ADVERTISEMENT

1,000 Dual wins

Orangebomber

All-Big12
May 29, 2001
Oregon State passed 1,000 dual wins to become the third team after Iowa State and Oklahoma State. This is where I get confused. We are listed in the article as having 1,026 dual wins with Iowa State having 1,043. I know we reached the mile stone in 2011 against Northern Colorado and at the time we were behind Iowa Sate. However, they have struggled in the past few years and I thought we passed them. Our records show we won 37 total matches in 2012 and 2013. I assume some matches don't count but that would be a lot.

Does any know the details of what matches count where the list of dual wins can be found?

Those dual numbers might be reversed. I'm fairly certain OSU is about 17 victories ahead of Iowa State.

Jan. 28, 2011

STILLWATER, Okla. - The Oklahoma State wrestling team beat Northern Colorado, 44-0, Friday night in Gallagher-Iba Arena to score the 1,000th all-time dual match victory in the history of the program.

2012-13 BREAKDOWN
Overall Dual Match Record 20-1

2013-14 BREAKDOWN
Overall Dual Match Record 11-5
2011-12 BREAKDOWN
Overall Dual Match Record 17-1

All-Time Dual Wins Leaders
As of Nov. 14, 2014

1. Oklahoma State 1,054-120-23
2. Iowa State 1,037-297-20
3. Oregon State 999-326-28
4. Iowa 941-224-31
5. Minnesota 922-427-24

This post was edited on 11/17 9:59 PM by RNGwaddie

What really strikes me about the figures is the loss totals. We have 120 dual losses as compared to Iowa State's 297 or Minnesota's 427. Iowa has almost double the number of losses as Oklahoma State.

Originally posted by oberebo:

What really strikes me about the figures is the loss totals. We have 120 dual losses as compared to Iowa State's 297 or Minnesota's 427. Iowa has almost double the number of losses as Oklahoma State.
I'd be willing to bet that 2/3 of those losses for Iowa came before Kurdelmeier became the coach. We weren't all that great before him. We probably have by far the least amount of losses since he became coach.

Originally posted by ronsnap:

I'd be willing to bet that 2/3 of those losses for Iowa came before Kurdelmeier became the coach. We weren't all that great before him. We probably have by far the least amount of losses since he became coach.
I'm sure this is true but sadly (for some), the history of college wrestling did not begin in 1972 or even in 1976. It was a great run while it lasted.

Originally posted by oberebo:

You would lose the bet. From 1910-1972 Iowa lost 143 times. That is only 64% :)

However, if I did my math correctly, 1910-1972 is 63% of your 104 seasons.

It is a historical fact that Iowa had an amazing run of championships. We Oklahoma State fans can accept that freely. Why can't Iowa fans accept the sport didn't start in 1974. Heck, your media guide openly touts your success from 1974 to the present.

Originally posted by Old Number Nine:

I'm sure this is true but sadly (for some), the history of college wrestling did not begin in 1972 or even in 1976. It was a great run while it lasted.

I didn't say it did. Just pointing out, what I believe are probably the facts. And it aint over. :)

Yeah. It's over soon. Aren't you just a wee bit concerned about the lack of highly ranked recruits coming to Iowa lately? And why is that? I have my theory. What's yours? Would love to hear the explanation from an Iowa fan.

I am sure the ones coming to Iowa are quality coach able kids though. Will be interesting to see how's this turns out

Justin Mejia - #6 113
Jason Renteria - #15 120
Vince Turk - #11 138
Carter Happel - #15 138
Michael Kemerer - #3 145
Dayton Racer - #10 152

Not bad.

Justin Mejia - #6 113
Jason Renteria - #15 120
Vince Turk - #11 138
Carter Happel - #15 138
Michael Kemerer - #3 145
Dayton Racer - #10 152

Not bad.
There are not bad and if history is any judge they will turn into solid wrestlers. As we have found out, highly ranked wrestlers can struggle just like lower ranked wrestlers and sometimes they eventually live up to the high ranking and sometimes they do not. We are confident that our higher ranked recruits turn the corner but that first year is sometimes brutal on freshman.

Yes, very few can actually come in and compete for a national title as a freshman, although I think it is beginning to be more frequent than in the past. Plus there is always guys who mature in college and end up being very good even though they were not the cream of the crop coming out of high school.

I'm pulling for Marsteller this year because I drafted him onto my fantasy team. If he ends up redshirting I may have to let him burn a spot on my roster all year just so I can keep him for next year. I really think he's going to be good. Last weekends results were a good sign, but pulling Collica's shirt was not a good sign.

"not bad" sort of skirts the issue doesnt it? Not like they didnt have scholarships available.
But I will offer you a tip straight from Lindenwood live. Collica will be the 157 and Alex will be 65.
CM is not yet ready for prime time and will not be this year.
Smart to hold on to him for the future though.

Based on results so far a better option for you to stash on your bench for the future is Chandler Rogers 165.
This post was edited on 11/22 9:10 PM by Wheeling Cowboy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT