ADVERTISEMENT

About Twitter

Ponca Dan

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2003
I suppose it’s because I’ve never participated on Twitter that I don’t understand what the fuss is all about.

I admit it tickles me to see Elon Musk throw everything into turmoil, but that’s because I’m a natural born contrarian that loves to watch as smug people who think they control things get slapped around a little bit, get their carefully planned world thrown off it’s axis as it dawns on them maybe they aren’t the godlike creatures they had convinced themselves they had morphed into.

I imagine even @davidallen would admit Twitter has engaged in serious censorship of Republican/conservative/right wing opinions. Still, the libertarian in me struggles with right-wing demands that the government “do something” to rein in this horrible censorship; because Twitter, as I understand it, is privately owned, is not an official government entity, is private property. And being a true libertarian I don’t want government stepping in to control private enterprises, not even ones that are engaged in practices I find repugnant.

And so I ask my right-leaning friends, have you really been harmed by Twitter’s censorship? Is there anything happening in the world that you don’t know about? Aren’t there countless other avenues from which you have learned about events and opinions? I can’t think of anything that Twitter has been able to suppress, no matter how hard it has tried. It might even be argued that the scandals Twitter creates by trying to bury news and opinions backfires significantly, making seemingly minor issues blow up into major news.

Like I said, I have never “done Twitter.” So in all likelihood I’m missing the greater point. But I must say as much fun as it is to watch left-wing loonies lose their composure at a potential threat to one of their favorite entities, it seems to me to be a multi-billion dollar tempest in a teapot.

Maybe someone can straighten me out.

I suppose it’s because I’ve never participated on Twitter that I don’t understand what the fuss is all about.

I admit it tickles me to see Elon Musk throw everything into turmoil, but that’s because I’m a natural born contrarian that loves to watch as smug people who think they control things get slapped around a little bit, get their carefully planned world thrown off it’s axis as it dawns on them maybe they aren’t the godlike creatures they had convinced themselves they had morphed into.

I imagine even @davidallen would admit Twitter has engaged in serious censorship of Republican/conservative/right wing opinions. Still, the libertarian in me struggles with right-wing demands that the government “do something” to rein in this horrible censorship; because Twitter, as I understand it, is privately owned, is not an official government entity, is private property. And being a true libertarian I don’t want government stepping in to control private enterprises, not even ones that are engaged in practices I find repugnant.

And so I ask my right-leaning friends, have you really been harmed by Twitter’s censorship? Is there anything happening in the world that you don’t know about? Aren’t there countless other avenues from which you have learned about events and opinions? I can’t think of anything that Twitter has been able to suppress, no matter how hard it has tried. It might even be argued that the scandals Twitter creates by trying to bury news and opinions backfires significantly, making seemingly minor issues blow up into major news.

Like I said, I have never “done Twitter.” So in all likelihood I’m missing the greater point. But I must say as much fun as it is to watch left-wing loonies lose their composure at a potential threat to one of their favorite entities, it seems to me to be a multi-billion dollar tempest in a teapot.

The whole country has been harmed by Twitter banning conservative speech. We have that barely functioning empty suit and the even worse Vice President in the White House because of Twitter's and other social media platform's censorship.

If Twitter did nothing wrong with its censorship, and if they believe what they say about the speech that was censored was so dangerous, they would sell to Elon in a heartbeat.

If Twitter did nothing wrong with its censorship, and if they believe what they say about the speech that was censored was so dangerous, they would sell to Elon in a heartbeat.
I’m not following. I gather the people that run Twitter are sincere in their belief they are protecting the country from what they think is disinformation by not allowing it to appear on the site they own. So what incentive would they have to sell it to someone that would permit this dangerous (in their minds, not mine) information to appear on the site they love?

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
The whole country has been harmed by Twitter banning conservative speech. We have that barely functioning empty suit and the even worse Vice President in the White House because of Twitter's and other social media platform's censorship.

I think you may be giving Twitter and the others too much credit. If Elon Musk is successful in his purchase and opens up free speech (which I would applaud, by the way) I would be surprised if anything changed on the political/electoral front.

I’m not following. I gather the people that run Twitter are sincere in their belief they are protecting the country from what they think is disinformation by not allowing it to appear on the site they own. So what incentive would they have to sell it to someone that would permit this dangerous (in their minds, not mine) information to appear on the site they love?

Strange with all the algorithms social media platforms have they all missed this guy. Almost like their algorithms are intentional written to target conservative.

I think you may be giving Twitter and the others too much credit. If Elon Musk is successful in his purchase and opens up free speech (which I would applaud, by the way) I would be surprised if anything changed on the political/electoral front.

Banning national newspaper stories wouldn't take place.

• Haha
Reactions: davidallen

How would you feel if someone tackled you and prevented you from speaking every time you tried to give your opinion?

One...the people of Twitter are not sincere and know full well that they were attempting to manipulate an election in one party's favor. This is not illegal, but unethical to the extreme, especially for a web site that is trying to promote speech. They also know that the information they were preventing was not misinformation but got into the repressing of valid scientific views that endangered the entire world. That handles the first part, and I could go on.

If they believed that the actions, they took were the best for it's clients and for their investors then doubling your money on a sale, is the payoff for their righteous cause. If they were correct in censoring and silencing scientists, politicians, and experts in the middle of an election and a pandemic, then they should feel good about taking the huge return on their investment.

• Haha
Lest anyone thinks I'm defending Twitter's actions please allow me to put that to rest. I deplore what Twitter does. My argument is Twitter belongs to the people that own Twitter, not those who wish to access it. As such if they want to forbid conservative or libertaian speech on their property I don't think the government should compel them to do otherwise. In a free society asshats get to behave like asshats

Last edited:
  • Haha
Twitter and platforms like it have become the defacto public square. Therefore they have to adhere to the same laws and regulations as places like the Boston commons where virtually no speech is banned.

The point of free speech is no one gets to decide what is the truth and what is disinformation. That is left up to the individual.

It is very sad that the lawmakers in this country have lost their way when it comes to the bill of rights.....among other things

Twitter and platforms like it have become the defacto public square. Therefore they have to adhere to the same laws and regulations as places like the Boston commons where virtually no speech is banned.

The point of free speech is no one gets to decide what is the truth and what is disinformation. That is left up to the individual.

It is very sad that the lawmakers in this country have lost their way when it comes to the bill of rights.....among other things
I undertsand that argument, but do not find it compelling. Public squares are owned by the public. Twitter is not. Twitter does not say a conservative can't speak his mind. He just can't speak it on their "property."

Last edited:
You could say that Twitter has a monopoly in this area and certainly they are given certain protections from the government.

This situation is very similar to one media company owning all the newspapers and radio/TV stations in an area which is....or used to be against the law

Turmoil? What turmoil?
By all appearances it would seem Mr. Musk has put a little sand in the well-greased left-wing censorship machine that is Twitter. I doubt the board would consider poison pills unless there was a turmoiled sense of urgency.

In my living room or in the town square? If you are an invited guest and can't follow some basic rules, I reserve the right to tackle you in my living room.
I hear you and Dan, but I’m not sure Twitter is either.

By all appearances it would seem Mr. Musk has put a little sand in the well-greased left-wing censorship machine that is Twitter. I doubt the board would consider poison pills unless there was a turmoiled sense of urgency.
If you are basing that on the discussion in this forum you'd do well to look elsewhere. If you are basing that on the handwringing of a half dozen fringe types, again, you'd do well to widen the aperture a bit. This is a financial story masquerading as a free speech campaign.

• Haha
Very much a laissez-faire guy. What does my deploring Twitter’s practice of censorship lead you to think otherwise?
Can a private party censor another private party? If so, is that contrary to law? That seems like a basic failing in your reasoning.

Ah, so you think the folks about to take a haircut financially are that important? I don't.

You seem to think Twitter prefers advancing a political agenda over turning a reasonable profit.
Let there be no doubt. I don’t “seem” to think any such thing. I “very much think”those that run Twitter have a sincere impetus to advance a political agenda. Which they should be free to do. I think they have been quite happy with the profit their agenda has produced, and are concerned the profit will come from an agenda they abhor should Musk assume control. That seems clearly evident to me. I’m surprised (well, not really surprised) you see it differently.

• Haha
Let there be no doubt. I don’t “seem” to think any such thing. I “very much think”those that run Twitter have a sincere impetus to advance a political agenda. Which they should be free to do. I think they have been quite happy with the profit their agenda has produced, and are concerned the profit will come from an agenda they abhor should Musk assume control. That seems clearly evident to me. I’m surprised (well, not really surprised) you see it differently.
Again, your premise is incorrect. Further, your assertion of "happy with the profit" belies a misunderstanding of the fundamentals.

• Haha
If you are basing that on the discussion in this forum you'd do well to look elsewhere. If you are basing that on the handwringing of a half dozen fringe types, again, you'd do well to widen the aperture a bit. This is a financial story masquerading as a free speech campaign.
Sure it is. Unnamed very serious people have told you so.

You are on your own Danny. Work it slowly, maybe diagram the sentence.
That’s the problem with engaging with you, David. You never say anything substantial, only suggest you know things no one else knows, but never have the courage to say what it is and subject your “knowledge”to analysis or the same kind of ridicule you so willingly dish out.

Loved twitter before they banned me- then they said I could Come Back and I said
🖕

Got feedback from
Many just like this board,
Many people posted good stuff from people and entities not shown by entertainment propagandist cable so called news but there were so many on there to follow-
Addictive.

Such a shame they are commie - I loved it. Now I'm on truth, telegram and Gab -
They don't seem to censor and many good people to follow on there. Gab and Truth closest thing to twitter I've found-
But especially when trump was on Twitter it was awesome

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT