ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Rushmore of Oklahoma State Wrestling

mcpat

Recruit
Mar 29, 2023
I’m looking to learn more about OkSt, so please tell me your Mount Rushmore. Based on my research (by the powers vested in me via Google), I see a lot of worthy candidates, but in considering NCAA performance, international performance and time spent wrestling in Stillwater, my list is:

Yojiro Uetake
John Smith
Pat Smith
Jack van Bebber

Last edited:
Reactions: tom_v31
Jack van Bebber

• Undefeated in his college career
  • 3 NCAA Championships when freshman couldn’t wrestle varsity
  • Olympic Gold Medalist
  • Inaugural member of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Yojiro Uetake

• Undefeated in his college career
  • 3 NCAA Championships when freshman couldn’t wrestle varsity
  • 2x Olympic Gold Medalist
If you haven’t had the opportunity to visit Stillwater I highly recommend it, the wrestling hall of fame is a great walk through wrestling history. Obviously our fingerprints are all over wrestling but it’s a fun experience.

Reactions: mcpat
The Mount Rushmore from Ok State is actually a mountain range…not a 4 bust pass. The history is super rich and vast. I don’t speak for everyone, but the guys that had the stones to make it in this history shouldn’t miss being singled out.

My old ref/coach who only won a few Big 8 titles and helped win a few national titles belongs. He passed away last weekend. He had a major impact in southern Oklahoma for 30 years.

Great start though!

Reactions: colcord and Rdcldad
I’m looking to learn more about OkSt, so please tell me your Mount Rushmore. Based on my research (by the powers vested in me via Google), I see a lot of worthy candidates, but in considering NCAA performance, international performance and time spent wrestling in Stillwater, my list is:

Yojiro Uetake
John Smith
Pat Smith
Jack van Bebber
This is really tough. The first 3 are really good picks, but the 4th I think is much harder and more debate. You defined criteria, so that helps. I think you have to have multiple NCAA titles and international success. Kenny Monday and Kendall Cross honorable mention. Mike Sheets completely dominant - 2 titles and 4X AA (I think 7,2,1,1). Jake Rosholt was a 3X champ and 3rd his sophomore year, but never had undefeated season and I think only one conference title (the year he was 3rd in NCAA). A lot of great two time champs - Chris Pendleton, Chris Barnes, Johnny Thompson are a few great ones.

The people to think about for the 4th spot as Jimmy Jackson, Eric Guerrero, Alex Derringer. Fun discussion!

This is really tough. The first 3 are really good picks, but the 4th I think is much harder and more debate. You defined criteria, so that helps. I think you have to have multiple NCAA titles and international success. Kenny Monday and Kendall Cross honorable mention. Mike Sheets completely dominant - 2 titles and 4X AA (I think 7,2,1,1). Jake Rosholt was a 3X champ and 3rd his sophomore year, but never had undefeated season and I think only one conference title (the year he was 3rd in NCAA). A lot of great two time champs - Chris Pendleton, Chris Barnes, Johnny Thompson are a few great ones.

The people to think about for the 4th spot as Jimmy Jackson, Eric Guerrero, Alex Derringer. Fun discussion!
Tons of great wrestling, what if Branch never gets hurt? He was so much fun to watch.

No disrespect to any other University’s Mt Rushmore, but OSU’s Mt Rushmore kicks the shit out of everyone else’s. That’s all you need to know. Iowa and Dan Gable was a Bad Ass and he had his guys that were bad asses, for sure! Cael was a Bad Ass and his guys were bad asses, for damn sure!! But there’s been Soooo Many bad asses from Oklahoma State, it’s really a disservice to name a Mt Rushmore of OSU wrestling…. There’s been that many that could qualify!

No disrespect to any other University’s Mt Rushmore, but OSU’s Mt Rushmore kicks the shit out of everyone else’s. That’s all you need to know. Iowa and Dan Gable was a Bad Ass and he had his guys that were bad asses, for sure! Cael was a Bad Ass and his guys were bad asses, for damn sure!! But there’s been Soooo Many bad asses from Oklahoma State, it’s really a disservice to name a Mt Rushmore of OSU wrestling…. There’s been that many that could qualify!
That’s why I call it a mountain range!

Agreed! This would be true even if you had a Mt Rushmore of Smith’s only! 😊

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT