ADVERTISEMENT

OU coach resignation?

I like Lightner and hope he finds success somewhere, but I think it is in OU's interest to look elsewhere. Unless the team is at the least trending up, I think you have to look outside the current staff.

It is always nice to have Sooners tell us how our athletic department is run. I'm sure if John Smith steps down tomorrow Boone is going to have a huge say in who replaces him.

Reactions: osu2082
"A year ago, I said, ‘Give Travis another year,’ ” Pickens said. “I can’t understand why he didn’t win. I’ll tell you what — he was unlucky as hell in this last year. I think he’s going to go somewhere else and be successful.”

That's his direct quote. Could be taken several different ways, but he also alluded multiple times about conversations with Holder concerning the next head coach in the same article.

"Boone Pickens’ opinion weighs heavily in Stillwater. And it should. The guy has given more to OSU than most of us could ever dream of making in a lifetime.

So naturally he has some sort of opinion as to who the successor to Travis Ford should be. Fortunately for us, he shared his opinion with the world on twitter on Monday:"

That's from the OSU on-line mag, Pistols Firing. They certainly believe his opinion weighs heavily, so at least I'm in good company.

"Mr. Holder called the unfinished athletic village "a little bump in the road." He had served as the school's golf coach for more than three decades before being named to head the athletics department in 2005, at Mr. Pickens's urging." - Wall Street Journal

So....the guy who got Holder hired, who has donated hundreds of millions of dollars to bring ALL OSU athletic programs up to date (see Athletic Village), and has been very passionate and vocal about OSU sports, isn't going to have any sway in any other sport other than football?

Not for one second do I believe Pickens has a "hands off" policy for all sports other than football. And I don't think anyone can even say "there's an argument to be made" about football. I think it's very clear he has input in all aspects of OSU sports, as he should.
AND, the influence doesn't stop at the door to Gallagher Hall. Goes directly to Whitehurst.

Just have a hard time seeing Lightner getting the job. The AD is somewhat under the microscope here imo. Cody has lost the instate recruiting battle since he has been at OU and Lightner has been a big part of that staff. With the timing of this the hire needs to be a show stopper. ! Now.... Maybe they all refuse the offer.... Then maybe Lightner. Personally I feel it's Rosellis if he wants it! Roselli either interviewing today or tomorrow so if we don't hear soon I would figure he refused it.

Had heard he and Andre Metzger both have asked to be interviewed. Don't know if they were given an interview or not.

Does he bring Steiber with him? Who does he get to coach with him? Anyone with Oklahoma ties? Edinboro and TOSU both respected programs have benefitted from his coaching ability, but his freestyle acumen will be the difference for the Sooners going forward in having greater success for those aspiring to compete at the World level. He coached in the 2012 and 2016 Olympics, plus some World teams. I imagine that is the direction the AD and alumni want the program headed. Not taking anything away from the previous coaching staff, but I believe the student/athletes will embrace big Lou and won't transfer once they hear his message.

You're my MAIN source. I also have a #1 source. There's a difference.
Your #1 source uses a Weegee Board and that is your dad. If his pastor (priest) heard about him (85 year old alter boy) and a Weegee board he would probably boot him out of his alter boy duties. My source at his church (yes, I have sources everywhere) tells me that the head alter boy (12 years old) saw him drinking some of that wine they use and recommending grounding him! If that happens, could be no tv or candy for a month.

Last edited:
WeeGee? Really?

WeeJee?
We G?
Oui Gee?
Oui Jee?

Good thing you didn't think to use the word "Monopoly" in your response. Your brain would have stroked out on all those circular letters.

Reactions: Onepokeovertheline
Just have a hard time seeing Lightner getting the job. The AD is somewhat under the microscope here imo. Cody has lost the instate recruiting battle since he has been at OU and Lightner has been a big part of that staff. With the timing of this the hire needs to be a show stopper. ! Now.... Maybe they all refuse the offer.... Then maybe Lightner. Personally I feel it's Rosellis if he wants it! Roselli either interviewing today or tomorrow so if we don't hear soon I would figure he refused it.
Cowboy Alum I have also heard that Roselli who I believe is interviewing today is the front runner. If it he turns it down then it will go back to the others mentioned but not yet interviewed including Mark Perry Jr.,, Jordan Leen, Damion Hahn etc. I do not believe that Michael Lightner, Mark Schultz or Andre Metzger are in the mix. Obviously, as an OSU fan I do not have any direct knowledge of their thinking or any input but as a wrestling fan who wants improvement for OU I believe Leen,Perry or Hahn would be more than acceptable for OU. In the end it will probably come down to Roselli accepting the position and from what I have heard to financial terms for the new coach and his future assistants are astounding and in the Cael Sanderson range.

Oberebo.... Yes sir! Hahn actually did already have his interview and yes Roselli is there today. Mark Perry did not throw his hat into the mix as of yet. I agree and think you are most accurate in your statements. Will be interesting.

Oberebo.... Yes sir! Hahn actually did already have his interview and yes Roselli is there today. Mark Perry did not throw his hat into the mix as of yet. I agree and think you are most accurate in your statements. Will be interesting.

Capsule bio of Lou Roselli. In High School in New York he was 156-8 and 37-0 asw a sr. He graduated from Edinboro State in 1993 with a degree in P.E. He remained at Edinboro for 11 years as an ass't. coach working with the lighter weights until 2006 when he joined Ohio State staff. He was a 2XAA in the NCAA's and made the 1996 Olympic team until he had to withdraw due to a broken arm.

Capsule bio of Lou Roselli. In High School in New York he was 156-8 and 37-0 asw a sr. He graduated from Edinboro State in 1993 with a degree in P.E. He remained at Edinboro for 11 years as an ass't. coach working with the lighter weights until 2006 when he joined Ohio State staff. He was a 2XAA in the NCAA's and made the 1996 Olympic team until he had to withdraw due to a broken arm.
Capsule Bio of Jordan Leen. Born in SHAWNEE,OK of not so humble parentage. Later moved with family to Garden City,Ks where his father was head wrestling coach. Attended and graduated from Cornell University where he was a 4X NCAA qualifier, 3XAA and a national champion in 2008 at 157 pounds. He is in his 5th years as a coach at the University of Virginia. He is an exceptional young man and comes from an exceptional family. I am not prejudiced-well maybe a little bit. :)

Capsule Bio of Jordan Leen. Born in SHAWNEE,OK of not so humble parentage. Later moved with family to Garden City,Ks where his father was head wrestling coach. Attended and graduated from Cornell University where he was a 4X NCAA qualifier, 3XAA and a national champion in 2008 at 157 pounds. He is in his 5th years as a coach at the University of Virginia. He is an exceptional young man and comes from an exceptional family. I am not prejudiced-well maybe a little bit. :)
Capsule Bio of Mark Perry Jr. Started High school wrestling for Stillwater but transferred to Blair Academy in New Jersey where he was a 2X National High school champ. Went to Iowa where he was a four time AA and a 2X national champ in 2007 and 2008. He was co-head coach at Cal Poly in 2010 and 2001 and now is the Asst. head coach at Illinois where he has been since 2011.

Capsule Bio of Damion Hahn. Damion is in his 10th year at Cornell and in February of 2014he was elevated to Associate head coach. He was a 2 time NCAA champion at Minnesota in 2003 and 2004 and had a record of 116-21 in college.

It's Roselli as long as they can cut that check....if they ain't got it they can always hit up that booster/dad that started this whole thing rolling!!

Reactions: oberebo
He just coached an Olympic champ which should be the deal breaker to pay the man...how any current college coaches coached an Olympic medalist?

I took a picture of Jordan Bourroughs with my son and I told him to move a little to the left. Does that count as coaching an Olympic champ?

If so, then I am in that category. If not, I don't have anything else close to it. :)

A lot of talks with Mr. Roselli since Friday with the OU admin. Sounds like they trying to work out the $$$$$. Feeling like a decision in the next few days.... Most likely tomorrow. They prob need to get the approval of the donors as it seems like they actually are calling the shots!!! Ha!

Reactions: oberebo
A lot of talks with Mr. Roselli since Friday with the OU admin. Sounds like they trying to work out the $$$$$. Feeling like a decision in the next few days.... Most likely tomorrow. They prob need to get the approval of the donors as it seems like they actually are calling the shots!!! Ha!
Thabjs

Sources tell me that if your money is on Roselli.....take your ticket to the window and cash it in! Announcement very likely by end of day tomorrow!!!!!!

Sources tell me that if your money is on Roselli.....take your ticket to the window and cash it in! Announcement very likely by end of day tomorrow!!!!!!
Good pick and good for OU and the state. Thanks for info. I look forward to reading about it.

Hmm. Seems like only yesterday that we were praising UO on their hiring of Cody... And how they were going to tear up the wrestling world with his all American red shirts and AA transfers.

I'll admit I was definitely wrong about how successful Cody would be at OU, I thought he would continue trending up from what he was doing at American.

I do hope OU finds success with Roselli. Iron sharpening iron and all that.

Great hire... They never told the wrestlers.... Let them find out on social media. Wow! Think he will do great though!

Let me call it......Roselli with announcement on Tuesday!!!
It's Roselli as long as they can cut that check....if they ain't got it they can always hit up that booster/dad that started this whole thing rolling!!
Cowboy alum- you've been on the money according to FLO. They must've paid up. Good work. Who does he bring in? Does OU announce tomorrow as you states previously?

Cowboy alum- you've been on the money according to FLO. They must've paid up. Good work. Who does he bring in? Does OU announce tomorrow as you states previously?
Flo indicated in their story that he would be going after a Coach Robie who also attended Edinboro with him. I would think that Milhof may have second thoughts about leaving as Roselli coached the likes of Reece Humphrey and Logan Steiber and Steiber a 4X national champion commented on Flo after the hiring that he thought he was the greatest coach in the country Roselli was and is a light weight so Milhof might benefit greatly by this hire and not lose a year of eligibility.

Good points....not sure what Milhoff will do....gut is he still leaves. Don't count out Lightner as assistant coach!!!!!

Looks like some of the wrestlers were quite pissed to find out about the hiring on social media before the school told them. Definitely could have been handled better

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT