ADVERTISEMENT

2024 NCAA Wrestling Championships Thread

LOL next year they will be just as dominant they are absolutely loaded plus Davis, Haines, Messenbrink, Kasak (who took 3rd and wasn't even supposed to be starting LOL), Van Ness back from injury, Barroclough showed he has improved a lot even wrestling up a weight at 174 etc etc and I am sure that Bartlett will be back to try and win a title and still think Starocci will come back to be the first ever 5 time champ since his ego is so big. Next year like every other year is just a battle for 2nd place/getting a team trophy

"... and still think Starocci will come back to be the first ever 5 time champ since his ego is so big. "
I'm not sure how much "ego" has to do with it, seems to me it's more about desire. Some people have big egos to fuel their desires while others are polar opposites, e.g. Barry Sanders. That was someone that we would have loved seeing with a little ego. Regardless, I know nothing about Starocci's ego/desires but the desire to be the first person to do something, say walk on the moon, is probably driven by many things, including ego, which doesn't have to be a bad thing.

That being said, I hope he goes out on top this year to chase his olympic dreams.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
LOL next year they will be just as dominant they are absolutely loaded plus Davis, Haines, Messenbrink, Kasak (who took 3rd and wasn't even supposed to be starting LOL), Van Ness back from injury, Barroclough showed he has improved a lot even wrestling up a weight at 174 etc etc and I am sure that Bartlett will be back to try and win a title and still think Starocci will come back to be the first ever 5 time champ since his ego is so big. Next year like every other year is just a battle for 2nd place/getting a team trophy
Agree it’s not going to be close, it’s mind boggling how deep they are at the middleweights. There’s so many you forgot Facundo, who is NCAA Champ caliber. lol If all those seniors decided not to come back, they def would have a bit of a hole at the heavyweights but they do have Mirasola bros(more askren kids), Barr, and you’d think if those guys do plan on being done Cael will fill the holes with the portal. Also Carter mentioned in an interview that being the first 5 time champ doesn’t really do much for him motivation wise, because he knows the other guys didn’t have the chance to win 5.

If you’re Cael Sanderson and you’re a 4x undefeated NCAA champ, won an Olympic gold and as a coach 11 of 13 team titles and you’re still motivated to win and dominate everyone then there is something deeper inside you character wise. It takes one to know one and he knows exactly who to go after and what he’s looking for.

I just watched Mendez come up with the big move to win the National Championship and we don't do that anymore. Vito not only seemed way quicker than Daton but seemed stronger also. Daton went for a high crotch, got stopped and then knocked back for the takedown. Daton never has made the big move at nationals. I feel sad for Daton but too many matches he doesn't wrestle. I hope Dustin makes the move but I don't have confidence because it has been so long since anything has gone real good for us.
"Seemed" way quicker? Vito IS WAY QUICKER. RBY is quicker then Daton and Vito made RBY look slow last year. I wanted Daton to win so bad but with Vito's length and speed I knew it was gonna be tough. Hopefully both down at 57kg will level the playing field a little but I was in FTW in 21' and Daton struggled to get to his legs there as well but I do think he ended up getting 1 TD.

"Seemed" way quicker? Vito IS WAY QUICKER. RBY is quicker then Daton and Vito made RBY look slow last year. I wanted Daton to win so bad but with Vito's length and speed I knew it was gonna be tough. Hopefully both down at 57kg will level the playing field a little but I was in FTW in 21' and Daton struggled to get to his legs there as well but I do think he ended up getting 1 TD.
Even Peak Daton is going to have his hands full at the trials. Just look at who’s competing for a spot at 57kg. Lee, Suranio, Vito, Gross, Gillman. He is going to need to wrestle out of his mind.

PSU will dominate next year. No need even talking about it. The best staff & RTC and to many things in place.

People can say what they want about Daton, but still an amazing career. He struggled to get to legs in the quarters and semis but I do feel like those two opponents wrestled to simply keep it close and tried to win at the end.

10th sucks but a big improvement with 5 guys having their first year in the line up. I feel good about all those guys for next year with the exception of Thompson only because he really has zero offense.

Personally I'd like to see some great studs brought in at 65, 74 and even 285 (for 1 year). If we could get Keller at 57 I'd take him in a heartbeat also. I think highly of TT but that damn blue team out east wouldn't think twice about bringing in a stud recruit or NIL transfer to replace someone and we can't either. At 197 if you have CC and a healthy Surber battling then I think we're good there. Throw Robb in that as well til Dustin is done.

I saw some posts about going after the LR 33. Not saying it won't happen but I'd be surprised if we poached from a coach who wrestled under John.

Even Peak Daton is going to have his hands full at the trials. Just look at who’s competing for a spot at 57kg. Lee, Suranio, Vito, Gross, Gillman. He is going to need to wrestle out of his mind.
I agree. Vito is definitely the favorite IMO.

PSU will dominate next year. No need even talking about it. The best staff & RTC and to many things in place.

People can say what they want about Daton, but still an amazing career. He struggled to get to legs in the quarters and semis but I do feel like those two opponents wrestled to simply keep it close and tried to win at the end.

10th sucks but a big improvement with 5 guys having their first year in the line up. I feel good about all those guys for next year with the exception of Thompson only because he really has zero offense.

Personally I'd like to see some great studs brought in at 65, 74 and even 285 (for 1 year). If we could get Keller at 57 I'd take him in a heartbeat also. I think highly of TT but that damn blue team out east wouldn't think twice about bringing in a stud recruit or NIL transfer to replace someone and we can't either. At 197 if you have CC and a healthy Surber battling then I think we're good there. Throw Robb in that as well til Dustin is done.

I saw some posts about going after the LR 33. Not saying it won't happen but I'd be surprised if we poached from a coach who wrestled under John.
There is a difference between poaching and taking someone who is leaving regardless. If that becomes the case, we should not hesitate to take him.

Reactions: Howie_Fartz
There is a difference between poaching and taking someone who is leaving regardless. If that becomes the case, we should not hesitate to take him.
I don't necessarily disagree with that premise when you put it that way. Iowa and PSU will be first in line IMO. If Cael will commit to 33 and he can hold it, then were fine there imo until the Japanese kid gets settled in if that comes to fruition.

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn
We would all love to go out and get AA caliber guys for 157, 165, 174, 285 etc. but we don't have unlimited funds to fill the roster with portal guys. We aren't a PSU or Mich when it comes to money. We have to be smart about how we are spending our money. When you have a guy like Teague Travis who I think will only get better once he puts on some more size then you just have to go with him and hope he turns into something you would otherwise pay for. You fill the obvious holes you need first. Which at this point is 165. Brayden Thompson doesn't look big for 174, he just needs to get his weight managed and live his life right. But the kid still needs some offense.

Agree that 157 is a lower priority. I have no clue about any of the wrestlers on the team and their weight management but would love to see Hughes at 133 if he can manage it. We have done well with pulling weight at times but have also seen quite a few cases where going up a weight has been beneficial. Fortunately I’m old enough that weight pulling wasn‘t a science when I wrestled so I didn’t have to deal with it like they do today.

I love Teague Travis and everything he does and represents but his ceiling is hopefully being a lower AA eventually, we can and should absolutely upgrade at 157 if possible

Reactions: gyppoke
We don't just need AA type of guys, we need AA guys who are bonus machines. There is a big difference in team points between our studs like Izzy and Fix winning matches 8-2 and the Penn State guys like Messenbrink, Haines etc who tech/major/pin everyone

WE NEED BONUS MACHINES!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT