ADVERTISEMENT

"Affordable" care act.

shortbus

Heisman Winner
May 29, 2001
Edmond, OK
www.rankallstars.com
My current premium about 550 a month for me and 2 kids. The deductible is 1000 dollars.

I meet the deductible every year.

I have high blood pressure, and sleep apnea.

30 dollar co pays. Spend about 150 a month on medication.

The cheapest policy on the exchange is 291 per month with a 12,700 dollar deductible.

Are you F'n kidding me?

What's the point of having insurance if you have a 12,700 dollar deductible?

I might as well pay out of pocket.

I buy insurance so I don't have to F'n pay 12,700 out of pocket.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by shortbus:
My current premium about 550 a month for me and 2 kids. The deductible is 1000 dollars.

I meet the deductible every year.

I have high blood pressure, and sleep apnea.

30 dollar co pays. Spend about 150 a month on medication.

The cheapest policy on the exchange is 291 per month with a 12,700 dollar deductible.

Are you F'n kidding me?

What's the point of having insurance if you have a 12,700 dollar deductible?

I might as well pay out of pocket.

I buy insurance so I don't have to F'n pay 12,700 out of pocket.
So don't buy the cheapest plan? Do you complain when your Hyundai Accent doesn't have leather seats and V6?

So let's assume there are people out there that can only afford 275 a month for premiums so that means they pay 3200 out of pocket on premiums an would have spend over 12,000 on medical expenses before they ever get any benefits.

If somebody like that had 15,000 to spend they would buy a piece of crap Obamacare plan

You're going to pay on the front end or the back end. No difference from before. Only difference

Only difference is they cannot kick you off and they have to accept you. They can, however, make it unaffordable. So, they're not going to kick you off but they're going to kick you off.

Originally posted by Headhunter:
So let's assume there are people out there that can only afford 275 a month for premiums so that means they pay 3200 out of pocket on premiums an would have spend over 12,000 on medical expenses before they ever get any benefits.

If somebody like that had 15,000 to spend they would buy a piece of crap Obamacare plan
Before the ACA that person would go without insurance and you and I would be paying for his/her emergency room visits.

What do you think the premium would be for full coverage of someone one with high blood pressure and sleep apnea pre-ACA?

I wouldn't but the cheapest plan.

The same coverage I have now...the best I can do is about 800 a month with a 2,000 dollar deductible.

I am about to lose my coverage as of Jan 1st as I left my employer and am starting my own business.

So I'll have a serious problem finding affordable coverage. I'll have made about 97,000 this year so I'm pretty screwed going forward from scratch and basically having used up any credit I had, and any reserve, long ago, for many personal reasons which are irrelevant.

My point was that there are a whole lot of people that this hurts more than helps.

Imagine being a healthy 27 year old male who has never had a medical need. Sees the doctor once a year for a check up.

Poor bastard is gonna have to spend a car payment for insurance he doesn't need. But if he DOES need it, he's gonna have to pay out of pocket up to 13 grand!

Why? So as was admitted above, so others can sponge off it.

Let the market dictate and it sorts itself out. Government intervention caused the problem. More government intervention made it worse.

Originally posted by 07pilt:

Before the ACA that person would go without insurance and you and I would be paying for his/her emergency room visits.

What do you think the premium would be for full coverage of someone one with high blood pressure and sleep apnea pre-ACA?
How much is the fine for not getting the insurance and just going to the ER and not paying the hospital bill?

Originally posted by Bitter Creek:

How much is the fine for not getting the insurance and just going to the ER and not paying the hospital bill?
The fine or penalty for not getting insurance is $325 per person. Children under 18 $162.50. Maximum penalty an uninsured family will have to pay is $975.

Just a hunch, but I bet they still go to the emergency room and tell them they don't have insurance. No facts to back that up, just a hunch.

When the architect of this joke of a bill admits on tape that it was a lie twice to get it passed you know it's bad. This is the most corrupt administration ever. His China negotiations went well, lol. It's such a freaking joke at this point you have to laugh.

I wouldn't but the cheapest plan.

The same coverage I have now...the best I can do is about 800 a month with a 2,000 dollar deductible.

I am about to lose my coverage as of Jan 1st as I left my employer and am starting my own business.
How much was your employer contributing to your month premiums?

My point was that there are a whole lot of people that this hurts more than helps.

Imagine being a healthy 27 year old male who has never had a medical need. Sees the doctor once a year for a check up.

Poor bastard is gonna have to spend a car payment for insurance he doesn't need. But if he DOES need it, he's gonna have to pay out of pocket up to 13 grand!

A 27 year old can get coverage with a max out of pocket of $6000 for considerably less than $200 a month. Even less than that if he/she isn't a high earner and is subsidized. For high earners $160 a month is a pretty good bargain to know that a random accident or condition isn't going to bankrupt you.

Let the market dictate and it sorts itself out. Government intervention caused the problem. More government intervention made it worse.
If the market dictated you would not be able to get insurance that covers your preexisting conditions and likely would not be able to start your own business. Does that sound like a great scenario? Everyone know that the health system and insurance sucks but how exactly are things worse since the ACA passed?

If the government got out of the way, it is very possible insurance wouldn't be needed at all.

Its amazing how elected officials who are owned by healthcare/insurance/pharma companies created a system by admittedly lieing to Americans that puts the patient first.

What seems to be a commonly accepted idea that an insurance company cannot exclude coverage for preexisting conditions is false.

Healthcare.gov tells me that I am looking at paying about $300 more per month in 2015 than we did in 2014. That'll bring the monthly cost to over $1,400 per month for a family of four. That's more than double the cost than before the Affordable Health Care Act went into effect. And we have "bronze" level coverage.

And no, I really don't need help shopping for insurance. I just need directions to the nearest riot. Do I need to bring a pitchfork or a torch? Or both?

This post was edited on 11/13 1:13 PM by wyomingosualum

Originally posted by wyomingosualum:

What seems to be a commonly accepted idea that an insurance company cannot exclude coverage for preexisting conditions is false.

Healthcare.gov tells me that I am looking at paying about $300 more per month in 2015 than we did in 2014. That'll bring the monthly cost to over $1,400 per month for a family of four. That's more than double the cost than before the Affordable Health Care Act went into effect. And we have "bronze" level coverage.

And no, I really don't need help shopping for insurance. I just need directions to the nearest riot. Do I need to bring a pitchfork or a torch? Or both?

That will be in Ferguson, Missouri, when the Grand Jury renders its decision.

No. I wouldn't and I wouldn't expect them to.

However, if the government were out of the way I'd still likely have the same insurance I had before I had those preexisting conditions.
No they would drop you or raise your rates as soon as they could.

Your previous plan didn't cover your wife's pre exisiting condition.

All qualifying plans cover pre-existing conditions. If you are buying a nonqualifying plan then you do indeed need help shopping for insurance.

All qualifying plans cover pre-existing conditions. If you are buying a nonqualifying plan then you do indeed need help shopping for insurance.
Does this sound affordable to you Pilt? $16,800/year in premiums, 40% of costs up to a maximum $12,700 family out-of-pocket per year?

Originally posted by racernhra:
Does this sound affordable to you Pilt? $16,800/year in premiums, 40% of costs up to a maximum $12,700 family out-of-pocket per year?
No. Do you smoke or have a 10 person family?

No on both accounts. The key question you forgot to ask was how much money I make.

I am just assuming you make a million and are ineligible for subsidies.

a family of four with two 55 year old smokers in Texas can get a better deal than you are getting.

Can you direct me to a company that sells a nonqualifying plan? Is there such a plan being sold in this country at this point?

Are you saying that nonqualifying plans are being advertised on healthcare.gov? Because that's exactly where I got that price....

Can you direct me to a company that sells a nonqualifying plan? Is there such a plan being sold in this country at this point?

Are you saying that nonqualifying plans are being advertised on healthcare.gov? Because that's exactly where I got that price....
Come on man. I remember distinctly last year you were complaining about your plan not covering your wife's pre-existing condition, and it was because you didn't buy it off an exchange. If a plan on the exchange is $300 more than your 2014 plan it is because it cover's pre-existing conditions. Apple Oranges.

I applied for a qualified plan. They excluded certain coverage for my wife. We didn't keep that plan. I had to buy a different plan which offered coverage we wanted. It cost more, but it complies with every federal mandate. It currently costs about $1,100 per month.

Now I just checked healthcare,gov and the cheapest similar plan offered there on the EXCHANGE is over $1,400 per month.

And they don't ask any questions about medical history. You just enter zip code and ages and they tell you how hard you're going to get phucked.

Received our renewal for next year and we get a 3% increase. Not too bad. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield. Our rep told us the 3% is pretty good and that most small businesses will see a 12 to 31% increase this year. We have a grandfathered plan that they are extending to us for another year. May not have that option in the future though. Anyway, that's what we get this year.

Originally posted by long-duc-dong:
Received our renewal for next year and we get a 3% increase. Not too bad. We have Blue Cross Blue Shield. Our rep told us the 3% is pretty good and that most small businesses will see a 12 to 31% increase this year. We have a grandfathered plan that they are extending to us for another year. May not have that option in the future though. Anyway, that's what we get this year.
Sounds exactly like my situation except our rates increased by 20%. We also got to keep our current plan for another year. I hope that with a new congress we will be able to keep our existing plan beyond this year and not be forced into the exchange.

Originally posted by CBradSmith:
most small businesses will see a 12 to 31% increase this year.
That is enormous.
But in line with what they have increased every year for the past 10+ years. I've been in charge of benefits for companies for that same time period and we've always seen double digit % rate increases. Never fails.

My medical increases

2013 > 2012 by 3.30%
2014 > 2013 by 22.42%
2015 > 2014 by 7.14%

2015 > 2012 by 35.49%

My employer eats a huge chunk of our costs but the above is strictly my costs for family medical

FYI - No change in plans and it is the highest benefit plan we have.

Just got a letter from the insurance company today. Great news! If I like my plan, I get to keep it. But the price goes up to $1700 per month.

Now THAT'S change you can believe in!

That is enormous.
Surely this cost won't impact the prices of the goods and services provided by these small companies or their ability to keep employees on staff.

Originally posted by Bitter Creek:

That is enormous.
Surely this cost won't impact the prices of the goods and services provided by these small companies or their ability to keep employees on staff.
Better not! Freakin' greedy business owners who don't create jobs with a God complex!!

Better not! Freakin' greedy business owners who don't create jobs with a God complex!!
Be careful. If you say mean things about them they will stop creating jobs.

I am one and can say that now since I've seen the error in my ways. I performed an exorcism on myself and cast out my evil God complex this past Sunday evening. Yesterday, I signed a contract to automate one of our processes thereby eliminating 3 full time positions. Guess if I can't be a job creator I can't be a job eliminator either!!

I stressed over this for years and you've helped me to see the light Pilt. My bottom line thanks you by $44,000 per year!!

I am one and can say that now since I've seen the error in my ways. I performed an exorcism on myself and cast out my evil God complex this past Sunday evening. Yesterday, I signed a contract to automate one of our processes thereby eliminating 3 full time positions. Guess if I can't be a job creator I can't be a job eliminator either!!

I stressed over this for years and you've helped me to see the light Pilt. My bottom line thanks you by $44,000 per year!!
Congrats. It's pretty easy to see the light when it is shining directly on a pile of money.

This post was edited on 11/18 3:03 PM by 07pilt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT