ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Worlds

Daton loses dec. to Magomedov 4-1. I would say that this was a time when stature made a difference. Daton made several shots and had a leg but Magomedov used his length to either go behind on the one takedown or bring it to a stalemate with each having a leg. Daton fought hard, scored his point on a pushout but the Russian had the only takedown on a counter shot and had a penalty point and pushout to go with it. Daton had a great tournament and has nothing to be ashamed about. The announcers indicated Magomedov had won his sixth straight senior freestyle tournament and was one of only two Russian wrestlers that did not have to wrestle off to get his spot on the team.

Dake wins a close match 7-2 with a takedown and gut close the end and we have our first world champ of the tournament with the magic man coming up after the two bronze medal matches at 86kg. Lookleft Daton spotted me 60 pounds and a foot of reach and I tripped coming on the mat and pinned myself or otherwise I would have been on the team.

Little surprised how Daton got hit with a second passivity when he had taken several shots and scored the ONLY offensive point of the match.

That rule is one of the ones that really hold international freestyle from really catching hold here.

Daton doesn’t get caught with the counter up 1-1 on criteria without that passivity.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Little surprised how Daton got hit with a second passivity when he had taken several shots and scored the ONLY offensive point of the match.

That rule is one of the ones that really hold international freestyle from really catching hold here.

Daton doesn’t get caught with the counter up 1-1 on criteria without that passivity.
Didn't the Russian score 2? But yes two cautions hurt him, if he couldve got on top who knows but the Russian was very very good.

Didn't the Russian score 2? But yes two cautions hurt him, if he couldve got on top who knows but the Russian was very very good.

Only offensive point at the time of the second passivity.

That Russian is really good. Flo has him #1 in the world and the guy who does Flo's international rankings knows his stuff (Jon Kozak).

Great, great run by Daton. He's right there with the best. His par terre offense is fantastic. Keep climbing.

A senior freestyle medal while still in college, that's pretty rare. Who's on that list? Steveson, Snyder, Cox, John...anyone else?

We are now third in the standings: 1. Iran 146 with 5 in the finals, 2. Russia 143 with 4 in the finals, 3. U.S. 135 with three in the finals.
57 kg Gilman in the finals.
61 kg Fix 2nd
65 kg Yanni dnp'
70 kg Green lost his 1st match 6-5
74 kg Dake 1st
79 kg Burroughs in the finals
86 kg Taylor 2nd
92 kg Cox wrestling for 3rd
97kg Snyder in the finals
125kg Gwiz 5th

This was Daton's first round match. His opponent here took 5th in Tokyo @ 57 kg. The Bulgarian also owns 2 wins over Gilman, 1 in Juniors & 1 in Seniors, so he's no scrub.

This was Daton's first round match. His opponent here took 5th in Tokyo @ 57 kg. The Bulgarian also owns 2 wins over Gilman, 1 in Juniors & 1 in Seniors, so he's no scrub.

After Snyder's match the team race is Russia 153, Iran 146, U.S. 145. Snyder won with a last second takedown to face Sadulaev in the finals.

We are now third in the standings: 1. Iran 146 with 5 in the finals, 2. Russia 143 with 4 in the finals, 3. U.S. 135 with three in the finals.
57 kg Gilman in the finals.
61 kg Fix 2nd
65 kg Yanni dnp'
70 kg Green lost his 1st match 6-5
74 kg Dake 1st
79 kg Burroughs in the finals
86 kg Taylor 2nd
92 kg Cox wrestling for 3rd
97kg Snyder in the finals
125kg Gwiz 5th
Pretty sure Green won his first two by 10-0 tech then lost 3rd 5-6 and not pulled thru.

Gilman 1st at 57kg with an aggressive hard fought 5-3 decision over Sarlak of Iran which gives US 5 team points and puts us back ahead of Iran at least momentarily.

Gilman 1st at 57kg with an aggressive hard fought 5-3 decision over Sarlak of Iran which gives US 5 team points and puts us back ahead of Iran at least momentarily.
Gilman had a comfortable 5-0 lead, wrestled smart at the end.

Gilman had a comfortable 5-0 lead, wrestled smart at the end.
Jordan Burroughs wins Gold with a 5-1 win in the finals over the Iranian and he wrestled like he was 21 years old. He says he is going to stay at 79KG for awhile and pull down to 74kg for the next olympics. He is now a six time world champion to tie John Smith. However, I was even more impressed with his interview after the match, he is a true champion in every aspect of his life. He just had his 4th child before coming to Norway and he also suffered a torn calf muscle in his last match with Dierenger and overcame it to win.

Standings before the finals at 97kg and 70kg are: 1. Russia 163, U.S. 160, Iran 151. I know from the commentators that the champion in the finals match adds 5 team points so if Snyder were to defeat Sadulaev that the US would have 165 points. We can not get any more points at 70kg as Green DNP but could get points if Zherhaevia wins third and Iran could get points if Goleiji wins 3rd so it is very close and I am not a bracketologist so I do not know how many more points you get for a 3rd place but it seems we have second locked and a long-shot chance to get the team title if (AND THAT IS A HUGE IF) Snyder defeats Sadulaev.

That Russian is really good. Flo has him #1 in the world and the guy who does Flo's international rankings knows his stuff (Jon Kozak).

Great, great run by Daton. He's right there with the best. His par terre offense is fantastic. Keep climbing.

A senior freestyle medal while still in college, that's pretty rare. Who's on that list? Steveson, Snyder, Cox, John...anyone else?
He’ll do great. He’s going to be a GOAT.

Jordan Burroughs wins Gold with a 5-1 win in the finals over the Iranian and he wrestled like he was 21 years old. He says he is going to stay at 79KG for awhile and pull down to 74kg for the next olympics. He is now a six time world champion to tie John Smith. However, I was even more impressed with his interview after the match, he is a true champion in every aspect of his life. He just had his 4th child before coming to Norway and he also suffered a torn calf muscle in his last match with Dierenger and overcame it to win.
He is a GOAT for sure. He and John hold the status differently. John had 6 in 6 years, crazy. JB has been at it for years and is still talking about the next olympics, crazy.

That first pushout should have been a takedown. Passivity calls were bs. Gifted the Russian 2 points.
International officials usually don't do Americans any favors. At the 1:10 mark in this video, a 2 point exposure is called against Daton. The video then skips ahead to 1:20 when the points are taken off.

On the Flo video you can see the whole sequence. The ref is right on top of the action when he calls exposure and the mat chairman & the judge agree. Bill Zadick throws the challenge brick and wins. Daton clearly pivoted on his head & never exposed.

We are in the lead with all matches wrestled before the championships are wrestled starting at 9:45 CDT today. 1. U.S. 168, 2. Russia 163, 3. Iran 157. We have one match left at 97kg where we can pick up 5 points but that would mean Snyder defeating Sadulaev of Russia which IMO is a very big obstacle. If Sadulaev wins then we are in a virtual tie for first but they have one more match for Bronze at 70 kg and if they win both of their matches they will win it. Iran has only one match left at 97kg for Bronze which would not give them enough points to pass either the U.S. or Russia. The point totals given are correct according to Flo but my assessment is always subject to doubt as 80 year old minds miss some nuance from time to time.

Have to give David Taylor & Sadulaev credit wrestling in these championships after winning the Olympics. They could easily have sat this one out.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Have to give David Taylor & Sadulaev credit wrestling in these championships after winning the Olympics. They could easily have sat this one out.
Final team score : 1. Russia 173, 2. U.S 168, 3. Iran 162. In Reality Russia was independent of their Governing body due to the doping scandal so I count this as a win for the U.S. Snyder lost to Sadulaev 6-0. Easy for an armchair wrestler to say but it was really a pathetic effort by Snyder and his corner. No real shots taken not even at the end when he was behind 6-0 and he was rightly penalized twice for inactivity. When you are the under-dog trying to keep it close and otherwise doing nothing to put yourself in jeopardy is IMO not the right strategy. Not a critcism of Snyder's heart or character but he did nothing to win this match and took zero chances.

Last edited:
Final team score : 1. Russia 173, 2. U.S 168, 3. Iran 162. In Reality Russia was independent of their Governing body due to the doping scandal so I count this as a win for the U.S. Snyder lost to Sadulaev 6-0. Easy for an armchair wrestler to say but it was really a pathetic effort by Snyder and his corner. No real shots taken not even at the end when he was behind 6-0 and he was rightly penalized twice for inactivity. When you are the under-dog trying to keep it close and otherwise doing nothing to put yourself in jeopardy is IMO not the right strategy. Not a critcism of Snyder's heart or character but he did nothing to win this match and took zero chances.
I'd be interested to hear what strategy anyone outside Gable Steveson is going to do to get through Sadulaev's defense. Snyder is smaller, slower, and less powerful. More a futile effort than pathetic.

I'd be interested to hear what strategy anyone outside Gable Steveson is going to do to get through Sadulaev's defense. Snyder is smaller, slower, and less powerful. More a futile effort than pathetic.
Sadulaev is on another planet. I think the coaching staff has done an outstanding job at preparing this team. The problem may be more of execution and if you’re going against a freak, it is difficult to execute

Sadulaev & Synder are 97kg and Steveson is 125kg correct, so Steveson not really in the discussion?

Reactions: tom_v31
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT