ADVERTISEMENT

Beto: "EC basically just like slavery"

This generally represent your position?

"they dictate that society should be structured so that the greatest possible amount of liberty is given to its members, limited only by the notion that the liberty of any one member shall not infringe upon that of any other member. Secondly, inequalities–either social or economic–are only to be allowed if the worst off will be better off than they might be under an equal distribution. Finally, if there is such a beneficial inequality, this inequality should not make it harder for those without resources to occupy positions of power – for instance, public office"
More or less.

You advocate usurping current law. Is there a check to the executive branch not enforcing law? Is there a check to a state or municipality not enforcing law?
changing not usurping.
Is there currently such a check?

changing not usurping.
Is there currently such a check?
Because it's not possible to carve out the identity portion of the Left, which you claim doesnt come from the far left/you, how do you ultimately protect the minority/offending class....whatever that is defined as by the democratically elected majority?

Because it's not possible to carve out the identity portion of the Left, which you claim doesnt come from the far left/you, how do you ultimately protect the minority/offending class....whatever that is defined as by the democratically elected majority?
The rule of law. Same as today. What ever tyranny of the majority becomes possible under a system without the senate and with a popularly elected president, is the same tyranny that is possible today. The only difference is switching from a tyranny of the minority to a tyranny of the majority.

The rule of law. Same as today. What ever tyranny of the majority becomes possible under a system without the senate and with a popularly elected president, is the same tyranny that is possible today. The only difference is switching from a tyranny of the minority to a tyranny of the majority.

Are we currently experiencing tyranny?

You don't address tyranny in the form of the inevitable codified Progressive identity law.

You are so wrong. The majority has their say in the House of Representatives. The minority has their say in the senate. Only your way eliminates the voice of one of those. The inability to move legislation without the two agreeing is the whole point. You are trying to enact true tyranny and I’m hoping this is just a debate exercise gone wrong. Doubt it though.

It could be argued either way and it isn't really material to the discussion. I guess a less contentious framing would be "The government would have the same amount of power it has today the only change would be the power is wielded by the majority instead of the minority."

You don't address tyranny in the form of the inevitable codified Progressive identity law.
Yeah I don't really understand what you were getting at. Inevitable codified progressive identity law?

That’s what he thinks! The tyranny of controlling the border! The tyranny of protecting ungrateful liberals who want this country ruined as fast as possible.

You are so wrong. The majority has their say in the House of Representatives. The minority has their say in the senate. Only your way eliminates the voice of one of those. The inability to move legislation without the two agreeing is the whole point. You are trying to enact true tyranny and I’m hoping this is just a debate exercise gone wrong. Doubt it though.
The Senate isn't even a coherent minority. It is a arbitrary minority based on state lines. If you would like to give minorities veto power I am open to suggestions on better ways of defining that minority. Should we go by race, gender, age, class?

It could be argued either way and it isn't really material to the discussion. I guess a less contentious framing would be "The government would have the same amount of power it has today the only change would be the power is wielded by the majority instead of the minority."

Yeah I don't really understand what you were getting at. Inevitable codified progressive identity law?

White people taxes, penis taxes, etc.

The Senate isn't even a coherent minority. It is a arbitrary minority based on state lines. If you would like to give minorities veto power I am open to suggestions on better ways of defining that minority. Should we go by race, gender, age, class?

Arbitrary? Absolutely false. States in existence for 100+ years have a defined culture. They continue to define it through their local laws and freedom of movement between those states strengthens state cultures. A lot of the lines were drawn because of the known culture of the area. Why do you think the state of Sequoyah never materialized? Because Roosevelt didn’t want two dem states.

Yeah that's what the constitution is there for.

We are talking about the future amendments passed by the house of reps when it is the only representative body run by a grievance industry. President AOC and the metro areas if given the chance would absolutely pass that.

I would disagree with this somewhat.

The people have their representation in the House.
The states have their representation in the Senate.

Not only does something have to have popular approval but it also has to have approval from the various states. That's the whole point of a bicameral legislature.

Reactions: iasooner1

Do you think a corporate entity can be successful via comparative economic advantage versus absolute economic advantage?

Since I know the answer, the follow up is: if the Senate (or House) can act with the power of comparative advantage systemically, why open the government to dictatorial abuse by removing that mechanism?

Which circles back to the question of what tyranny are we currently enduring?

Arbitrary? Absolutely false. States in existence for 100+ years have a defined culture. They continue to define it through their local laws and freedom of movement between those states strengthens state cultures. A lot of the lines were drawn because of the known culture of the area. Why do you think the state of Sequoyah never materialized? Because Roosevelt didn’t want two dem states.
Wow. States are different. Conceded.
Selecting 25 states as the minorities who get veto power in our system of government is arbitrary.

We are talking about the future amendments passed by the house of reps when it is the only representative body run by a grievance industry. President AOC and the metro areas if given the chance would absolutely pass that.
Probably should read the fine print in the constitution.

Since I know the answer, the follow up is: if the Senate (or House) can act with the power of comparative advantage systemically, why open the government to dictatorial abuse by removing that mechanism?
Sorry brad, but you are going to have to break this one down for me.

Which circles back to the question of what tyranny are we currently enduring?
I don't posit any tyranny that we are enduring.

Not only does something have to have popular approval but it also has to have approval from the various states. That's the whole point of a bicameral legislature.

Ask the 'former' residents of Elk Horn, NE how much they like a unicameral legislature.

Populous areas control policy to the detriment of non-populous areas. No thanks.

(Obviously I'm not disagreeing with you - just wanted to piggy back on your bicameral comment)

Reactions: Ostatedchi

That’s what I was saying, but the frame of this conversation uses majority/minority.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
Ask the 'former' residents of Elk Horn, NE how much they like a unicameral legislature.

Populous areas control policy to the detriment of non-populous areas. No thanks.

(Obviously I'm not disagreeing with you - just wanted to piggy back on your bicameral comment)
How many residents were there in Elk Horn?

Wow. States are different. Conceded.
Selecting 25 states as the minorities who get veto power in our system of government is arbitrary.

Who arbitrarily selected 25 states to be minorities with veto power?

Why does that matter? They were not allowed to persist because an outside entity no longer wanted them to.
Well it all goes back to welfare. If this was all just a minor inconvenience for 100 people having to buy new return address stickers, but it allowed a city of 100,000 to function more efficiently, then I would say the Unicameral system worked out well.

Well it all goes back to welfare. If this was all just a minor inconvenience for 100 people having to buy new return address stickers, but it allowed a city of 100,000 to function more efficiently, then I would say the Unicameral system worked out well.

Karl would be proud.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
Huh? Did you just realize there aren't 38 blue states and have a stroke?
go back and reread. Harry was insisting that the Senate and Electoral college is all that stands between us and constitutional amendments that allow president AOC to tax white skin and penises.

go back and reread. Harry was insisting that the Senate and Electoral college is all that stands between us and constitutional amendments that allow president AOC to tax white skin and penises.
*checks own screen name* Uhhhhh... I'll just mark you down for an A1 segment anterior cerebral artery occlusion.

Reactions: iasooner1
That's a strange way to spell John Stuart Mill.

I was in a hurry - busy day and I mistype a lot on my phone.

If you are actually serious about your position (because honestly, who can tell who's really serious about anything here) then I sincerely hope that it forever remains a figment of your imagination.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT