ADVERTISEMENT

Do you love what you do?

MegaPoke

May 29, 2001
Tulsa
www.shipmanphotos.com
They say if you do what you love you'll never work a day in your life, which of course is bullshit.

I love what I do but I work twice the hours I used to and haven't had a vacation in 3.5 years. This is the first year that I feel I've replaced my corporate income from 2009 and the sacrifices I've made to build my business have been profound.

I feel it's been worth it and the future looks great, but it has been very difficult. I understand I'm a lunatic but I had to do something creative and get out of the soulless corporate games I hated so much.

My questions are these:

Do you love what you do?

Do you feel you had to sacrifice security and income to be able to do what you do?

If you don't love what you do, do you feel your security and income are sufficient to justify doing something you don't love?

This post was edited on 10/29 11:57 PM by MegaPoke

I personally could not have a job or own a business I didn't love. The sacrifices I've made are much smaller than the pain I would live with every day if I hated going to work.

Fortunately, I made this a priority right after graduating from OSU many years ago. The only thing I would enjoy more would be to be a professional athlete and I'm just a little slow for that right now......and then!

Some people talk about retirement and are very much looking forward to it. I can imagine working until I can't walk anymore. Sure, I could play golf two or three times a week if I retired at 65 but I already do that fortunately. What else am I going to do? Make belts or play bridge? I don't think so.

I've told my kids to do what they enjoy doing, whether it pays $500,000 a year or $50,000 a year. Nothing like finishing a work day satisfied and not want to kill your spouse and kids.

Life's too short.

I truly enjoy my job, but it is a corporate gig.

But I love teaching, however, the pay for teachers would not provide the income to do external activities that I want. So I do a hybrid. I volunteer and teach several Junior Achievement classes and I have coached a school basketball team for the last 10 years.

I've got a corporate job. I enjoy what I do and most of the people I work with. I also really think my employer is very good. love is a strong word, how about I say I really like my job...
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Went to work as an independent contractor about two years after graduating from OSU. Sold that business two years ago and now work for the company who bought it. Navigating the world of non-compete, non-solicit and non-acceptance right now.....but will leave and do the same thing again as soon as possible. Its all about owning what I do and building equity in that job in my mind.

But to your original question Mega, I really like what I do...I'm just eager to do it for myself again.

I absolutely love what I do. Rarely is there a day that I wish I could call in sick. Every day is different and never boring. I can't imagine retirement. If physically able, will probably work well into my 60's, maybe even 70;s.

With that said, I don't think I would feel the same if I was doing it for someone else. Owning my own business and not having a boss makes it a lot more enjoyable. Made some sacrifices to get to this point, but feel like those days are behind me. Hope that turns out to be accurate rather than naive.

I am still in search of that kind of job. I'm young, so I have plenty of time. But, for right now, I enjoy what I do...I just work with a bunch of selfish people who don't have our team in mind. Also, my boss continues to hire unqualified people just for the sake of adding needed diversity to our team... they're worthless.

Like a previous poster said love is a strong word. I enjoy what I do, but I wouldn't say I love it. Honestly I don't want to love my job. If I truly loved my job, I'm not sure I'd make the correct decisions when it comes to prioritizing my wife, my son, my church, etc. I have friends that I see completely missing out on their children's lives because they make the wrong decisions. You can love your job and still make the right decisions, I just don't think I would. I don't mind going to work and look forward to it most days, it doesn't keep me up at night, it provides for my family, and I like the company I work for and the people I work with. I'm satisfied not loving it.

That being said, if I had a job I hated I would do everything I could to get out of it. I had a corporate job like that right after college and only lasted 8 months. It was probably an impulsive decision to quit, but luckily for me it worked out alright. Life's too short to spend that much time doing something you dread.

I have been thinking about opening a thread on this very topic for a year now, but I have been too pissed, too emotional to do it without going off totally.

I used to really like my job considerably. I work from home reviewing patient charts for a company that was recently taken over by a much larger corporation. That was the end of the gravy train. So far, I have had my income chopped by nearly 1/3 to 1/2 in two years and now, like Mega, work twice as hard to even come close to meeting my previous income.

I could always go back and practice medicine I guess, but after all the health issues and bs I felt that this was the best thing for me. Plus, it's hard to want to go back to getting up and jumping into a car to go to work around a bunch of assholes after a few years of waking up, putting on sweats, and walking into my home office with coffee in my hand. Gawd, who wants to leave that lol.

It was a great gig, but the larger corporation with all their F*^#ing greed has just killed it. This was one of the most amazing jobs a physician could have if you were burnt out or just plain tired of all the crap in medicine. My salary was close to what I made when I practiced anesthesia in OKC back in the day. Not so much now.

I really love what I do and enjoy most days. I now do cybersecurity for my corporation. Fighting hackers is pretty darned fun.

I'm incredibly depressed about my job situation. I've posted a couple pleas for help on the board before, but nothing has really worked out for me. I went to a great law school and practiced for a prestigious law firm. I moved to Los Angeles because I wanted to work with entertainment clients (see my constant posting in nerdy movie, books, games, and TV threads for all the reasons). I actually got to do that. I worked for about 2 years on a really interesting case for Warner Bros. involving the rights to Superman. I made a ton of money and was diligently working to pay off my sizable student loans.

I hated the job. The hours were long, unnecessary, and spiked seemingly randomly. I felt like I had no control over my own life. I'm a homebody by nature, but I lived in LA for 2+ years and never went to the beach, never went to Hollywood, never really took advantage of living in the city at all.

I made what I thought was a very wise, adult decision and gave up the big money to move back to Oklahoma to be near my family and to find something that allowed the mystical "work/life balance" that lawyers always talk about. I moved back in early 2012 and still haven't found a permanent job. I even went back to school to get another undergrad degree, hoping it would help open up additional job opportunities. My money ran out, and mortifyingly, I was living off my parents' largesse for a good period of time, essentially undoing a lot of the good work I had done in paying off my student loans (understandably, my parents want their money back eventually).

The new degree hasn't helped. I have a degree in accounting and am a licensed attorney and can't find a permanent job. I've applied for entry level positions and more sophisticated positions. Either I'm too qualified for the entry level positions or don't have the specific experience the (largely) oil & gas companies want for an analyst or attorney position.

Like I said, I'm working a temporary job that pays my bills and even allows me to make my student loan payments again. But it's temporary and is, frankly, mindless work. It doesn't satisfy me intellectually and doesn't pay enough for me to get over it. I'm frantic about the whole thing and feeling at the end of my rope.

Most days.

There is no possibility of me ever being self-employed; or being able to pick the hospital I want to work at ( I can only work at transplant centers).

So I picked a place I love to live and I make the best of work that I can. Will also work until I fall over dead. I can't imagine being retired.

I too have a corporate gig with a company that I love. I'm paid very well and am pretty good at my job, even though I have to deal with employee complaints. The good news is, the employees are not mad at me when they do file complaints, but they are mad at their boss or co-workers, disagree with a company policy or a process, want exceptions made for them, want their benefits reinstated, their uniform pants are too big, they didn't get a hot dog at the safety cookout, etc., etc., etc. Although it does get old listening to people complain all day long, there is a lot of job security as there is no shortage of people who will complain about anything and everything.

Originally posted by cornichon:

I'm incredibly depressed about my job situation. I've posted a couple pleas for help on the board before, but nothing has really worked out for me. I went to a great law school and practiced for a prestigious law firm. I moved to Los Angeles because I wanted to work with entertainment clients (see my constant posting in nerdy movie, books, games, and TV threads for all the reasons). I actually got to do that. I worked for about 2 years on a really interesting case for Warner Bros. involving the rights to Superman. I made a ton of money and was diligently working to pay off my sizable student loans.

I hated the job. The hours were long, unnecessary, and spiked seemingly randomly. I felt like I had no control over my own life. I'm a homebody by nature, but I lived in LA for 2+ years and never went to the beach, never went to Hollywood, never really took advantage of living in the city at all.

I made what I thought was a very wise, adult decision and gave up the big money to move back to Oklahoma to be near my family and to find something that allowed the mystical "work/life balance" that lawyers always talk about. I moved back in early 2012 and still haven't found a permanent job. I even went back to school to get another undergrad degree, hoping it would help open up additional job opportunities. My money ran out, and mortifyingly, I was living off my parents' largesse for a good period of time, essentially undoing a lot of the good work I had done in paying off my student loans (understandably, my parents want their money back eventually).

The new degree hasn't helped. I have a degree in accounting and am a licensed attorney and can't find a permanent job. I've applied for entry level positions and more sophisticated positions. Either I'm too qualified for the entry level positions or don't have the specific experience the (largely) oil & gas companies want for an analyst or attorney position.

Like I said, I'm working a temporary job that pays my bills and even allows me to make my student loan payments again. But it's temporary and is, frankly, mindless work. It doesn't satisfy me intellectually and doesn't pay enough for me to get over it. I'm frantic about the whole thing and feeling at the end of my rope.
Have you considered leaving Oklahoma and looking for something in a different city? Sounds like you have skills and qualifications that would allow you to find a place where you are needed and appreciated. Family is important, but if you are "at the end of your rope", you need to make a change. Happiness, with your situation, is important. Don't keep doing what you are doing for all the wrong reasons.

Originally posted by tcpoke:
Went to work as an independent contractor about two years after graduating from OSU. Sold that business two years ago and now work for the company who bought it. Navigating the world of non-compete, non-solicit and non-acceptance right now.....but will leave and do the same thing again as soon as possible. Its all about owning what I do and building equity in that job in my mind.

TC we should have lunch sometime... I am in a similar boat as it took me 3 year after graduation to take the risk and jump into an industry I had shot for since college as an independent contractor. Sacrificed security and definitely income early on but now get paid more than I should, have more freedom than I should and honestly work a little less than I should (at times).

I love what I do and feel lucky to be able to do so. It also allows me to be involved in several organizations and functions that I also really enjoy.

Early in my career I definitely sacrificed security and income but finally in a place that has seemingly made it all worth it. I think lots of industries are like that these days though and in my experience the sports industry can be one of the toughest to break into without swallowing a ton of pride.

Only thing that would make my job something that I truly love as opposed to one that I really like is being able to do it in Oklahoma, which will probably never happen.

Outstanding replies guys. Really had been trying to think of a way to frame these questions for awhile.

It's really great reading some of these points of view. cornichon, man I hate to hear that. I don't know the answer for you, but NP's quote "life is too short" (to settle for jobs you hate) is so true. I hope you find a way to make a living out of doing something that fulfills you.

tc and 2082...you mind if I reach out to you at some point?

I'd like to gain some perspective that you both would appear to offer.

I think a lot of people would be doing what they love if they weren't enslaved by debt and a desire to have more than their neighbor.

I enjoy my job 80% of the time. The other 20% is the corporate BS that I hope to leave behind one day when I work for myself. For now though I just enjoy the 80% and not let the rest get to me.

In another 8-10 years when my kid is grown (and out of OSU, hopefully) and we have literally no debt (have

Originally posted by cornichon:

Any interest in public accounting? Also still interested in law? Just wanting to get an idea of what you are looking for...

I like my job....a lot.

"Love" would be too strong an expression."

The odd thing is I started out self employed, got pretty burnt out, and took a pay cut to work where I do now." It was one of the best lifestyle decisions I've made. I can focus on the part of self-employment I liked (law) and am good at without any of the part (marketing, finance, billing, client retention, taxes, administration) that I really didn't care for.

This post was edited on 10/30 2:55 PM by CowboyJD

I like what I do to pay the bills, finance. And then I love what I do that isn't paying me any money yet, comedy.

And recently made a move to make the day job more enjoyable. Had been at a small private company that got bought out and suddenly I had 8 bosses (cue Office Space flashback). Now I've moved to another small private company and it's much better. Plus it pays me so I can tool around NYC and the East Coast doing comedy.

I did love what I do, but someone on another board told me that I have nothing to do with my own success. So now I'm not sure.
frown.r191677.gif

Seriously, I use to like what I do, now I'm getting a little burnt out. The wife and I are trying to save so that we can retire early. I have lots of hobbies and interests that I'd love to spend more time on but work gets in the way.

I think these are very personal questions that are really none of your business.

BJ, I've thought about leaving again, but it seems so wrong after I gave up so much money to back. My family lives in Tulsa, but I have looked extensively in OKC and Bentonville. I have contacts at places here, but nothing has worked out. I guess I'd be willing to give Dallas a try, but I really have no contacts anywhere down there. The longer I look, the more convinced I am it's all about who you know.

2082, at this point, I'd take anything that was secure and paid reasonably well. I realize that's sort of antithetical to the point of this thread and to my decision to move back from LA, but it's amazing what a backseat those kinds of principles take when debt is mounting. I would obviously take something in public accounting, but after my law firm experience, I'm kind of worried about how long I would last there.

If I had my druthers, I'd like to get on in an oil & gas company. I don't pretend to know much about the industry, but it's so prevalent around here, I feel like there would be opportunities for advancement, relative security, and the ability to stay close to family and friends. What I'd really like is to get on in an in-house legal department, but barring that, some kind of analyst role that makes use of my legal experience and/or accounting degree and gets me in the door to potentially transition over time would be perfect. I've just applied for a Regulatory Analyst position at OneOK that is looking for someone with a legal and accounting background. It's the best fit of any of the myriad things I've applied for, but I doubt it will happen because I don't have specific industry experience. I was smart enough to graduate with honors from a top 10 law school, pass the California bar, and write briefs for the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, but apparently I'm not qualified to work for a company in my hometown in a mid level position doing relatively routine work.

Cornichon an entry level public account will start at around $55-58k and yes you work your tail off. If that interests you let me know as I have some strong contacts with one in Tulsa and could be an OKC possibility as well.

I also have some solid contact with a large Tulsa law firm who does little of everything. Contracts, insurance, etc.any clients are the oklahoma banks and some of the larger Tulsa based companies. They are the best in terms of hours and work environment of any law firm I am familiar with. I think the starting pay would be anywhere from $60-80k dependent on person hired.

If you see anything come open at Helmeich & Payne let me know. Feel free to email me on any of these. Obviously nothing for sure but I could definately help you out in getting a good shot at any of these.

Cornichon,
My dad is a CPA and an attorney. He was a small town lawyer for years and is now a judge. Ever thought about hanging your own shingle as a take all comers small town lawyer? Seems like all of the respected small town lawyers around his area are in their late 60s or 70s. Might be an opportunity to take over a practice and be your own boss.

I work part time at a metal fab shop and am going to trade school. There are some hard days physically but mostly it is better than the white collar lifestyle I left behind. It is such a different environment.

Corn,

Check out BOKF's career opportunities. If I remember correctly, we had several accounting style jobs available currently. May have had a legal job or two posted, also.

Corn, 2 of my buddies are lawyers who got tired of practicing. Both became landmen and now are using their degree within the oil business. Now they are out leasing land where they feel the big companies are headed. Then they lease to the big dogs and move again. Both are really enjoying what they are doing now instead of defending cons and waiting for them to show up with another payment.

I'll check with them and see if they could use another guy.
------------
For me, I love what I do. Being creative and finding a better way to solve problems is enjoyable. The better the team you have working for you, the better the job goes. I've been in business for 33 years and can't imagine punching a clock. Thank God business has been good for years. I'd been in business for 2 when Penn Square crashed. I went from making good money to laying sod to put food on the table.

Evil, we should talk. My temp position is actually for BOK now.

I feel bad that I've hijacked this interesting thread. Anyone who has any thoughts for me or wants to talk to me, shoot me an email at haydena1@gmail.com. I will respond. Thanks, sincerely, in advance.

HSH, you don't work for my friend Cody, do you? Hell of a great guy and very creative.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT