ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody hearing anything on recruits

I do not recall Hunter Steiber having that great of a career as to compared to many of the folks that left OU that worked under Cody.
His career was derailed by unfortunate injuries during his junior and senior seasons really can only go by his true freshman and sophomore years where he was a big ten champ and 2x AA finishing 6th and 3rd. He owns wins over Michael magrum,Nick Dardanes, Montell Marion, and Kellen Russell, James English, Mitch Minotti, Mitchell Port, and Mike Nevinger. Also won the pan Ams I believe

Just on pure accomplishments, the coaching staff under Cody last year would be hard to beat anywhere including Haze who was a big part as well.​

I hope the new coach turns things around. I am surprised that Mark Cody did not help the situation much. Things looked so rosy the December they beat us in the dual when Howe beat Perry. I think that was Cody's high water mark. I never was wild about Spates, but he brought them some good years after Able pretty much ran the program into the ground.
It does appear that Iowa State has some very good recruits coming in this year and West Virginia is looking up so maybe the old Big 12 will improve. I like dominating the tournament, but would prefer to see better competition dominated.

OU now currently has 2 national champs a multiple time AA and an Olympian on their staff who played a crucial role in Ohio States national title run. You can make the case the previous staff would be hard to beat based off accomplishments but exactly by how much?

Hard to say by how much... As far as the ability to coach versus just past accomplishments time will tell. Most of these guys we are referring to are still fairly young and the verdict is still out with maybe Lightner being the exception. Really interested in seeing what happens at NW with Howe.

I do not recall Hunter Steiber having that great of a career as to compared to many of the folks that left OU that worked under Cody.
He didn't, he was too inured his junior and senior years. He was seeded #1 and a semifinalist his sophomore year, I believe. I don't even think he got to go to the NCAA tournament his junior year. I remember some brouhaha about that.

I hated losing Maple, Brewer, and Howe. Especially Brewer. I think he's going to be a good one. But Hunter has a good pedigree as well. If he's healthy enough to still compete, I think he'll do good for our program.

He didn't, he was too inured his junior and senior years. He was seeded #1 and a semifinalist his sophomore year, I believe. I don't even think he got to go to the NCAA tournament his junior year. I remember some brouhaha about that.

I hated losing Maple, Brewer, and Howe. Especially Brewer. I think he's going to be a good one. But Hunter has a good pedigree as well. If he's healthy enough to still compete, I think he'll do good for our program.
He was got pinned his first match and couldn't finish the second one

Hunter finished #6 his true freshman year, including upsetting Kellen Russell in the B1G tourney.
He was 32-0 (IIRC) and #1 seed his soph year. Lost a tough match to Mitchell Port in the semis, then finished 3rd.
He then redshirted the 2013-4 season. Got injured (elbow) at Pan Ams, or one of the international tourneys.
His Junior year (2014-5)- was tOSUs peak year and they needed any points out of him. He tried to come back too early and hurt his other elbow. Wrestled B1Gs and won just enough matches to qualify for nationals, then defaulted out. At nationals; it was ugly. He had no arms and lost to kids that he would normally brutalize.
Had double TJ surgery in that offseason.
His Sr year, he could never really get his arms back and was a shell of himself. Eventually blew out his knee and that finished his ncaa career.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
Early reports are the guys really like Hunter... He seems to be very energetic and enthusiastic which is a very needed element that was missing from the assistant coaches last year.

Matthew Waddell, 182 pounder from GA, has verballed to OU. Double Juniors All American this past year, he's projected to be a 184 pounder.

When we sign Daton Fix, it'll be one of the best classes in the nation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT