ADVERTISEMENT

Cabo vs Riviera Maya

The Duke

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Austin TX
Looking to take the wife on a quick getaway, 3-4 nights. Looking for privacy, avoiding big crowds, nice accommodations, good food and wine. Thanks in advance-

My wife and I stayed at the El Dorado Royale in Riviera Maya. Adults only resort, several restaurants to choose from that were really good for an all-inclusive place. The service was also top notch. The beach wasn't all that great, but I don't like sand or saltwater, so I stayed near the pools which there are several to choose from. If you get a casita, you basically have your own pool outside your door with your own waiter.

They also have a top-shelf martini bar that they don't really advertise where you can get good liquor and drinks that's still free.

Do most simply take taxis from the airport to Riviera Maya properties? Or do most resorts have shuttles?

We took a shuttle. Probably took us maybe 30 minutes.

Love them both. Went to secrets golf and spa resort in Cabo this summer. It was too
Notch

I would book it myself and use http://www.usa-transfers.com for my roundtrip transfer. They are great, on time every time, and waiting for you when you land at Cancun airport. Its a private transfer, so no waiting for other people.

El Dorado Royale is very nice
Secrets Maroma..... is incredibly great with a great beach too, if the saragassum is not so bad, but its been terrible this whole year.

Rosewood Mayakoba and Banyan Tree Mayakoba......if money doesn't matter

A little less money but a great place is Excellence Riviera Cancun. Not Cancun, between Cancun and Playa.

Of course there are tons of great places, but the extra money will get you adults only and more peace and quiet.

http://www.elencantoinn.com/index.html This is not a big resort (San Jose del Cabo) - I've stayed at the the Barcelo, Westin Regina and other big places in the Los Cabos area- but if you are looking for peace and quiet and within walking distance of nice quaint places to hang out in San Jose del Cabo - this is it. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves here - rent a jeep - go all over the peninsula - (up to La Paz, around to Todos Santos) - explore some back roads --- (Santiago is nice... check out the little restaurant south of the main square- you can't miss it). I like the Riviera / Cancun area- but it's a little too much like Vegas by the beach for me... IMHO - you won't be disappointed in San Jose del Cabo area - and Cabo San Lucas plenty close to run down there and check all that out too. Have fun wherever you go !

We're headed to Cozumel then the Cayman Islands in 12 days for 8 beautiful days. Ready!

We'll be on a cruise. Cozumel/cayman/Montego Bay

We're going to scuba in caymans. Excited for that! Ferry on over and scuba with us!

Reactions: inspoke
We are taking the ferry over to Cozumel to dive, but early in the week before you get there. Have fun!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT