ADVERTISEMENT

Chernobyl

I was just going to let it play out and then binge it at the end since it is hard to spoil it.

Reactions: CBradSmith
I really liked the simple explanation of nuclear power....!! Steam is your friend....that's all I caught so far but now I'll watch it.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Haven’t seen the 3rd episode but have liked it so far. First episode was really cool, but I thought the second episode was especially interesting. They did a good job of explaining things so far to make it informative and entertaining.

Haven’t seen the 3rd episode but have liked it so far. First episode was really cool, but I thought the second episode was especially interesting. They did a good job of explaining things so far to make it informative and entertaining.

Agree. Really good makeup/effects making the victims look like they were literally melting. That explanation of what happens to victims of radiation exposure was terrifying.

Lol @ the nudity in episode 3. I have seen all 3 episodes and loving it. The husband in episode 3, hell of a makeup job!

It appears only 2 people knew how terrible this event was. The helicopter flying over the core melting was eye opening.

As someone who has been to Pripyat (before it was 'legal'), I am excited to watch it.

When did you go and what were the circumstances surrounding your visit? Always thought it would be the ultimate ghost town experience or a modern day Pompeii, but from google maps imaging it looks as if the vandalism and decay has had its toll.

'95, we were staying in Brest, Belarus. We had a local 'handler' who found someone who knew a way in and just wanted money. I had brought a extra suitcase just full of Marlboro Red cartons with the American tax stamp on them and that was better than gold bars. I think I gave him 2 cartons for full transport round trip and a guide in. We didn't go near the reactor; well, near as in relative terms. This was long before even locals were 'allowed' in so tours weren't a thing yet. The area was completely 'pristine' as far as no graffiti or vandalism or stuff like that. Wildlife had not really come back much so it was really creepy quiet. No machinery humming or air conditioners turning on or cars honking. We did wear masks and gloves and brought a complete change of clothes to throw everything away we had on. I say throw it away, but the guide kept all our jeans because American jeans were also worth a lot on black market. We didn't sit down or rub up against stuff or pick up anything (other than maybe looking at a few newspapers or books that sort of thing). Tried very hard not to get dust on us. Honestly we didn't know what was bad for us so we just acted like everything was.

I have lots of pics somewhere (you know, back in the days of actual film), just no clue where after 7 or 8 PCSs. A day after we came back we had State Department officials come tell us we had to leave the country and we thought at first we got in trouble but it was the day those American tourists were shot down in a balloon so they didn't know if Americans were being targeted or what, so they made us leave.

The whole series was fantastic. I learned so much from watching. Would watch again.

I am a huge fan of HBO mini-series. They pack it all in perfectly and sometimes a short story just hits a home-run. It doesn't get drawn out.

I assume you watched The Night Of. If not, you must.

Reactions: sbaPoke
So. Question is. Would you want to be located near a nuclear plant. They really are a great and clean source of electricity. But still. I know pso almost built black fox or whatever in inola

Reactions: sbaPoke
very good...even educational. Surprised we don't see more of them being built but it appears the economics of it aren't working out.

The only reason I'd be remotely concerned about being near a reasonably modern reactor here in the states is terrorism.

And even then, not sure I'd be all that concerned.

The only reason I'd be remotely concerned about being near a reasonably modern reactor here in the states is terrorism.

And even then, not sure I'd be all that concerned.

Agree. Maybe I am overly optimistic, but I suspect that there is a big difference between currently active nuclear reactors, and nuclear reactors in 1986. And, as detailed in the show, the USSR built theirs on the cheap and buried a discovered design flaw because they didn't want to pay to fix it or admit that they had made a mistake.

What has there been? 3 incidents? Chernobyl, 3 mile, and Fukushima? I think the red tape you have to go through to commission and cost to build will be an issue. I think once wind incentives go away and natural gas goes up maybe you see them considered more,

What has there been? 3 incidents? Chernobyl, 3 mile, and Fukushima? I think the red tape you have to go through to commission and cost to build will be an issue. I think once wind incentives go away and natural gas goes up maybe you see them considered more,
The wind industry is going belly up. Until engineers can figure out how to store wind energy it will never survive on its own.

we were driving out in west texas a few years ago with these turbines were just getting started. We stopped and talked to a dude who was out there and he was the owner of the property. He told us his deal, not 100% of it, but most of it, and it wasn't anything to write home about. Maybe things have changed over the years and property owners got together and tried to move the needle, but it was just not a lot of money. I'm sure someone is making money but I bet it's not the property owners. Throw in the subsidies and the curve changes.

we were driving out in west texas a few years ago with these turbines were just getting started. We stopped and talked to a dude who was out there and he was the owner of the property. He told us his deal, not 100% of it, but most of it, and it wasn't anything to write home about. Maybe things have changed over the years and property owners got together and tried to move the needle, but it was just not a lot of money. I'm sure someone is making money but I bet it's not the property owners. Throw in the subsidies and the curve changes.
It’s the owners.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT