ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 results

Hard to believe we would set the table for Misery to come back and win a Big 12 conference title. Very difficult for me to get my mind around.

Obviously disappointing season and result. We can still have several conference champs and hopefully AA in a couple weeks.

The one thing I have noticed is the super seniors have not done as well as expected. I watching B1G tournament, Kemerer and Eirman have both defaulted -no idea if hurt and Marinelli is not in the finals (I think 4 seed) and I believe he was a champ the previous 3 or 4 years, but never performed well at NCAA. Stefan Micich was a previous B1G champ and high AA and finished 4th after wrestling in Olympics. I am sure there are other examples.

The point is wrestling is a tough sport and not everyone wants to do it forever. Fortunately we seem to have a lot of young talented wrestlers for the future.

Austin Gomez just beat Sasso surprisingly pretty easily. Gave up a takedown in first 15 seconds going for a big throw and then took Sasso down 3 straight times. Were we trying to get him here? ISU must hate that.

Obviously disappointing season and result. We can still have several conference champs and hopefully AA in a couple weeks.

The one thing I have noticed is the super seniors have not done as well as expected. I watching B1G tournament, Kemerer and Eirman have both defaulted -no idea if hurt and Marinelli is not in the finals (I think 4 seed) and I believe he was a champ the previous 3 or 4 years, but never performed well at NCAA. Stefan Micich was a previous B1G champ and high AA and finished 4th after wrestling in Olympics. I am sure there are other examples.

The point is wrestling is a tough sport and not everyone wants to do it forever. Fortunately we seem to have a lot of young talented wrestlers for the future.
I think Marinelli is in the finals. I agree though, it seems like the 6 to 7 year guys are beat up.

Austin Gomez just beat Sasso surprisingly pretty easily. Gave up a takedown in first 15 seconds going for a big throw and then took Sasso down 3 straight times. Were we trying to get him here? ISU must hate that.
I think we tried to get him out of HS and as a transfer. Awesome story in that he had a somewhat mediocre career, medically retired, and then came back to practically run through the Big 10 conference.

I think Marinelli is in the finals. I agree though, it seems like the 6 to 7 year guys are beat up.
You are correct - I missed that - Marinelli was the 2 seed and wrestles the 4 seed from Michigan - Cam Amine, who beat the Ohio State guy (1 seed).

You are correct - I missed that - Marinelli was the 2 seed and wrestles the 4 seed from Michigan - Cam Amine, who beat the Ohio State guy (1 seed).
Which was a surprise. Iowa MFF’d Kemerer in the Semis last night. Then Eirman and Cassioppi in the finals today. Very disappointing.

Were they hurt or were they ducking out
Hard to know - I only watched part of it. I know last year they had some wrestlers that won B1G and then lost to same PSU wrestler at NCAA (141, 174), so we can speculate. Their HWT was not going to win regardless against Stevson.

Hard to know - I only watched part of it. I know last year they had some wrestlers that won B1G and then lost to same PSU wrestler at NCAA (141, 174), so we can speculate. Their HWT was not going to win regardless against Stevson.
I don’t know how many times a healthy wrestler has FF’d in a conference finals match. Not MFF’d. That’s what Cassioppi did against Steveson. I agree that Steveson would beat him. I didn’t know that wrestling is now only wrestling guys you can beat.

I appreciate Geer and Sheets, but its time for some new blood in our lineup IMO.
Now there was a big win, Plott gets the winning takedown with 12 seconds left and rides Mocco out. Plott shoots and Mocco did not get a hold of a leg and prevent a Plott takedown like he had several times before. That is 3 champions.

As bad as things are, add 23 points from AJ and even with the two goose eggs we still tie this stupid thing and if AJ would have matched Fix’s team points we win it. Man that would have been exciting to watch of it would have come down to 197.

I also second the idea of pulling some NIL money to get Kackeisen from UNI.

As bad as things are, add 23 points from AJ and even with the two goose eggs we still tie this stupid thing and if AJ would have matched Fix’s team points we win it. Man that would have been exciting to watch of it would have come down to 197.

I also second the idea of pulling some NIL money to get Kackeisen from UNI.
3 goose eggs

So what were final team standings? We move into 2nd or not? Didn’t see.

Is that our worst conference finish.....ever?

Even w/o AJ how do we not win the conference? A couple years ago there was talk about these recruits winning an NC. Results don’t seem to match our talent or where we certainly should be...

• Sad
Reactions: big12defense

Even w/o AJ how do we not win the conference? A couple years ago there was talk about these recruits winning an NC. Results don’t seem to match our talent or where we certainly should be...
Which recruits?

I appreciate Geer and Sheets, but its time for some new blood in our lineup IMO.
Well Geer is out of eligibility and Sheets may not be able to stay in the lineup because there are three other guys gunning for that spot either in redshirt or incoming.
Any way that we can lure Parker Keckeisen away from UNI? Dude is a beast.
We have somebody better in the room for 184 next year.

It's not even remotely close to our worst conference finish ever. And three guys were basically out with serious injuries. From 2011-2016, there were only 4 teams in the conference. Before that, there were years that we got heat by ISU, OU, Nebraska and Missouri. Because the Big 12 was respectable.

And we are going to win a national title next year. "These" recruits I'm.assuming you're talking about.... One of them took 3rd after gutting out some big wins himself this weekend at 125. Carter is a 133 wrestling up at 141. A summer in the weight room will do wonders for him. Plott won a freaking Big 12 title and is now on pace to be a 4x Big 12 champ... Something only accomplished by a handful of wrestlers. Surber made it to the conference finals in his first season of competition... In a super deep weight in this conference (6 qualifying spots)... And he's at least 25 pounds underweight!

Some of y'all look at box scores and think you are experts without watching a match.

Well Geer is out of eligibility and Sheets may not be able to stay in the lineup because there are three other guys gunning for that spot either in redshirt or incoming.

We have somebody better in the room for 184

It's not even remotely close to our worst conference finish ever. And three guys were basically out with serious injuries. From 2011-2016, there were only 4 teams in the conference. Before that, there were years that we got heat by ISU, OU, Nebraska and Missouri. Because the Big 12 was respectable.

And we are going to win a national title next year. "These" recruits I'm.assuming you're talking about.... One of them took 3rd after gutting out some big wins himself this weekend at 125. Carter is a 133 wrestling up at 141. A summer in the weight room will do wonders for him. Plott won a freaking Big 12 title and is now on pace to be a 4x Big 12 champ... Something only accomplished by a handful of wrestlers. Surber made it to the conference finals in his first season of competition... In a super deep weight in this conference (6 qualifying spots)... And he's at least 25 pounds underweight!

Some of y'all look at box scores and think you are experts without watching a match.
Haas better than Keckeisen? So we can expect Haas to be right there between Keckeisen and Aaron Brooks next year?

I wouldn’t call HWT “super deep”. 6 qualifiers, the conference had 58 allocations I believe. How many All American honors does that field cumulatively have? Zero?

Last edited:
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Our problem is that we did not qualify four guys that were defending AA last year. Injuries just killed us. I would imagine Geer will get a wildcard spot due to his previous work.
Sheets
Whitlake
Geer
AJ

Reactions: oberebo

We have somebody better in the room for 184 next year.

You are one arrogant person that is always right and everyone else is wrong🤡. Some of your comments are completely bush league... haha.

Haas will not be in the finals at 184 next year.....therefore he will not better than UNI at 184. That guy is a beast!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT