ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA Wrestling Championships Thread

In 7 matches tonight we have a total of 2 takedowns. No wonder it is a horrible night. Again, our team stopped developing and here we sit with a probable bad finish to the season. Our future does not look as good as it looked a month ago.
This is how bad tonight is in 7 matches we have 0 takedowns. Plott had lots of takedowns but needed 1 more takedown to get a tech with over a minute to go and couldn't get it. He looked like he ran out of gas but he did get a major. Daton wrestled poorly also. Bad night. We had 3 wrestlers go 0-2 and are out of the tournament.

Reactions: bwel9339
Straight up trash night!

Spratley good, Plott good!

Fix, on par with the rest which was absolute trash. We are nothing that we were and nothing that we claim to be.

Tomorrow we lose Doucet, Travis and maybe Izzak and Williams.

2 AAs, a round of 12 guy with another sub 15 finish.

Straight up trash night!

Fix, on par with the rest which was absolute trash. We are nothing that we were and nothing that we claim to be.

If tonight is all they have your about right, if fix doesn’t pick up he could fall to 3 through 5.

I’ve been shitting on this team enough tonight so I’ll say something encouraging and positive. I think Spratley beats Ayala and could possibly make the finals. No bs.
That’s a tough match hope you’re right… the back door will be just as hard

Straight up trash night!

wow it’s hard to even make a comment. Unbelievable

This is how bad tonight is in 7 matches we have 0 takedowns. Plott had lots of takedowns but needed 1 more takedown to get a tech with over a minute to go and couldn't get it. He looked like he ran out of gas but he did get a major. Daton wrestled poorly also. Bad night. We had 3 wrestlers go 0-2 and are out of the tournament.
One more thing I believe we have not gotten 1 win over an opponent that was rated above us. Early in the year I was enjoying us upsetting wrestlers and stressing the need for upsets. Zero upsets has killed us in this NCAA Tournament.

125 - Spratley wrestled very well today - good job Freshman.
133 - Fix did what he needed to do. Bouzakis is very dangerous.
141 - Jamison was a very big disappointment, hasn't looked sharp the last month.
149 - Williams wrestled incredibly well with an injury - proud of him.
157 - Travis wrestled his heart out, was just way overmatched, proud of him.
165 - Amine stalled for literally 7 minutes, should've been hit multiple times. When the refs let a wrestler do that, this result is what happens sometimes.
174 - Thompson hasn't had any offence all year long - no surprise here really.
184 - Plott is the epitome of what a wrestler should be like - very proud of him.
197 - Surber - too many injuries this year to compete at this tournament.
Hwt - Doucet isn't a top heavyweight. No surprise here.

Overall - Other than Jamison, really about what I expected. When you have so many lower ranked guys, you lose a lot on the first day. We have 4 guys seeded in the top 8 and two are ranked low top 8 - 3 of them won twice and the other went 1-1 losing to the 10th seeded guy that put on a stalling clinic and wasn't penalized for it. OSU has a chance to put up a lot of points on Friday. I think the guys left can win a lot of matches. I wasn't expecting Surber or Thompson to do anything anyway. I'm predicting 4 All Americans total with 2 finalists and hopefully a top 5 finish. If Williams was healthy he could AA too. This team is not overly talented and very young - that would be a great finish if they could do that. Higher finishes on the horizon.

I’ve been shitting on this team enough tonight so I’ll say something encouraging and positive. I think Spratley beats Ayala and could possibly make the finals. No bs.
That would be great but Spratley couldn't get a TD against Ayala at home and I don't see him getting one in KC.
Watching other wrestlers move their feet and force scrambles on TD attempts makes me sad at how pathetic we are. We are also undersized and weak at many weights.

I see the fighting John Smith showed up again this postseason. Pride goeth before the fall. John’s pride won’t allow him to realize that he and his style of coaching is out of date.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

Cue the somber quiet rage postseason interview saying how we are going to have to take a hard look at things and we will be better next year.

Last edited:
We've typically been good in the lower weights in the past years...Aside from AJ Ferrari anomaly, have we REALLY had a 197 and HWT being dominate in the last 10 years?

Teams can't compete for titles without a Heavyweight. Would be nice for Smith to say screw it and portal in all the ppl he can and find the NIL to support it.

We're soft and IDK why we're so scared to get after it. We've been very good at times when we're the aggressor and we've got about 4 guys who will get after it and be the aggressor consistently(Sprat, Williams, Plott, and Surber)....The rest have been disappointing.

Look forward to some guys climbing back up and make some noise tomorrow.

PSU is leaps and bounds ahead but it's crazy how many individuals are knocking guys out.

DAY 2:

125 Spratley (6) vs Ayala (3) - This is a really tough matchup for Spratley. Ayala looks really big and long to me and very skilled. Wrestling the morning after the 2nd weigh in should help Spratley some though since he's not big for the weight. He'll have to wrestle his very best.

133 Fix (1) vs Frost (8). Fix should win, but Frost is very dangerous.

149 Williams (20) vs Zargo (19). If Williams is healthy enough this is certainly winnable.

157 Travis (16) vs Zerban (18). I like our chances here.

165 Izzak (7) vs Heller (25). Izzak should win if he's still motivated after losing to Amine.

184 Plott (3) vs Truax (6). Plott will need to wrestle extremely well here. Truax is a 3 time all american placing 4,4,4. This is a bad draw.

Hwt Doucet (12) vs Hill (27) If Doucet sticks to his usual game plan he should win this.

Overall - Going 6-1 in this session would be a good session. I don't like the matchups that Spratley and Plott have.

The AJ anomaly and the Kerklivet recruiting fiasco do a lot to explain this right? Had AJ kept his head on straight, we'd have had a dominant 197 for several years. Who knows what Kerk would have been at OSU, but probably better than what we've had.
No probably about it. Kerk a difference maker which we knew when we recruited him. Massive upgrade.

No probably about it. Kerk a difference maker which we knew when we recruited him. Massive upgrade.
What we have to realize is that even if we land some of these big recruits do we keep them? With NIL and the portal that will be tough for 4 years

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT