ADVERTISEMENT

Better Call Saul....

Good call! (Get it?) AMC is binge-showing season 1 today leading up to S2E1 at 9. I'm recording a couple of them because I lost season 1 to a dvr change (with another coming this week).

Anyone having trouble with DTV Genie system?

Same tequila Gus used to kill the cartel folks

The investment guy is "Ken Wins" from BB. Walt blows up his car.

Got to appreciate a drug dealer who recognizes the value of a Mickey Mantle rookie card.

So explain something to me....

What was in the hidden compartment behind the couch? Money? Pills? Did Nacho find them, or did the guy who lived there move the couch after he came home and then move the money/pills someplace else before the cops got there?

What was in the hidden compartment behind the couch? Money? Pills? Did Nacho find them, or did the guy who lived there move the couch after he came home and then move the money/pills someplace else before the cops got there?

That was Playuh's stash spot and the drugs/cash were no longer there from what it appeared to show in the episode. You can see where someone moved the couch after the room had been tossed since there was no mess directly in front of the couch due to it having been pulled out (pushing the mess forward) and then moved back. We don't know for certain whether Nacho got ahold of it or not but one would assume he did due to how distraught Playuh was. They didn't take the laptop or the TV, were there really even baseball cards stolen? I see it just as this guy being in panic mode and wanting police to look into who broke into his pad so he made up a false item being stolen. That way he can eventually pay Mike or whoever to go after the thief. Just my .02.

Very unclear to me. I think Nacho found the stash of money. My question is why is he calling the police? Does he not realize what has happened? At one point he mentioned they also took some cash and then quickly back off. Is he hoping the police will track the baseball cards down and once he has a name of who the robber was he can have Mike track down the cash? It really made no sense to me that you would call the police if someone stole your stash. I don't think he realizes it was Nacho.

Very unclear to me. I think Nacho found the stash of money. My question is why is he calling the police? Does he not realize what has happened? At one point he mentioned they also took some cash and then quickly back off. Is he hoping the police will track the baseball cards down and once he has a name of who the robber was he can have Mike track down the cash? It really made no sense to me that you would call the police if someone stole your stash. I don't think he realizes it was Nacho.

This I agree with. He is not street smart enough to figure out it was nacho. After reading your answer, and that of @nathajw , I think that the baseball card collection was real. He wanted the police to find the thieves by contacting collectors and fences, then sic Mike on the thieves to try to recover the cash/drugs.

I thought the 2 cops handled the whole situation a bit strangely. I can see them being very suspicious, but if someone left the TV, only took the most valuable baseball cards, and tossed the place....their first question should have been "who knew about your baseball card collection". It was clear that someone was looking for something specific. The viewer knows what that was, but the cops don't. Seems they would have defaulted to what they "knew" for sure to be taken.

He called the police because he's a total amateur at being a criminal. That was the point, as Mike tried to warn him.

I wonder how much money and pills were in the hiding place? Seems like a stupid move on Nacho's part if you ask me. You've got a guy giving you a steady supply of what you need that you can very easily intimidate and you risk that for a one time score? Now the cops are on this dude and pretty soon your supply has dried up....stupid.

Reactions: JonnyVito
I wonder how much money and pills were in the hiding place? Seems like a stupid move on Nacho's part if you ask me. You've got a guy giving you a steady supply of what you need that you can very easily intimidate and you risk that for a one time score? Now the cops are on this dude and pretty soon your supply has dried up....stupid.

Nacho is a soldier, not a shot caller, you gotta' figure that's just some freelance work on his part. He's not having to kick any of that up, that haul was pure profit to him if he acted on his own.

Got to believe it was only cash. If Pills had been taken Playuh would have been much more likely to make the connection back to Nacho. My guess would be he only takes the pills from work when he is ready to make a deal. Also thought this was pretty short sited by Nacho but as noted we are not dealing with a mesa member. My guess is he probably thinks he can get all his money back and now that Playuh doesn't have any muscle and Nacho knows his true identity maybe even scare him into supplying him with more. This was a short term side deal for Nacho anyway. He's not the type of dude who has a five year master plan.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Got to believe it was only cash. If Pills had been taken Playuh would have been much more likely to make the connection back to Nacho. My guess would be he only takes the pills from work when he is ready to make a deal. Also thought this was pretty short sited by Nacho but as noted we are not dealing with a mesa member. My guess is he probably thinks he can get all his money back and now that Playuh doesn't have any muscle and Nacho knows his true identity maybe even scare him into supplying him with more. This was a short term side deal for Nacho anyway. He's not the type of dude who has a five year master plan.

And Mike will end up making Nacho pay, one way or another.

Definitely the card collection was real, the guy was a baseball junkie and had thousands of lesser cards in books stored elsewhere in his house. Who besides a baseball enthusiast would have a scoreboard above their couch?

Playuh (love that) was too stupid to realize that he had even tipped his hand to Nacho, by letting him sidle into the hummer's passenger seat. I think the cops noticed right away, something was completely off about the scene, and just waited for Playuh to leave the room to confirm their suspicions. (I noticed that the area in front of the couch was clean in a 45' angle when they walked in and looked at the mess, and I'm assuming they did as well.)

The guy is too stupid to live, first mistake was to make himself as flashy as possible and second was to blow off Mike, basically the very person who was actually keeping him safe and alive. Nacho just figured out that Playuh had to have more drugs or likely the cash stored at his house, gets the address, finds the hiding spot and snags the obviously valuable cards on the way out as a mere crime of opportunity. Playuh being that dumb, doesn't have a clue that it was Nacho and so stupid he called the police, which is undoubtedly going to lead to his being outed as a thief and dealer.

I was cracking up with his telling Nacho how he could put two girls in his Hummer, one in a bikini and the other in a parka and both would be comfortable. Like he could likely even lure two women into his vehicle in the first place. Like I said, too stupid to live.

"I'll make sure the guys at the chop shop are real gentle with her"

Solid episode, Nacho definitely working on his own some. The previews showed Mike telling Playah that Nacho was freelancing, I didn't remember that.

Jimmy's brother is a real selfish POS. I'm not looking forward to seeing him screw Jimmy over somehow which I feel is inevitable.

Jimmy's brother is a real selfish POS. I'm not looking forward to seeing him screw Jimmy over somehow which I feel is inevitable.

Of course it is. Chuck will be the main reason Jimmy McGill becomes Saul Goodman. Chuck will see to it that Jimmy can't hold on to a job at any respectable law firm.

You know it's inevitable, you still are hoping it won't happen, even though you know that Chuck is going to f*** over his baby brother good and hard.

Jimmy worshiped Chuck, took care of him and no task was too menial or beneath Jimmy if his brother asked him to do it or cater to his special brand of crazy. And yet, this is the thanks he's about to get in return.

After trying to "go straight" pay his dues and working hard to finally get his big break (which was 100% deserved, for identifying, developing and building a case where no one else had even figured out that something was askew) you know his life is going to go side-wise, and likely through absolutely no fault of his own. It at least gives you a reason to clearly understand, and actually not be too hard on the guy, when takes his own turn "breaking bad" and becoming Saul Goodman.

BTW, viewers in OKC..... last week, when that commercial came on copying the Saul Goodman TV ads, with the tagline "Better Call Zahl" I thought for certain it had to be some kind of a joke.

I was so convinced I had to look up attorney Tracy Zahl, only to discover it was actually real! I can't imagine wanting to hire her based on that ad, but I wonder just how effective a marketing campaign it has been for her.

Found out, she was arrested for drug possession in 2008, turned herself in to the Bar Association's ethics panel and had her license suspended, but went through a rehab program, got her stuff together and got her license back shortly afterwards.

I love this show but it's tough to watch knowing everything is going good for the guy but it's not going to stay that way. I can't get enough of Mike, love him as a character. I'm really interested to see how they weave in the characters from Breaking Bad as the show progresses.

Marshal, there's actually 3 words in its more formal form: "Hoboken Squat Cobbler" or as some may call it - "Full Moon Pie", the "Boston Cream Splat", or "Simple Simon the Ass Man."

The funny thing is, Jimmy came up with something so absurd, yet at the same time so believable about his client, that it will throw the cops way off the trail.

The way the two detectives kept eye-balling Playuh through the glass as he drank his coffee, you could see that they were actually buying it. That Warmholt looked like he could just be that weird and perverted that he would be engage in such fetish activity. A brilliant strategy to explain not only what the guy was trying to hide, but why he was acting so squirrelly about it as well. No doubt those cops didn't want to touch the case with a 10-ft pole after being led to believe what Playuh was up to.

I was kind of surprised at Kim's reaction to Jimmy's explanation of things. She was appalled at what he did, and made it clear to Jimmy not to ever speak of anything remotely close to what he did. I'm not saying all lawyers would do this sort of thing, I'm just saying.

I was kind of surprised at Kim's reaction to Jimmy's explanation of things. She was appalled at what he did, and made it clear to Jimmy not to ever speak of anything remotely close to what he did. I'm not saying all lawyers would do this sort of thing, I'm just saying.
One thing I've never bought about that show is why she would be the least bit interested in him, especially as this flawed reclamation project. Surely the writers and producers realize that we know squat about her, and have never legitimized her interest in Jimmy.

Reactions: Been Jammin
One thing I've never bought about that show is why she would be the least bit interested in him, especially as this flawed reclamation project. Surely the writers and producers realize that we know squat about her, and have never legitimized her interest in Jimmy.

There were indications/allusions to the fact that they've known each other a very long time during the first season.

There were indications/allusions to the fact that they've known each other a very long time during the first season.
Maybe she knew him back in the day when he wasn't morally sketchy, had a decent haircut, and wore better suits. And wasn't 15 years older than her.

She could do so much better, is this just a case of Odenkirk's ego requiring a pretty hot girlfriend on the show? When by all rights Jimmy would really score a solid 5 in real life?

Maybe she knew him back in the day when he wasn't morally sketchy, had a decent haircut, and wore better suits. And wasn't 15 years older than her.

She could do so much better, is this just a case of Odenkirk's ego requiring a pretty hot girlfriend on the show? When by all rights Jimmy would really score a solid 5 in real life?

I don't see it as a big deal. It's not like you never see a couple, in real life, that makes you wonder how that dude managed to end up with that chick who seems like she could do so much better.

As Jules Winnfield said, "Personality goes a long way".

It's not really clear but a couple of the flashback scenes have traced the relationship back to when he was working in the HHM mailroom and she was just starting with the firm.

This is a really odd take to me. You've never encountered situations where attractive women are attached to ( in some way) someone who seems well below their level?

This is a really odd take to me. You've never encountered situations where attractive women are attached to ( in some way) someone who seems well below their level?

Hey, I resemble that remark. I've known quite a few women who were much better looking, better educated and who had more success in their careers than their husbands.

Here's the deal (IMHO) she knows that Jimmy has all the smarts, drive, etc. to be successful and they've been friends a long time from when he was "Charlie Hustle" in the mail room and she was a lowly associate. She was one of the few who even knew he went to law school and passed the bar exam. She sees, and has always seen the potential in the guy and he's flat out proven that he's a hell of a lot sharper and has overcome more adversity than most of the attorneys in the firm. She also knows that it's been Chuck who has been f'ing him over and that between the two of them, he deserves a partnership as much as she does.

And in all honesty, I don't think the looks between the two of them are so far disparate that it stands out like a sore thumb or is so unreasonable to believe that she would fall for him. He makes her laugh, makes her feel appreciated and wanted and that's more than half the battle right there.

It's
A
Television
Show

Reactions: 0rangeSlice
I'm pedastalizing her. She's hot, young, not crazy, and has a really good career.

In my experience, those types of women date sketchy mail room clerks one time out of 10 million.

Not buying it.

100Tons,

I've known my share of relatively hot, young women with really promising careers (some in the legal field, some not) who have dated far sketchier dudes than Jimmy McGill.

Good grief, one could make a cottage industry of studying women who fit that description that are always falling for the "bad boy" types. Men who cheat (sleep with their friends/sisters), lie, steal from them (max out their credit cards) and even physically abuse them and those women either go back for more, or seek out another "bad boy" just like the first as his replacement.

By contrast Jimmy McGill is a knight in shining armor.

Now if you want to see a bit of bad casting that I think nearly no one could ever buy, look at the kids cast as the twin off-spring of the characters played by Thomas Jane and Anne Heche on the HBO series "Hung." Or think if you bought the notion for a single second that Shia Labouf could have been the product of the loins of Harrison Ford? Now that's some shi*-show level casting right there. It's not like Bob Odenkirk is Quasimodo and she's Morena Baccarin.

Last edited:
Reactions: CowboyJD
Now if you want to see a bit of bad casting that I think nearly no one could ever buy, look at the kids cast as the twin off-spring of the characters played by Thomas Jane and Anne Heche on the HBO series "Hung."

Haha, it's funny you say that. Every episode we watched of that the wife and I would say "don't you think they could have at least attempted to make their biological children somewhat believable?"

Anne+Heche+Thomas+Jane+Premiere+HBO+Hung+2nd+HxX-jd9EYzQl.jpg

Charlie+Saxton+Sianoa+Smit+McPhee+Hung+Season+jWWaYItGs6Nl.jpg

100Tons,

I've known my share of relatively hot, young women with really promising careers (some in the legal field, some not) who have dated far sketchier dudes than Jimmy McGill.

Good grief, one could make a cottage industry of studying women who fit that description that are always falling for the "bad boy" types. Men who cheat (sleep with their friends/sisters), lie, steal from them (max out their credit cards) and even physically abuse them and those women either go back for more, or seek out another "bad boy" just like the first as his replacement.

By contrast Jimmy McGill is a night in shining armor.

Now if you want to see a bit of bad casting that I think nearly no one could ever buy, look at the kids cast as the twin off-spring of the characters played by Thomas Jane and Anne Heche on the HBO series "Hung." Or think if you bought the notion for a single second that Shia Labouf could have been the product of the loins of Harrison Ford? Now that's some shi*-show level casting right there. It's not like Bob Odenkirk is Quasimodo and she's Morena Baccarin.
You can't make me buy it. Not common. Not at all common.

Those women usually grew up pretty princesses and started developing deflector shields for guys like Jimmy around age 7.

As any wise middle aged dude can attest, the much better get is the one who was plain as a child, never developed all the princess complex crap, and got hot as she became a young woman. Jackpot!

I think the other side of the coin was also shown a bit.

When he turned down the job and pulled the con job on the investment dude with her, she had a night of fun, but basically implied that she wasn't really interested in him as a low life con artist even though he could no doubt be successful at it.

She likes him best as a successful, respectful person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT