ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 results

Carter does struggle to get off bottom but Parker is also doing a whole lot of laying on him on top. I guess it’s smart strategy to smash your opponent until you maybe get a stall call.

Carter loses 5-0. Parker looks like a grown man out there.

Last edited:
Carter loses 5-0, has a scary knee grab at the end and gets up limping, he will have the Utah kid that beat him first round in the 7th place match.

Any time we have one and Heaven forbid two wrestlers score as many points as me in a tournament that’s a bad thing.

So what do we have at 154 next year? Not as worried about TW if he can stay healthy but we have to have someone that can score some team points. Having a -16 team seeding/place differential is embarrassing.

Jokes on me though, when nothing changes that’s on me for getting my hopes up that the results will change.

Surber winning has been a highlight of my weekend though. Plus it’s funny how cocky all the 197 lb wrestling are when AJ isn’t around.

Reactions: bwel9339 and DPJ
The 197 bracket is loaded. There is not quite the top end level as last year but there are 5-6 very good wrestlers at this weight.
Surber was fantastic! He wrestled like I thought he could today. He has a tall task tomorrow but I’m proud of his effort and mental toughness. There was a lot of good wrestling today from many of our guys and from other teams. Unfortunately, Sheets and Witlake were not in that group.
The refs have been terrible the entire day. Not awarding takedowns or taking takedowns away after awarding them, missing fouls, and letting wrestlers go outside the circle and not call stoppage we’re just some of their egregious errors. It wasn’t just in OSU matches (it seemed like most of our matches had questionable calls in my biased opinion) it was in many matches. G and Surber won in spite of the refs.

I left b fore the final consos and just looked at the updated teams scores and it appears that our title streak is over. Mizzou is up by 19.5 over us and should have several is the third place matches while we have none that will make that match. Both teams have 4 in the finals with 174 matching both teams. We will be hard pressed to catch mizzou. Not scoring a single point at 3 weights and only getting a few points at 141 has done us in. Also, no AJ proved important in the team race.

Reactions: bwel9339
I can see OSU’s strategy is to avoid the OU wrestlers.

A perfect example of this is Fix, who would rather win and advance to the finals rather than face Madrigal in the consolations.

Pretty cheap if you ask me.
You seem like a good guy micco, love your passion for the gooners, be glad to buy you a beer some time

Between 4 of our starters we were 1-8 today. That doesn’t cut it or really deserve to win. Surber really helped us Look a lot better in the team standings. I don’t want to think about where we would be if he had wrestled to seed.

Between 4 of our starters we were 1-8 today. That doesn’t cut it or really deserve to win. Surber really helped us Look a lot better in the team standings. I don’t want to think about where we would be if he had wrestled to seed.
The bad year continues with the Big 12 Tournament. I think 1 wrestler really improved from the beginning of the year and that would be Surber. Well maybe G also but we will see how he does at Nationals because the Big 12 at 149 stinks. Daton is a star. I hope that our bad luck( injuries) and bad performances( the whole second half of the season, balance out next year with good luck and good performances. However, we did not develop much momentum into next year. We should end up with 3 Big 12 champs but who knows. I would guess we will have 2 All American's but it would not shock me to have 1 ( Datan of course). I don't think we should make a coaching change but I think our coaches did a poor job this year and should evaluate their performances. This seems most indicated by Sheets, and by Young not improving a bit during his true freshman year. Well we will have a lot of young talent in the room and I don't think the seniors will be hard to replace. We need better luck, better coaching and wrestler development.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain the “cut back” rule?

Gfeller gave up a penalty point from it and the commentator never explained what it was. It happened in the semifinal match.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Can anyone explain the “cut back” rule?

Gfeller gave up a penalty point from it and the commentator never explained what it was. It happened in the semifinal match.
If you leave both your feet and block your opponent's knees/legs with your leg(s) in order to return him . . . and something about a whipping motion ... that's illegal.

In G's case, the guy had G's leg in a run the pipe position. G had a whizzer and looked like he was going to try a cut back with his free hand (he actually tried this tech and gave up the td a few seconds later). But ... he changed his mind about halfway through, left his feet, and dove for a leg. When he left his feet, his free leg got caught up behind his opponent's legs ... illegal

Reactions: pokes_fan00
So are we pretty much going to know if we are eliminated before we even get to the finals?

So are we pretty much going to know if we are eliminated before we even get to the finals?
Yes. Pretty much need Mastro and Geer to get to the 3rd place match, and probably win 3rd. No more Mizzou consolation wins. Then win 3 of our finals matches to their 1 champ. I think that would get close to making up the difference. Having 3 wrestlers not score is hard to make up.

Wittlake wrestled very bad and lost. Even on 1 leg if he would have been aggressive and finish quickly like the 3rd period he wins. But if you give a 6 pt. move on your shot usually you lose. Surber is the star of the Tournament so far. It looks like he lets his opponent in deep gets a leg and then works his way up for hopefully the take down. Injuries have killed us this year.
Not that it matters I suppose but what happened to Wittlakes knee? Something from his last match? Practice? Outside of wrestling?

I left b fore the final consos and just looked at the updated teams scores and it appears that our title streak is over. Mizzou is up by 19.5 over us and should have several is the third place matches while we have none that will make that match. Both teams have 4 in the finals with 174 matching both teams. We will be hard pressed to catch mizzou. Not scoring a single point at 3 weights and only getting a few points at 141 has done us in. Also, no AJ proved important in the team race.
At some point in the next few days, it would be cool if you guys that know this stuff pretty well to project next years lineup. In a separate thread so not to gum up this one. @Harleycowboy @JAY45 @skylinepoke @oberebo @osu2082 @alex1fly @turfpoke @OHkie @je55m00r3 @liljordan082006 I will make the thread after the big 12's. I expect participation from each of you. Any of you other sobs "in the know" please join also. @Wrassler17 you have been added to the future thread as a must participate. @TheJimReaper you're added to the list, you know this stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheJimReaper
Not that it matters I suppose but what happened to Wittlakes knee? Something from his last match? Practice? Outside of wrestling?
He has not looked 100% for at least half the season. Against Bucknell he tweaked his knee hard. The way he reacted, it looked like a sure bet he tore a ligament. Was shocked he came back in to finish the match (he lost).

Any time we have one and Heaven forbid two wrestlers score as many points as me in a tournament that’s a bad thing.

So what do we have at 154 next year? Not as worried about TW if he can stay healthy but we have to have someone that can score some team points. Having a -16 team seeding/place differential is embarrassing.

Jokes on me though, when nothing changes that’s on me for getting my hopes up that the results will change.

Surber winning has been a highlight of my weekend though. Plus it’s funny how cocky all the 197 lb wrestling are when AJ isn’t around.
On Paper, a glut of blue chip talent…which, of course will be young.

Between 149, 157, & 165 they have elite recruits to work in, plus some guys who have shown some stuff.

Elite Recuits include:
Voctor Voinovich
Travis Mastrogiovanni
Anthony Ferrari
Jordan Williams

Plus you’ve got:
Jalen Harper, whom they clearly like
Daniel Manibog - same
Chance McLane - has been solid in open tournaments
Luke Mechler - has been getting positive reviews

If Wittlake isn’t able to come back 100% (or otherwise), hopefully someone will emerge to really push him as well.

- Mastro: clearly banged up, wrestling on toughness & determination.
- Young: what is causing the recent struggles on bottom? (appears healthy). He beat Hone in multiple ranking matches and Dusty is very solid on top. Hone also beat the UV guy that Carter lost to in the 1st rd.
- Sheets: looks burned out. Harper beat the WV guy that eliminated Wyatt.
- Wittlake: has lost 5 consecutive matches, probably for the 1st time in his life. Never really recovered from the rib injury and now has the knee problem. Even before the injuries, you could argue he plateaued the past 2 years.
- Plott: very solid, but I'll feel better when he starts shooting his lefty sweep single again.
- Surber: wrestling with toughness and confidence. Jumped a level, was top 30, now top 20. His opponent in the finals was also an undersized heavy the last 2 years. Now he's gotten bigger and is a top 10 guy. Hopefully Luke follows the same path.

Reactions: bwel9339 and driad
On Paper, a glut of blue chip talent…which, of course will be young.

Between 149, 157, & 165 they have elite recruits to work in, plus some guys who have shown some stuff.

Elite Recuits include:
Voctor Voinovich
Travis Mastrogiovanni
Anthony Ferrari
Jordan Williams

Plus you’ve got:
Jalen Harper, whom they clearly like
Daniel Manibog - same
Chance McLane - has been solid in open tournaments
Luke Mechler - has been getting positive reviews

If Wittlake isn’t able to come back 100% (or otherwise), hopefully someone will emerge to really push him as well.
I saw Harper & Manibog vs. Ou & they didn't look real good. Although I believe they were much smaller than who they wrestled. That could explain that.

From what I saw from Sheets and Wittlake yesterday I would just as soon see someone else get those wildcard spots.

I saw Harper & Manibog vs. Ou & they didn't look real good. Although I believe they were much smaller than who they wrestled. That could explain that.
You are right on it…Harper has wrestled up not just 1 but 2 weights (he filled in for Plott 1x this year). Betting he is hungry to get a crack at his actually weight class (157)

Reactions: driad
So we basically have around 25-27 possible remaining points and we are down 19.5 to mizzou. We will know this morning if we are still in it or not. Both OSU and ISU wrestled way below their seeds. Need mizzou and OU to lose every match.

Rumor is Wittlake shouldn’t have been wrestled in the Big 12s that’s how injuries he is.

Sheets was majorly disappointing
Probably not. Coach Smith said the other day that he couldn’t hurt it anymore by wrestling so it sounds like whatever the injury is it isn’t going to heal with some ice and rest. Which sounds to me like aka surgery possibly needed?? I don’t see his status changing within the next 2 weeks either. Wittlake has had trouble getting past some mental hurdles since he’s been in the lineup. I would imagine this knee situation is only going to add some weight to that now and his decision making and uncertainty. I actually believe that’s what we are seeing from Sheets now. Just kinda burned out. He’s had a lot of injuries he’s had to overcome in his college career and it can really take it out of you mentally and emotionally.

From what I saw from Sheets and Wittlake yesterday I would just as soon see someone else get those wildcard spots.

Wittlake has a significant knee injury and was wrestling with a huge bulky brace. He just hasn’t been healthy and then injured his knee.

Proud of him for getting out there as I know that is tough when injured.

From a good source:
Sheets has a nasty, painful rib injury.
Wittlake has a torn ACL.
Mastro got beat soundly by Utah Valley at 125 and Carter Young won 7 to 4 to take 7th and qualify for Nationals. I don't know what match I watched but track says Mastro won on overtime. Something is screwed up with the camera where all 4 mats are on the screen. So I don't know what is going on.

Mastro won its almost like you want him lose.
The multiscreen which I was watching was messed up because On track Young was wrestling on mat 4 but there was another match on multiscreen mat 4. I switched to Mat 4 and there was Carter's match. I think the multiscreen was showing some replay matches by mistake. But I am glad that Mastro won.

Mastro won but it definitely didn’t look like he was going to at the end of the 2nd. He’s got OU’s Prata for 3rd. I hope he goes neutral and stays off bottom as Prata beat him last bedlam by a hard ride.

How the hell does Keegan Moore for OU make 184? He looks 20 lbs bigger than Geer, it’s crazy.
Moore was at 197 for UNI last year. He got called for a head butt against AJ in the dual.

I still have memories of him gasping for air and dragging his way back to the center when he wrestled for us. When he transferred out, Geer transferred in. Must burn John up that he's beaten Geer twice now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT