ADVERTISEMENT

Cedar tree help

Adman513

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Yukon
We've already had one die in our front lawn and another appears to be on its way. The lower branches are turning brown, and the browning is getting higher each day. Do you think it is a fungus? If so, is there anything I can do about it?

We've already had one die in our front lawn and another appears to be on its way. The lower branches are turning brown, and the browning is getting higher each day. Do you think it is a fungus? If so, is there anything I can do about it?

Native cedars (in some cases actually junipers) are usually very tough and hardy trees. You in Tulsa? Might check with the OSU Ag Extension for your county to see if something is taking them out.

Could be "wind burn". We went through 4 dwarf cedars before finally reaching out to the OSU Extension office here in Tulsa. They said steer clear of this tree and replace them with something different.

Thanks, guys. I'm actually in Yukon. Thought about going to OSU-OKC for help/opinions too.

Have you checked for bagworms? Evil little bastards.

Could be "wind burn". We went through 4 dwarf cedars before finally reaching out to the OSU Extension office here in Tulsa. They said steer clear of this tree and replace them with something different.
Thanks, guys. I'm actually in Yukon. Thought about going to OSU-OKC for help/opinions too.

Check out Master Gardner's

Start here, and I'm guessing they send out a monthly e-mail of "yard stuff" like we receive from the Tulsa organization:

http://www.okcmg.org/

if there is ever a fire those cedars go up like a 4th of July firework. You don't want them around your house and probably not even in the yard. They are a tinderbox waiting to explode. I hear ranchers hate them and the state was going to subsidize them to get rid of them. Your tree probably picked up some kind of fungus from the ground and it's just working its' way up.

Purkey,

You are likely talking about the Eastern Red Cedar which is turning into an enormous problem in OK. I don't think that is likely what the op is talking about. Not that any cedar is immune to easily burning, but the problem in OK and parts of TX has to do with one specific species.

Purkey,

You are likely talking about the Eastern Red Cedar which is turning into an enormous problem in OK. I don't think that is likely what the op is talking about. Not that any cedar is immune to easily burning, but the problem in OK and parts of TX has to do with one specific species.
I think you're right tc...I think it is the ER Cedar giving all the problems. I watched an open field fire that was dotted with a bunch of them and they lighting up like flares. I had a bunch (not sure what kind of cedar they were) around the house and cut them all down per the advice of the local fireman. I still have some but they have gotten so large that I hate to part with them...I think they are junipers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT