ADVERTISEMENT

brackets

Heil's road will be no cake walk either.

Heil should beat Gasca and Cruz and meet Ward in the quarters. So far Ward has Heil's number, but the last time they met, it was one of those that could have gone either way, Ward just hit it first and caught Heil off guard I think. Heil should be ready for Ward this time and beat him. That puts him up against Manley or Ashnault in the semi's. I'm not too worried about either one at this point. That puts Heil in the finals against most likely McKenna, but could be Jack. I think if it's Jack, it'll be a win for Heil. I think McKenna figures out how to get a takedown and it'll be close......too close for me to even take a shot at who wins. Whoever he gets, I hope he's ready.

March is made up of winning matches that "on paper" you ain't suppose to win!!! Legends are made that way! I'm using 25 for example....probably no one out there does not expect the top 4 to be in the semis....I'm betting it don't happen....not sure who but why not someone like Eddie!

I agree in that crazy things happen. It's unfortunate that we didn't get to see Klimara against Megaludis for the whole 7 minutes. The touch fall was crap and it ended what seemed to be a good match. So until the time I get to see the post seasonesk Eddie wrestle someone highly ranked, I will go off of what I know. All I have to read is his matches against ranked wrestlers which include Millhof and Megaludis to which he is 0-3 since Feb 1st. I really think Klimara can beat Megaludis, I hope it happens. I also am using 125 as an example. I think it could happen at 149, 157, 174 and 184.....we have chances to be in finals in 6 or 7 weights.

So I ran through the brackets and I think Eddie has a good shot at 5th place.

The top 4 are the top 4.
Klimara will most likely loos to Mega in the quarters. IF that is the case, he will most likely have Lambert or Millhof. I don't see Youtsey or Macri beating Millhof and Lambert will lose to Gilman. I think Eddie can beat either one to go to the Conso quarters where he might wrestle Cruz or Mcghee or Peters. I like his chances against all of them to get to the semi's against Gilman who will lose to Tomasello. Gilman will beat Klimara and he will wrestle for 5th. That's how I see it anyway.
Klimara has to get through youtsey before he he nears a match up with Megaludis. I think that might actually be his toughest match of the tournament (excluding The top 4)

No dis respect to Youtsey... He is tough. However, if Eddie is gonna make a serious run he needs to get past Youtsey without a ton of trouble. Never really know what Youtsey will show up!

According to Flo if everything went to seed we are currently 18 points behind PSU.

OSU has 3 potential important head to head matchups with PSU in the Qrts: 1) they have to get to the match, 2) they need to win two of three, 3) the other guys not going heads up with PSU need to wrestle slightly better than seeds/expected (eg. all making seeds, a couple guys better, or non-seed getting that one or two extra matches or pins. That can be the difference in the 18 pts, but won't be what you call "likely" or easy.

For the team's sake you need guys like Smith with a draw that goes into Nolf in the Qrts, knock Nolf out and then Gantt and you've got Nolf, Gantt and Miller/Martinez all on the back side fighting for 3rd and thus potential for a larger point spread 1/2 vs 4/5 OSU v PSU. The point difference from 2nd to 3rd not enough to win a team title.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
There are a lot of ways to make up 18 points (or 30 if you assume a bonus point spread which is fair). An 11 seed like Collica would be projected to get 2 points. If he gets to the finals (paging Josh Kindig), suddenly he scores 16 (even if he loses) without factoring bonus points. One performance like that and one big miss by Penn State could make all the difference. We aren't the favorites, but we''re in it!

There are a lot of ways to make up 18 points (or 30 if you assume a bonus point spread which is fair). An 11 seed like Collica would be projected to get 2 points. If he gets to the finals (paging Josh Kindig), suddenly he scores 16 (even if he loses) without factoring bonus points. One performance like that and one big miss by Penn State could make all the difference. We aren't the favorites, but we''re in it!

But you have no control over what PSU does unless wrestling them head to head. Collica could pick up a bunch of extra, but at the same time McCutcheon could have a great tourney and pick up 16 cancelling out Collica's. But if knocking out their big scorer(s) can directly decrease their output by 8 while increasing your own by 8, thus ensure a +16 differential.

I think Klimara is in the best spot for him. Although he has not wrestled as well as he had hoped of late, he has had good matches against megaludis in the past. Wrestled ok until fall this year and a couple years ago took him down twice in first period, but lost match. I can not remember a close or competitive match against Gillman (think it was Clark who beat him in round of 12 2 years ago, but not positive). He has to get there and it will take his best match, but I like that match up the best for him. We will need some surprises (Kindig, Rosholt, Branch) and everything to go our way, including some upsets against penn st and them to have losses on the back side. There are always surprises in March, so hoping things go our way.

I think Klimara is in the best spot for him. Although he has not wrestled as well as he had hoped of late, he has had good matches against megaludis in the past. Wrestled ok until fall this year and a couple years ago took him down twice in first period, but lost match. I can not remember a close or competitive match against Gillman (think it was Clark who beat him in round of 12 2 years ago, but not positive). He has to get there and it will take his best match, but I like that match up the best for him. We will need some surprises (Kindig, Rosholt, Branch) and everything to go our way, including some upsets against penn st and them to have losses on the back side. There are always surprises in March, so hoping things go our way.
I think the gap has widened between him and mega.. Hope I'm wrong but mega was really starting to turn it up in rec hall before he pinned Eddie* (bad call)

People seem down on Eddie....I don't fully understand it. Is it cause he has lost to Milhoff twice? Yea he probably should win those matches but Milhoff is the 5 seed in the tourney and has a ton of quality wins. Point being.....maybe it's just a bad match up for Eddie. I don't think he is wrestling as bad as maybe some are thinking.

But you have no control over what PSU does unless wrestling them head to head. Collica could pick up a bunch of extra, but at the same time McCutcheon could have a great tourney and pick up 16 cancelling out Collica's. But if knocking out their big scorer(s) can directly decrease their output by 8 while increasing your own by 8, thus ensure a +16 differential.

That is true but, as you yourself pointed out, the difference between 2nd and 3rd is not enough. While it would be big to win those quarters (I wasn't disagreeing with you, btw, just pointing out that there are a lot of paths to the title), we'd have to hope someone coming on the back finished the job. It could happen, but we don't have control of that either. If Penn State over achieves, we don't have much chance to catch them, but thats not a given.

I think Collica has the best shot at some major upsets. I feel he was screwed with his seeding, but I understand it. He will show up and prove he's better.

I think Collica makes it to the quarters against Mayes. I think he beats Mayes this time and gets Sorensen in the semi's. He can beat Sorensen, but I don't think he will this time. I think he will then see Oliver and beat him and get Sueflohn for the 3rd place match. IF Collica gets past Mayes, that is a major boost for OSU. Collica is on fire right now.

That is true but, as you yourself pointed out, the difference between 2nd and 3rd is not enough.
Which is why winning 2 of those 3 in the quarters is so key, because then its not a 2nd to 3rd issue, it has a greater chance of being a 1st/2nd to 4th/5th. Beat a guy in placing mach for 3rd, its only a 3rd vs 4th or in the finals a 1st v 2nd, but quarters much more potential.

I think we will be right in it even if we lose all 3 qtrs matchups and if Boyd loses to Dean. I think we end up with 8 AAs and some of the high. Klimara 5/6, Heil 1/2, collica 3/4, Smith 3/4, AD1, Rogers 5-8, Boyd 3/4, Marsden 3/4. None of those are crazy and I think all are very attainable as individuals. The hard part is having them all happen. Compare to PSU, 125 3/4, 149 1/2, 157 1/2, 174 1/2, 197 1/2. I don't expect AAs from mccutcheon or Conoway. If we get 8AAs with 2 in the finals I think it's close, especially if nolf and McIntosh lose in the finals. We will need to do a lot of work on the backside, but of we can get our 8 to the qtrs it will make it a lot easier.

Reactions: oberebo
Smith is a quarterfinal win away from being a finalist........

Ryan and Luke Smith should be good warm ups to Nolf. There's only 2 scenarios that happen.
If Joe beats Nolf, he should beat Gantt and get IMAR in the finals.
If Nolf beats Joe, he should see Pack or Scheidel. Then I am betting it will be Miller if he came into the touney healthy. He beats Miller to get Gannt for 3rd. So I see him finishing no less than 4th. which is good IMO.

It is very tough to overachieve when you are seeded 1st or 2nd at four weight classes.

The funny thing about this tournament and looking at the brackets is those lower seeded guys fail to recognize what the seeding committee think. That is what makes this tournament so much fun.

Conoway and the PSU 184 pounder could do better than seeds, but the 184 pounder seems to be struggling now. Not a good time for that.

I've poured over the 125 bracket and I can actually see Klimara finishing 4th...losing to Mega twice...which hurts.

After his quarterfinal bout with Mega, his bracket could shape up nicely for a run.

I've poured over the 125 bracket and I can actually see Klimara finishing 4th...losing to Mega twice...which hurts.

After his quarterfinal bout with Mega, his bracket could shape up nicely for a run.
Which of the top 4 do you have him beating?

I'll have to look, but none I think. After the quarters, there's going to be a casualty of good Wrestlers and I think I only had one upset in the semis?

I'll have to look, but none I think. After the quarters, there's going to be a casualty of good Wrestlers and I think I only had one upset in the semis?
If the top 4 make the semis then the losers cross over, so Klimara would face either Tomasello or Gilman in the consi semis. Now if one of them were to get upset then I'm not sure where they would go, but I think they stay on their side.

I don't think I had the top 4 in the semis? I'm headed to the office shortly.

I've got Millhof upsetting Gilman and Klimara never sees any of the top seeds except Mega.

NATO, dance, mega, Klimara, Millhof, peters, Gilman and Schram are my AAs in that order of placement.

Reactions: april racer
So Rogers needs to come in swinging here. His first round is not easy by any means. He's beat some quality kids. I think Rogers still gets the win but it'll be a fight. Then he goes to a bigger fight with Epperly. I still think Rogers pulls it out here and meets Nickal in the quarters. I know he can beat Nickal, but I don't see it happening now. He should have a nice road with Ottinger next and he's pinned him twice. Rogers should Brunson or Hammond next and I don't see Rogers getting past them. I think 7th or 8th at best, and hope for better.....Beating Nickal would be amazing.

I think Collica has the best shot at some major upsets. I feel he was screwed with his seeding, but I understand it. He will show up and prove he's better.

I think Collica makes it to the quarters against Mayes. I think he beats Mayes this time and gets Sorensen in the semi's. He can beat Sorensen, but I don't think he will this time. I think he will then see Oliver and beat him and get Sueflohn for the 3rd place match. IF Collica gets past Mayes, that is a major boost for OSU. Collica is on fire right now.
I think Collica advances to the semi's as well, but he beats Jefferies, not Mayes. I like our chance at an upset here. But Collica is on fire, and has just dominated Davion.

Haven't had a chance to even look at the brackets. Do we have any pigtails tomorrow?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT