ADVERTISEMENT

Dean Heil, Anthony Collica Sign With OKRTC

Before about two years ago, I take Flo's recruiting rankings with a grain of salt. IMO, prior to that time, they placed too much focus on quantity of recruits in the top 100 instead of quality. As we've seen, quality is a major component to the success that PSU and tOSU have had in recent years at nationals. So while ASU and NCST may have had 7-8 guys in the top 100, only 1-2 of those were in the top 20. Teams like PSU were getting four top 100 recruits but three of those in the top 15.
I’ve never dove too deep into how they complete their rankings, but agree 100% that should be a part of the assessment. I know most of the recruiting stuff had OSU pretty highly ranked with their class a few years ago that had like 10 guys that were the same size because they were all top 100. I feel like they had to know that wouldn’t work out because half those guys would never be able to make the lineup? Naturally most of them ended up transferring. Schumacher, Blees, and Marsteller. Also it doesn’t seem like they include transfers in their consideration. OSU’s Class a few years ago was bad as far as recruits they signed so they rated them pretty low, but they also got Jacobe Smith and Geo Martinez who are pretty good and weren’t listed in any of their stuff.

The money will be coming. The costs are so low in wrestling compared to football or basketball, and our history is so great we are committed to funding. My only fear is our plan is only to dump in enough to match the current highs and are a step behind the others bumping theirs further. Even then we’ll catch up. Just would hate any delays keeping us from being at the top.

Could we see Kaid vs Dean at U23s in June? Was always curious how that might go.

Saw Dustin Plott working out with the OKRTC at OU. Just sayin’.

Hey Micco, I saw that OKRTC tweet that you're referring to, but I think you might have misunderstood it.

Yes, that was Dustin drilling with Nick "Don't Shoot" Heflin, but Dustin was the one teaching Heflin how to take a shot.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
The OKRTC tape with Guerro where they introduced all of the Fargo all americans who were working out there. This did not look good for us. Our next 2 recruiting classes are very important for us. We have great lists of potential recruits and I hope that they occur. The RTC's could be costly for us and with Kerkvliet we still have no one attractive for him to even work out with. How can our coaches not see changes that need to occur?

The OKRTC tape with Guerro where they introduced all of the Fargo all americans who were working out there. This did not look good for us. Our next 2 recruiting classes are very important for us. We have great lists of potential recruits and I hope that they occur. The RTC's could be costly for us and with Kerkvliet we still have no one attractive for him to even work out with. How can our coaches not see changes that need to occur?

Lose sleep over the Ohio State, Iowa, Arizona State, Penn State RTC. Don't lose sleep over the OKRTC.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082
We’ve already seen progress under Rosselli. I can’t remember Cody having two wrestlers in the program as decorated as Demas and Mantanona currently are.

We’re not top Ohio State. We’re not Penn State. But if you think this year’s OU team will resemble last years OU team, you’ve had your head in the sand on who they’ve picked up the last few years, and what those guys have done as redshirts.

And by “you”, I mean the generic, non-specified person “you”. The collective “you”, if you will.

We’ve already seen progress under Rosselli. I can’t remember Cody having two wrestlers in the program as decorated as Demas and Mantanona currently are.

We’re not top Ohio State. We’re not Penn State. But if you think this year’s OU team will resemble last years OU team, you’ve had your head in the sand on who they’ve picked up the last few years, and what those guys have done as redshirts.

Demas has a ton of talent as you can see in his freestyle results. His folk record while in redshirt was not all that good though. Montanona seems like the real deal. What other newcomers are going to break in the lineup? Woodley?

I know Rosselli is bringing in some better guys but OU fans have to be a little concerned that there wasn't a whole lot of mat improvement over the last couple years. I know they weren't the most talented team in the world but you would hope that guys would improve. From an outsider perspective, it didn't seem like they did.

Last edited:
@MiccoMacey , serious question-

How do you see those two against Brock/Gfeller and Rogers/Jacobe?
If they each have to wrestle two opponents at the same time, I’d think they won’t fare well. :)

Demas has already beaten Gfeller if I remember correctly, albeit Freestyle. It would be a fun match, but based on him already beating him head to head, I’d give Demas the advantage.

Brock and Dom would be harder to pick. Obviously, Brock’s a 2x All-American, and he dominated a returning National Champion and 4x All-American in Cody Brewer right before he pinned him in Brock’s first match as a Cowboy. So I have all the respect in the world for this young man. But he’d be moving up a weight, and consensus on this board is he’s a smaller 141 pounder. Whereas Dom’s not. I think he’s a legit 141 pounder. I know nothing about Demas’ mat abilities, so that complicated it even more.

In all fairness, you have to give the edge to someone who’s actually had success at this level, versus someone’s first year against college-level competition, and Kaid has had success twice. I think Dom will also as his career progresses, but you have to give the nod to Kaid.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
@MiccoMacey , serious question-

How do you see those two against Brock/Gfeller and Rogers/Jacobe?

Again, OSU has a guy who’s already been a 2x All-American. And he’s wrestling at his normal weight (versus Kaid moving up).

Mantanona could have won the U20 Tbilisi tournament, and I’d still give the nod to Chandler because he’s done it. Twice.

Demas has a ton of talent as you can see in his freestyle results. His folk record while in redshirt was not all that good though. Montanona seems like the real deal. What other newcomers are going to break in the lineup? Woodley?

I know Rosselli is bringing in some better guys but OU fans have to be a little concerned that there wasn't a whole lot of mat improvement over the last couple years. I know they weren't the most talented team in the world but you would hope that guys would improve. From an outsider perspective, it didn't seem like they did.
We didn’t. And in some cases, it looks like we regressed a little.

Oh, we’re far from a finished product my friend. I’m not trying to state OU is on or near the top yet. But if just those two alone do well, it’s a step in the right direction. And I think there’s more to come.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
If they each have to wrestle two opponents at the same time, I’d think they won’t fare well. :)

Demas has already beaten Gfeller if I remember correctly, albeit Freestyle. It would be a fun match, but based on him already beating him head to head, I’d give Demas the advantage.

Giving a guy who went 8-6 in folkstyle the "advantage" over a guy who went 20-4 (wins over Cortez, Karam and Lee and close losses only to Eirman, Jack and Heil) is a major stretch.

Gfeller is unanimously discussed as a legitimate AA candadite at 141, Demas rarely gets a mention. Demas is a good prospect and has some upwards potential but I would be very surprised if he consistently beats Gfeller in college.

Sure, if you’re going to use facts for your discussion.:)

Not saying Gfeller can’t win. Not saying Demas wins a National Championship. You asked how I thought Demas would do against Gfeller. Since the only real evidence I have is that Dom has already beaten Gfeller, it’s not a stretch at all to say he can’t beat him again.

I could point out that Demas beat Jack, but that doesn’t really matter. You didn’t ask me how Demas would do against him. Gfeller might have beat Dale, Taylor, and Gable all at the same time and that doesn’t matter either. Your question was how would wrestler A do against wrestler B. And wrestler A has already beaten wrestler B.

Another thing to remember about the OKRTC is location. It seems the next batch of recruits in Oklahoma are centered around the Tuttle/Mustang area. It is super easy for those kids to get over the Norman for a quick workout. A lot easier than making it up to Stillwater.

I'm sure those kids will take a good workout wherever they can get it. Most are also active with OWA.

At a different weight and a different style. One can also take a seasons worth of very relevant results to come to a conclusion.
Not really. Wrestling isn’t transitive. There are a myriad of reasons why one wrestler can beat another wrestler, but can’t beat the other guys in that weight class. Differing styles, body types, whatever.

Make whatever excuse you want to, the fact remains you asked me how I thought Demas will do against Gfeller. I answered, with the only actual head to head going to Demas.

If you just want to badger me until I change my mind to your answer, fine. There’s no way Demas will ever beat Gfeller (again). He doesn’t belong on the same mat to even try to beat Gfeller (again). Gfeller would wipe the mat with Demas, so Demas should just forfeit the match and not even try to wrestle and beat Gfeller (again).

:)

There’s no way Demas will ever beat Gfeller (again). He doesn’t belong on the same mat to even try to beat Gfeller (again). Gfeller would wipe the mat with Demas, so Demas should just forfeit the match and not even try to wrestle and beat Gfeller (again).

Much better! Now you are getting there... ;)

Reactions: MiccoMacey
If you just want to badger me until I change my mind to your answer, fine. There’s no way Demas will ever beat Gfeller (again). He doesn’t belong on the same mat to even try to beat Gfeller (again). Gfeller would wipe the mat with Demas, so Demas should just forfeit the match and not even try to wrestle and beat Gfeller (again).

:)
Sort of like what his coach did with the second Bedlam dual last season?

News flash, the elimination of the second dual wasn’t OU’s brain child. It was proposed by OSU. Rosselli just agreed to it.

News flash, the elimination of the second dual wasn’t OU’s brain child. It was proposed by OSU. Rosselli just agreed to it.

Micco, did you know that Mantanona declined the challenge match with Kamal Bey for a spot on the Junior Greco World Team? Was that OSU's idea also? :rolleyes:

Maybe Rosselli only likes to have his guys compete when he thinks they can win. :cool:

Micco, did you know that Mantanona declined the challenge match with Kamal Bey for a spot on the Junior Greco World Team? Was that OSU's idea also? :rolleyes:

Maybe Rosselli only likes to have his guys compete when he thinks they can win. :cool:
I can't answer either of those questions. I give you full faith and credit that you're correct in the statement, but I'd need to find out from Anthony himself if/why he declined. Could be a number of reasons. Spencer Lee declined to wrestle in the US Open, I believe it was. Everybody has a reason.

But the narrative that OU opted out of the second Bedlam needs to stop. It wasn't OU's idea. It was OSU's.

I can't answer either of those questions. I give you full faith and credit that you're correct in the statement, but I'd need to find out from Anthony himself if/why he declined. Could be a number of reasons. Spencer Lee declined to wrestle in the US Open, I believe it was. Everybody has a reason.

But the narrative that OU opted out of the second Bedlam needs to stop. It wasn't OU's idea. It was OSU's.

Pretty sure USA Wrestling said that was the case. But why not ask Rosselli?

Mantanona's very talented. Picked the wrong school, but he's talented. ;) Seems like he enjoys a good challenge and has fun when he's out there. Could Lou be the reason? I mean Brandon Courtney accepted Daton's challenge even though Daton had dominated him in the past. So Zeke Jones must have encouraged him to go for it, right?

BTW, Lee reportedly skipped the Open because he planned to wrestle in Europe, but that fell through apparently.

Last edited:
Hmmm, All those reasons are all very plausible, including Lou told him not to do it. Or, he has his own reasons. I’m just not sure. And I’ve never met Rosselli in order to ask him about any question. So I doubt that streak ends any time soon. :)

But regardless what USA Wrestling wrote, I’ll trust the guy in the room when it was originally pitched. And that guy said it was OSU’s idea. Specifically, Dave Martin’s. And...it makes sense from an RPI sense, which is why it was agreed to by Rosselli. I’m sure there were other reasons as well (OU not talented enough rang true).

Hmmm, All those reasons are all very plausible, including Lou told him not to do it. Or, he has his own reasons. I’m just not sure. And I’ve never met Rosselli in order to ask him about any question. So I doubt that streak ends any time soon. :)

But regardless what USA Wrestling wrote, I’ll trust the guy in the room when it was originally pitched. And that guy said it was OSU’s idea. Specifically, Dave Martin’s. And...it makes sense from an RPI sense, which is why it was agreed to by Rosselli. I’m sure there were other reasons as well (OU not talented enough rang true).

My comment about USA Wrestling was in reference to the Greco challenge match. I don't have any info on the dual agreement or how that was decided.

But I do think there is something to Rosselli being a "ducker". ;)

Reactions: MiccoMacey
Cool. I thought your first comment was in regards to the dual sitch.

I’ll start paying attention to see if there are other incidents of potential “ducking”.

But if it’s isolated, or if there’s a good reason for holding him out against Bey, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Dean Heil has signed with Rudis, Kolat at Campbell is one of their athletes. Additionally Rosselli has close ties as it is mainly run by tOSU dudes, and his wife works there.

I think this has a lot to do with Guerrero - for Dean at least. But it's a clear message we need to build the building and fund the rtc. I was wondering if we could build some apartments or even a dorm like facility in the new building? The biggest expense for a kid out of school is room and board. If you took the living quarters off the table, maybe it becomes a lot less expensive to fund guy's.

Just spit balling

Just caught part of an interview with Kyven Gadson on Flo (guess it was from sometime last summer). He said the Iowa State RTC was furnishing quads to house their post grad athletes. One building was donated and a second was being built. Four units per building. His unit has 2 master bedrooms and multiple bathrooms for him and his family (wife & 2 young kids). Said the college guys like David Carr and Austin Gomez will move in after they graduate.

Just caught part of an interview with Kyven Gadson on Flo (guess it was from sometime last summer). He said the Iowa State RTC was furnishing quads to house their post grad athletes. One building was donated and a second was being built. Four units per building. His unit has 2 master bedrooms and multiple bathrooms for him and his family (wife & 2 young kids). Said the college guys like David Carr and Austin Gomez will move in after they graduate.

There is 1 4 plex. The one was already built. The CRTC had to raise funds or get materials donated to replace this one, which is getting built now.

If housing can be promised to amateurs/recruits from RTC’s what prevents financial promises as well?

Sliiiiiiiiiiiiiipery slope.

If housing can be promised to amateurs/recruits from RTC’s what prevents financial promises as well?

Sliiiiiiiiiiiiiipery slope.

It was not promised to a specific athlete. It is designed to be available for an Iowa State athlete that wants to continue to train with the CRTC.

“Said the college guys like David Carr and Austin Gomez will move in after they graduate.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT