ADVERTISEMENT

Fix vs Gross

Lee was coming back from knee surgery which he had after losing in the state finals to DeSanto. Piccinini was fairly close in January and was destroyed at Nationals by Lee. Maybe something was wrong with Piccinini because he should have beat Lizak in the dual and got beat at Nationals 16 to 0. So Lee's struggles weren't just adjusting to college but coming off knee surgery and not being in wrestling shape early in the season because of recovering from that surgery. If I remember right many thought he would redshirt. This is my memory of Lee's circumstances last year.

Missed the SDSU meet last night and was catching up on those matches and some others on Flo today. Since we were discussing top/bottom/neutral strategy and Spencer Lee was brought up in this thread, what do you guys think of this?...

On Friday, Lee tech'd Princeton's highly regarded true freshman Patrick Glory 18-2. Lee got an immediate takedown and a few turns to make it 14-0 about 2 minutes into the 1st period. At that point, Glory reversed Lee and then rode him out for the final minute. At the start of the 2nd, Glory had choice and deferred. Lee looked to his corner and they had him take neutral. Right move? Or take bottom? Or maybe even top?

Missed the SDSU meet last night and was catching up on those matches and some others on Flo today. Since we were discussing top/bottom/neutral strategy and Spencer Lee was brought up in this thread, what do you guys think of this?...

On Friday, Lee tech'd Princeton's highly regarded true freshman Patrick Glory 18-2. Lee got an immediate takedown and a few turns to make it 14-0 about 2 minutes into the 1st period. At that point, Glory reversed Lee and then rode him out for the final minute. At the start of the 2nd, Glory had choice and deferred. Lee looked to his corner and they had him take neutral. Right move? Or take bottom? Or maybe even top?
I think Spencer Lee can choose whatever he wants to.

In most cases I’m not sure why Lee would ever choose bottom. He’s one of the few guys who could choose top and I would just nod in approval.

In most cases I’m not sure why Lee would ever choose bottom. He’s one of the few guys who could choose top and I would just nod in approval.

I can see that. I think any hesitancy was because he got reversed.

I did the play by play on this match because some things were similar to the Daton discussion - November (get better) vs March (win the match). But some things were different - Lee was not in danger of losing at anytime (Glory is not Seth Gross). I think I would have chosen bottom.

Last edited:
Guess we know why Lee chose neutral against Glory the first time around.

This time he chose bottom to start the 2nd period leading 12-0. Glory rode him out the 2nd & 3rd, turned him twice, got a stall point and riding time. Final 12-6.

Guess we know why Lee chose neutral against Glory the first time around.

This time he chose bottom to start the 2nd period leading 12-0. Glory rode him out the 2nd & 3rd, turned him twice, got a stall point and riding time. Final 12-6.

It got worse for Lee - he loses in the finals to Sebastian Rivera (Northwestern) 7-3.

Reactions: osu2082
Yeah, it was a rough tournament for Spencer. I thought Rivera escaping without getting turned was a bigger key than him winning the takedown battle 3-0.

I'll obviously be rooting for Picc and Daton against him every time. But Lee is a tough competitor who always carries himself well, win or lose. Maybe Brands should pay attention.

Yeah, it was a rough tournament for Spencer. I thought Rivera escaping without getting turned was a bigger key than him winning the takedown battle 3-0.

I'll obviously be rooting for Picc and Daton against him every time. But Lee is a tough competitor who always carries himself well, win or lose. Maybe Brands should pay attention.

i like lee as well
easy to root for

Reactions: Wrassler17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT