ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Dieringer

Feb 19, 2012
Just got back from the match. The place was packed and it was a great atmosphere. I wanted to comment on Alex, as the PSU team was getting their trophy Alex stayed out and shook hands with fans and took pictures with kids and whom ever else asked. What a great kid to have on your team. I just said good luck at nationals as I walked by and said thank you very much. Very classy of him to stay out so long.

Despite what other fan bases say about PSU fans being newbies (which is total BS) they do know greatness when they see it. I for one will be hoping he does well except when facing a PSU guy. Safe travels home Pokes.

Just got back from the match. The place was packed and it was a great atmosphere. I wanted to comment on Alex, as the PSU team was getting their trophy Alex stayed out and shook hands with fans and took pictures with kids and whom ever else asked. What a great kid to have on your team. I just said good luck at nationals as I walked by and said thank you very much. Very classy of him to stay out so long.

Despite what other fan bases say about PSU fans being newbies (which is total BS) they do know greatness when they see it. I for one will be hoping he does well except when facing a PSU guy. Safe travels home Pokes.
He's such a badass. Classy but remorseless competitor - like a bigger Logan Stieber

Reactions: oberebo
Penn State guy living in Georgia here. Never much of a wrestler. Couldn't beat Ronnie Opp to win a spot in the lineup in junior high; last view as a wrestler was a panoramic look at the Rec Hall ceiling in my intramural quarterfinal match in 1975. Big fan, though, and my favorite two days of the year are Jan. 1-2, when I attend the Southern Scuffle. On the second day of the tournament, I bumped into Alex Dieringer at a water fountain. Wearing my Penn State Wrestling sweatshirt, I pulled out my program and asked if he'd mind signing it, "even for one of the bad guys." He couldn't have been more gracious. Asked where I was from and how long it took me to get there. Conversation didn't last long, but he's really likable. Thanked him, told him how much I enjoyed watching him wrestle and wished him good luck. What a nice guy.

At the afternoon break, I walked downtown to Panera for supper. Got in line directly behind Chandler Rogers, who was talking with an Oklahoma State fan sitting nearby. Walked by him and said hello while we were waiting for our food and chatted briefly. Again...what a nice guy.

Yesterday was really strange. Felt terrible for your wrestlers and coaches under the circumstances of the weekend. I found myself not even caring a whole lot about the competition; just hoping your guys, especially the Rogers brothers, were handling everything all right. Thought Jordan's Twitter post showed a lot of maturity.

I read your board almost every day. Never posted here before, probably won't again, but when I read some of the posts of the past couple days, I didn't know what I wanted to say...but I wanted to say something. Hope your wrestling community can find peace. Best wishes to all of you going forward. Good luck at Nationals.

SR/BHF

Last edited:
Penn State guy living in Georgia here. Never much of a wrestler. Couldn't beat Ronnie Opp to win a spot in the lineup in junior high; last view as a wrestler was a panoramic look at the Rec Hall ceiling in my intramural quarterfinal match in 1975. Big fan, though, and my favorite two days of the year are Jan. 1-2, when I attend the Southern Scuffle. On the second day of the tournament, I bumped into Alex Dieringer at a water fountain. Wearing my Penn State Wrestling sweatshirt, I pulled out my program and asked if he'd mind signing it, "even for one of the bad guys." He couldn't have been more gracious. Asked where I was from and how long it took me to get there. Conversation didn't last long, but he's really likable. Thanked him, told him how much I enjoyed watching him wrestle and wished him good luck. What a nice guy.

At the afternoon break, I walked downtown to Panera for supper. Got in line directly behind Chandler Rogers, who was talking with an Oklahoma State fan sitting nearby. Walked by him and said hello while we were waiting for our food and chatted briefly. Again...what a nice guy.

Yesterday was really strange. Felt terrible for your wrestlers and coaches under the circumstances of the weekend. I found myself not even caring a whole lot about the competition; just hoping your guys, especially the Rogers brothers, were handling everything all right. Thought Jordan's Twitter post showed a lot of maturity.

I read your board almost every day. Never posted here before, probably won't again, but when I read some of the posts of the past couple days, I didn't know what I wanted to say...but I wanted to say something. Hope your wrestling community can find peace. Best wishes to all of you going forward. Good luck at Nationals.

SR/BHF
Thanks for your kind words. The Rogers' brothers have a warm place in all of our hearts for their faith, kindness and humility and I believe acorns did not fall far from the tree and that Bill and his wife did great parenting in molding them.

We all know PSU fans are well schooled in wrestling lore. I live in Jersey and Lehigh is much the same way when I go to their matches. Rec Hall is a special place with big attendance and smart fans. Deserving of the success. we appreciate the condolences. Echoes our feelings regarding the outcome. It was just hard to really care who won or lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT