ADVERTISEMENT

OU coach resignation?

Feb 1, 2007
Does anyone have any information why the OU coach resigned suddenly, after having such a good recruiting class/

My opinion only.... I am a little close to program.... Only stating what I have heard and witnesses not intended to bash anyone. Cody has not developed anyone from the program and the recruiting has been down " for Oklahoma".... The people in the know say that he was consistently absent from practices and functions....he lost the wrestlers as a whole. The parents, alum, and boosters wanted him out. One major issue was the problems off the mat and the grades were below average. AGAIN.... not bashing just is what it is.... Hope things work out for him!

My opinion only.... I am a little close to program.... Only stating what I have heard and witnesses not intended to bash anyone. Cody has not developed anyone from the program and the recruiting has been down " for Oklahoma".... The people in the know say that he was consistently absent from practices and functions....he lost the wrestlers as a whole. The parents, alum, and boosters wanted him out. One major issue was the problems off the mat and the grades were below average. AGAIN.... not bashing just is what it is.... Hope things work out for him!
From everything I know about Mark, this sounds like complete and utter horse-hockey. His tolerance for off-the-mat and grades issues is notoriously minimal at best.

You would of thought right???? Well something changed for sure. There were more then just a few wrestlers who found themselves in trouble off the mat as well as some just exiting on their own. The program was one of a small number at OU that did not maintain a 3.0 GPA. The AD knew something was wrong as to why they only gave him a one year extension prior to the resigning. I hope and believe he will be offered a job quickly at a new school.

You would of thought right???? Well something changed for sure. There were more then just a few wrestlers who found themselves in trouble off the mat as well as some just exiting on their own. The program was one of a small number at OU that did not maintain a 3.0 GPA. The AD knew something was wrong as to why they only gave him a one year extension prior to the resigning. I hope and believe he will be offered a job quickly at a new school.

I was told by a contact of mine, who knew a former OU wrestler, that some football donors were going to withhold 2.5 million dollars of football funding if he were renewed. I have no idea what their objections were.

I was told by a contact of mine, who knew a former OU wrestler, that some football donors were going to withhold 2.5 million dollars of football funding if he were renewed. I have no idea what their objections were.
I am not doubting you heard this but in overall scheme of things at OU wrestling is just not that important and certainly not as compared to football and basketball. I find it impossible to believe that donors who had 2.5 million dollars to give to football would hold it back over the wrestling coach being fired.

I heard also it was 2.5, but it was 2.50 dollars and the big donor was big spender MiccoMacey. Just like his old man, keeping all that wealth to himself!

Reactions: oberebo
I heard also it was 2.5, but it was 2.50 dollars and the big donor was big spender MiccoMacey. Just like his old man, keeping all that wealth to himself!
Lies,Lies,Lies. All four of my children were promised $1.95 when I pass on. $2.50 is way more than I have. There is a stipulation however that the $1.95 can not be spent in support of the institution in Norman, OK so Micco will not have that to donate.

Lies,Lies,Lies. All four of my children were promised $1.95 when I pass on. $2.50 is way more than I have. There is a stipulation however that the $1.95 can not be spent in support of the institution in Norman, OK so Micco will not have that to donate.
Ha! I'll be spending my own $1.95 in Norman. THEN, I'll use your $1.95 to supplant that money. I'm a genius!

I know I'm the only one other then micco that cares but I'm about to lose all my connections over at OU. So the coaching carousel is down to Roselli, Hahn, and Lightner. Whoever it is has their work cut out for them. They are denying releases. Kinda strange I thought with no coach but hey..... That's what makes their program what it ain't!!!! Gotta look bad to any potential recruits the way the AD handles the wrestlers. They are in total limbo!!!

I know I'm the only one other then micco that cares but I'm about to lose all my connections over at OU. So the coaching carousel is down to Roselli, Hahn, and Lightner. Whoever it is has their work cut out for them. They are denying releases. Kinda strange I thought with no coach but hey..... That's what makes their program what it ain't!!!! Gotta look bad to any potential recruits the way the AD handles the wrestlers. They are in total limbo!!!

Just my opinion, but Roselli would be a home run and Hahn would be interesting. If they keep Lightner, I think OU is done for as long as he is around. No offense to him personally, I hear good things, but it is so hard to change perception and culture that I think they need someone new.

Through out this process I have learned by the way they have held the wrestlers hostage with the timing that the problem lies with Joe C and the sport oversight for wrestling. They will screw it up I promise!!!

I'm hoping Jordan Leen is still in the mix, but you naming just three names coincides with what I'm hearing...that the committee is down to three.

Would love to get Rosselli. Honestly, I just don't know enough about Hahn.

Think they also gonna interview the donor/wrestling dad that bought out Cody!!!! Apparently Joe C is really not running the program!! Ha!

Think they also gonna interview the donor/wrestling dad that bought out Cody!!!! Apparently Joe C is really not running the program!! Ha!
Ummmm...not one thing happens at OSU without the blessing of Boone Pickens. Holder is Picken's puppet. I wouldn't be criticizing OU in that area. OSU has absolutely no room for laughing here.

Ummmm...not one thing happens at OSU without the blessing of Boone Pickens. Holder is Picken's puppet. I wouldn't be criticizing OU in that area. OSU has absolutely no room for laughing here.

That is such a gooner sterotype and not close to being true.

Reactions: MiccoMacey

Micco I think (and hope) you are just joking around as nothing could be further from the truth. One could make an argument that a few decisions related to one major sport at our university receives some input from a particular power booster but outside of football there is zero input from him in any other sports.

"A year ago, I said, ‘Give Travis another year,’ ” Pickens said. “I can’t understand why he didn’t win. I’ll tell you what — he was unlucky as hell in this last year. I think he’s going to go somewhere else and be successful.”

That's his direct quote. Could be taken several different ways, but he also alluded multiple times about conversations with Holder concerning the next head coach in the same article.

"Boone Pickens’ opinion weighs heavily in Stillwater. And it should. The guy has given more to OSU than most of us could ever dream of making in a lifetime.

So naturally he has some sort of opinion as to who the successor to Travis Ford should be. Fortunately for us, he shared his opinion with the world on twitter on Monday:"

That's from the OSU on-line mag, Pistols Firing. They certainly believe his opinion weighs heavily, so at least I'm in good company.

"Mr. Holder called the unfinished athletic village "a little bump in the road." He had served as the school's golf coach for more than three decades before being named to head the athletics department in 2005, at Mr. Pickens's urging." - Wall Street Journal

So....the guy who got Holder hired, who has donated hundreds of millions of dollars to bring ALL OSU athletic programs up to date (see Athletic Village), and has been very passionate and vocal about OSU sports, isn't going to have any sway in any other sport other than football?

Not for one second do I believe Pickens has a "hands off" policy for all sports other than football. And I don't think anyone can even say "there's an argument to be made" about football. I think it's very clear he has input in all aspects of OSU sports, as he should.

But I digress, and honestly really have little interest in that topic. I'm going to believe one way until proven otherwise, and the topic at hand is OU's new wrestling coach, something I DO care a lot more about.

At this point I think Lightner gets it ONLY if all others refuse. No knock on him but history says they going another way. Joe C will screw it up I'm afraid.

Jives with what I'm hearing. Rumor is that OU is willing to cough up big money for this wrestling hire. Since Joe Castiglione is notorious for being...frugal..., I have to assume a donor/collection of donors have stepped forward with cash in hand.

At this point I think Lightner gets it ONLY if all others refuse. No knock on him but history says they going another way. Joe C will screw it up I'm afraid.
I'm hearing the same about Lightner.

Which I hate for him, as he's an OU guy. I truly do. But I'm afraid the ship needs to be more than just righted, and just a complete house sweep is probably best for the program.

Would love to know if Jordan Leen is even being mentioned. Jason Leonard sent me a little email thanking me for Jordan's LOR and had nice things to say about him. That's got to be a positive. He could have said, "Who?" :)

Which means they will cough up the $$$$ for Roselli! Word is he will be in tomorrow or Friday with decision possibly Friday but more likely early to mid week!

But I digress, and honestly really have little interest in that topic. I'm going to believe one way until proven otherwise, and the topic at hand is OU's new wrestling coach, something I DO care a lot more about.

Boone's involvement in any aspect of every sport outside of football is virtually nothing and is no different than any large donor. That is epecially true with a sport, despite my affection, isn't a blip on the radar in terms of financial impact or outside university appeal.

The only reason he was involved in any way with the basketball situation in 2015 was because he was one who was talked to about footing the bill for the coaching change.

Yep. Originally heard by the end of the week, but now may be a few days into next week. Regardless when, it sounds like they're very near the end.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT