ADVERTISEMENT

ADP Jobs Report Just 132K Jobs

Its funny how the market is inverted and just goes to show the power of the Fed. When you get bad news (worse hiring numbers) the market goes up, because that gives evidence to the Fed to start reining in their rate hikes. When you get good economic news, the market goes down because it all but ensures that the Fed will keep hiking.

Well, when you factor in the hiring of illegal immigrants it probably is closer to 300.000.
But that's Ok, they don't pay taxes, receive government benefits, have numerous children in our hospitals free of charge, overwhelm our emergency rooms for routine healthcare, receive free housing, free food, free money and all have get out of jail free cards when they commit crimes. Life is good if you are an illegal.

Pitiful take
Maybe in your opinion but to those that are watching this administration's actions, we see nothing but negatives for the economy. Biden and the Democrats have spent almost 5 trillion dollars in additional BS programs in a time of historic inflation. Then they wonder why inflation is out of control.

Maybe in your opinion but to those that are watching this administration's actions, we see nothing but negatives for the economy. Biden and the Democrats have spent almost 5 trillion dollars in additional BS programs in a time of historic inflation. Then they wonder why inflation is out of control.
Yes yes yes - the ole "the Marxists are ruining the economy on purpose" garbage again... Please don't stop on my account.

What's your take on the the uptick in layoffs and the unemployment rate?
A modest rise in the unemployment rate is an expected side effect of a frothy job market, especially with unemployment rates this low. Having had several conversations with founders about layoffs, I think it is a good time to look at what you have vs. what you need to sustain your business until things get to a more predictable state.

How was the labor participation rate this period? How do you think that showed up in the overall numbers?

Reactions: Marocain Poke
A modest rise in the unemployment rate is an expected side effect of a frothy job market, especially with unemployment rates this low. Having had several conversations with founders about layoffs, I think it is a good time to look at what you have vs. what you need to sustain your business until things get to a more predictable state.

How was the labor participation rate this period? How do you think that showed up in the overall numbers?
Not sure, but last I checked it was about 62%

The unemployment uptick was .2 - the labor participation rate increased .3. Not bad given the macro conditions.
By my estimation and based on what I'm hearing from my high tech friends regarding enhanced productivity monitoring and what not, we will not be in for a soft landing. Still just anecdotal.

By my estimation and based on what I'm hearing from my high tech friends regarding enhanced productivity monitoring and what not, we will not be in for a soft landing. Still just anecdotal.
I have no doubt there is a reckoning coming at several large tech firms. Meta is in a death spiral IMO. I haven't been shy in my criticism of TWTR. Even my beloved Google Cloud is due for a round of house cleaning - largely on the sales front where they have dramatically over hired IMO. I will take a controlled landing, soft is a bit of a pipe dream.

I have no doubt there is a reckoning coming at several large tech firms. Meta is in a death spiral IMO. I haven't been shy in my criticism of TWTR. Even my beloved Google Cloud is due for a round of house cleaning - largely on the sales front where they have dramatically over hired IMO. I will take a controlled landing, soft is a bit of a pipe dream.
I figure by Q1 '23, hold on to your hats.

I figure by Q1 '23, hold on to your hats.
I can tell you that any changes at Google likely happen sooner rather than later. The annual review cycle (Perf) starts in a couple of weeks and managers will likely cull the herd right after that initiates. There are some perverse incentives to do so including locking in discretionary compensation awards (via Restricted Stock Units) that they will want to use to reward high performers. These won't be formal layoffs, these will be folks who are given the heads-up that they are getting an NI (lowest rating) and headed for a PIP. Firing someone at Google takes forever - I exited someone and it took 14 months to finally result in termination. I never was directly involved in any layoffs at Google, but the few that occurred during my tenure were painful and took months to execute. I would expect Meta to be similar.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT