ADVERTISEMENT

Carroll….

I get this. But if he has mat issues and gets rode for mins its hard to get TDs. Taking Warner down who is stingy is really impressive though. Hoping for the best!
You need to read the Art of War!

Let him give up a riding time point. Score 9 points in the 1st period, rest for the full second period on bottom, give up an escape to start the third and get another well rested 9 points in the 3rd.

Win every match 18-5!

You need to read the Art of War!

Let him give up a riding time point. Score 9 points in the 1st period, rest for the full second period on bottom, give up an escape to start the third and get another well rested 9 points in the 3rd.

Win every match 18-5!
Shall we just put him on the top of the podium now and call it good lol? Would love for that to happen every match of course.

Maybe, but with three points for a takedown the emphasis on takedowns is almost as important in folkstyle as freestyle. Still if you get pinned while taking down all the points in the world do not matter. Christian is very strong and incredibly athletic. He will figure out the mat, but expect some adjustment time. I do not see anyone pinning him, but he may not get three takedowns in every match either.

Love watching the Carroll interview and I believe he’s the real deal. But I’ll play devils advocate…. Didn’t Bryce Young wrestle in a senior event and beat several senior studs before he tranferred to the pokes from northwestern? And this isn’t a shot at young at all. Just wondering if we are jumping the gun a tad when it comes to freestyle vs folk style.
He was a bad ass who also went on to be the starting qb for Alabama😁

Shall we just put him on the top of the podium now and call it good lol? Would love for that to happen every match of course.
It was obviously a joke...but sorta true.

If he gets rode for an entire period, just dont give up back points and don't waste too much energy. I am not too worried about him giving up a riding time point.

As he matures at the college level, his ground game will get significantly better.

Sorry yes Carter
He did well at senior nationals. Not quite the same level of success CC has had so apples to oranges IMO.

Also, as we see with Jax and Bo, lighter weights can have younger guys be more immediately successful compared to the heavier weights. Not as common to see young studs at 184+ than it is 125-141 IMO.

Love watching the Carroll interview and I believe he’s the real deal. But I’ll play devils advocate…. Didn’t Bryce Young wrestle in a senior event and beat several senior studs before he tranferred to the pokes from northwestern? And this isn’t a shot at young at all. Just wondering if we are jumping the gun a tad when it comes to freestyle vs folk style.
Yes it is jumping the gun to see a few freestyle matches and then proclaim someone will be a 4x anything. However taking down other studs is a great sign... as is him being powerful after a large weight cut.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and it is not a huge weight cut everybody needs to quit talking about how much weight everyone has to lose or might not feel good when they get there. Nobody is cutting that much weight.
While I did mention that he looked like a specimen, I meant that in a good way.

He was only in the mid-220's I think? So really, 20 pounds on a guy that size is probably a good thing health and athleticism wise in regards to his cut.

Yes, could it be tough if he doesn't follow the directions of the team OSU has to get to his peak ability...of course. But if he does it how the pros tell him to, it should be fine and beneficial to him.

Reactions: BigDogsGottaEat
Everyone needs to take a deep breath and it is not a huge weight cut everybody needs to quit talking about how much weight everyone has to lose or might not feel good when they get there. Nobody is cutting that much weight.
One pound seems like a big weight cut to us non wrestlers. LOL. But point taken.

My jaw dropped when I saw the photos. He is ripped AF. Great to see!

Reactions: TheJimReaper
He was what about 245ish? He’s down to 215 so 30 lbs that’s not a big deal but the additional 18 lbs could be more challenging. I have no doubt he will have success at 197 I just he has the energy at the end of matches and feels healthy down at the weight.

Reactions: BigDogsGottaEat
I also remember marsteller when we tried him at 157 to make the lineup and he had no energy. Not trying to be a downer. Love the carroll kid and everything he represents. I’ll stop with examples. I know JS and CS know what they are doing and this kid does too. Looking forward to the trials.

I also remember marsteller when we tried him at 157 to make the lineup and he had no energy. Not trying to be a downer. Love the carroll kid and everything he represents. I’ll stop with examples. I know JS and CS know what they are doing and this kid does too. Looking forward to the trials.
Marsteller was on the munchy program, he gased at 165 also.

He was what about 245ish? He’s down to 215 so 30 lbs that’s not a big deal but the additional 18 lbs could be more challenging. I have no doubt he will have success at 197 I just he has the energy at the end of matches and feels healthy down at the weight.
I don’t think he was that heavy?

Cutting that much weight is so brutal. I still blame cutting weight for my late academic development lol.

Reactions: bwel9339
I never cut that much weight, I was just dense.
You were lucky lol. On my near death bed as a freshmen a few upperclassmen tried to convince me to cut to the next lower weight class. My answer…….I would die.

You were lucky lol. On my near death bed as a freshmen a few upperclassmen tried to convince me to cut to the next lower weight class. My answer…….I would die.
Haha, cutting weight sucks when you don't know how to do it.

I weighed around 110 as a freshman and Wrestled at 103 and that wasn't as bad as 128ish to 119 the next year. The difference, I did it alot better as a freshman and kept it going the right direction the whole season.

I blame cutting weight for need to cut weight at 40 haha!

Out of curiosity what’s the proper way to cut weight?
Eating clean healthy foods, staying away from junk food and booze. Drinking plenty of water and getting plenty of sleep and rest. Also, allowing your body time to get off the weight and adjust physically.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Out of curiosity what’s the proper way to cut weight?
OSU has excellent staff for that! The S&C department has great nutritionists.

I was never very good at it? The least miserable for me was drinking nothing but water with very little meat and getting my protein from nuts and other nutrients from fruits and veggies. It seemed like I could eat all of that stuff I "wanted" and could get the weight off.

The most miserable was eating what I wanted while drinking Dr. Pepper and losing 9-10 pounds in 48 hour periods.

I tried a laxative once and it didn't kick in until the semis of a tourney...which was terrible.

Since we're sharing, I walked onto our small campus weighing 168 my freshman year after a lot of lifting and I wasn't fat. Was more or less recruited to wrestle 134 and needless to say that wasn't happening lol. Struggled to make 142 but I didn't know anything about cutting the right way. Not many did in those days. And to make matters much much worse, I roomed with a heavyweight that ate constantly..... ya that sucked lol.

Carroll looked incredibly muscular and strong. He really has a lot of horsepower. Also looked pretty quick for a man his size. Technique is solid. Very aggressive - he doesn't hang, he commits 100% to scoring moves. With his horsepower and mind set, I don't see him having any issues getting off bottom in folkstyle. I see him being one of the top 197lbers next year as long as the cut isn't too much. I like his strength, quickness and low center of gravity for folkstyle. His height and weight is suited to compete for multiple titles at 197 - not at heaviweight in my opinion. He is the kind of recruit we have not been getting for quite some time, other than Fix, and Penn State has been filling most of their lineup with guys like Carroll. Look at our lineups in the early 2000s and you'll see it full of guys like Carroll - Rosolt, Pendleton, Hendricks, Thompson, Mocco, etc... all multiple champs. We need lots of guys like Carroll to get back to the way we were...

Agree with Blair, it’s also hard to argue with him when his Transfer Portal info has been spot on thus far! 16lbs isn’t a ton being 210+lbs, he’s got a ton of time to do it correctly, & a staff that know what they’re doing. Which is part of it, the rest is on the kid himself & CC seems like a smart kid who is very disciplined! He acknowledged his height when asked about going down, seems like he understands 197 is what’s best for him personally, rather than just for the team’s sake. OTT will be interesting, I’d be happy if just 1 Cowboy/Former Cowboy makes the team, will be a gauntlet at every weight. For CC just making it was big IMO, was a tough bracket! I also don’t think he will struggle on bottom nearly as much as people have implied here, he’s wrestled folkstyle his whole life & has had a full RS year in the room working on it. With Doucet, who won 50% of his matches off riding time points… Like others mentioned 3 pt takedown makes mat wrestling slightly less significant, as we saw lots of guys choose neutral instead of down. If they can’t take you down and you choose neutral, hard to get a riding time point. Don’t think it’ll be a problem, see example - Yonger Bastida, had 0 folkstyle experience, second year at Iowa State 5th @ NCAAs 197lbs.

In reference to story time and laxatives, Coach got us new white singlets, our second dual in them a kid on my team had tried laxatives, it didn’t hit him until mid match. He had a blowout, all 2nd and 3rd period you could see the brown stripe on his singlet, he acted as if nothing happened and was wrestling hard. And that’s how he earned the nickname “Booty Stain Blaine”, which he’s still referred as to this day. Lmao

Carroll looked incredibly muscular and strong. He really has a lot of horsepower. Also looked pretty quick for a man his size. Technique is solid. Very aggressive - he doesn't hang, he commits 100% to scoring moves. With his horsepower and mind set, I don't see him having any issues getting off bottom in folkstyle. I see him being one of the top 197lbers next year as long as the cut isn't too much. I like his strength, quickness and low center of gravity for folkstyle. His height and weight is suited to compete for multiple titles at 197 - not at heaviweight in my opinion. He is the kind of recruit we have not been getting for quite some time, other than Fix, and Penn State has been filling most of their lineup with guys like Carroll. Look at our lineups in the early 2000s and you'll see it full of guys like Carroll - Rosolt, Pendleton, Hendricks, Thompson, Mocco, etc... all multiple champs. We need lots of guys like Carroll to get back to the way we were...
His picture after the match is what stood out to me. Carroll looks like the type of wrestler that we see from PSU or Iowa. Strong, with muscular upper body, who physically wears down his opponent.

His picture after the match is what stood out to me. Carroll looks like the type of wrestler that we see from PSU or Iowa. Strong, with muscular upper body, who physically wears down his opponent.
His power and explosiveness was on full display - blowing through opponents.

The kid is going to be good. No doubt about that at all. Looking forward to seeing him on the mat next year. I really think he is going to have a positive impact on other wrestlers in the room also!
Agree with positive impact on team, he seems like a natural leader, social kid, and per interviews is a good communicator/pretty vocal. Love Daton but by nature, he isn’t very vocal or the kind to take charge. Having the only world class guy in the room be a quiet guy and kind of shy, the last couple years wasn’t ideal. IMO guys like David Carr and KOT have made their teams so much better, as they’re very social and vocal people, seem more willing to offer to jump in and help other guys unprompted. Multiple teammates of both have credited and noted how much they’ve helped them, even guys way out of their weight range. Stuff like “KOT saw me get taken down last dual by this double leg, and pointed out a few things I could do to defend that”. Could be wrong about Daton, but just think having an older proven natural leader, that’s vocal and leading the pack(on athlete side), jumping in to help guys would be beneficial. Think Plott will do a good job leading the room this year IMO though, he’s the kind of leader you’d follow anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT