly outside of Pilt, I don't find any lefties here that actually want that. I don't expect to agree on items. I just want to understand the different positions.
L-O-L

Honest post: What is your position on troops in the middle east?
Honest answer: read what o have already posted without your snark glasses on. You started off in this thread with an assumption and have failed to correct your misreading of my statement. They are plainly worded. Enjoy. ;)

It’s because they can’t defend it. Did you see the flopping around when I tricked this guy into saying there is a crisis on the border? He is average intelligence with an out of whack self efficacy.

Reactions: CBradSmith
Honest answer: read what o have already posted without your snark glasses on. You started off in this thread with an assumption and have failed to correct your misreading of my statement. They are plainly worded. Enjoy. ;)

In other words, you know you've been caught waffling and can't or won't provide a response. Good to know.

In other words, you know you've been caught waffling and can't or won't provide a response. Good to know.
L-O-L since your first “gotcha” contribution to this thread you have been operating in bad faith. I’ve made my points very succinctly and as clear as Fiji water. You can’t deal with being wrong, it’s a massive character flaw but one you could fix, through counseling, but that ain’t my job bub.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT