ADVERTISEMENT

NCAAs Session 1

Watching this makes me realize how far away from Penn St. we are. They just keep having top 4 wrestlers pop up on the screen.

Reactions: bwel9339
Pretty disappointing so far. Bolen and Truax vs Cowboys coming up. Let’s see how this turns out.

Wittlake looking like a horse. As in being ridden like one. Not strong enough for 184. He needs to get a lot better. Another high level recruit who has been slightly above average at best. I am impressed with the VTech guys so far.

Wittlake seems to small for 184. Another opponent that looked way bigger.

Plott,Voinovich, and Fix appear to want to be there at least. We will see what Surber looks like.

I liked Surber's effort. The big 4 point throw at the beginning was just too much to overcome.I am guessing 3 AA's with a finish around 12-15th.

Last edited:
I liked Surber's effort. The big 4 point throw at the beginning was just too much to overcome.
We are tied for 16th with Illinois and Arizona State with 10 points with 2 wrestlers in the quarters. We will have to do very good in the consolations or we will have another embarrassing year with Nationals at Tulsa.

Only two guys in the quarters for us. Not good. I’m sure John is real happy about it… it’s a product of the entire season and why it’s so important to be ready for every match. You get shit seeds and most of the time you’re going to get shit results.

This looks to be the new norm. John is not going to step down or change anything significantly. He would have done so by now. I am losing interest. Tickets to the finals session in Tulsa were $60 online yesterday. That is how far we have fallen.

I mean if I had a great job that paid well I don't think I would quit either. I am assuming however if I was not producing at a certain level that I would get shown the door.

This looks to be the new norm. John is not going to step down or change anything significantly. He would have done so by now. I am losing interest. Tickets to the finals session in Tulsa were $60 online yesterday. That is how far we have fallen.

I mean if I had a great job that paid well I don't think I would quit either. I am assuming however if I was not producing at a certain level that I would get shown the door.
John will tell everyone the same shit he did last year after that abortion of a national tournament we had and nothing will change just like last year. John ain’t changing

This is really just an accumulation of the past few years. Fearri bros out, No HWT so you have a small guy bump up and then drop down. You have a hurt 165 lber get over 205 lbs and decides he’s going to be 184. You have two middle weighs bumping up and out sized. There is no plan for weights and seems to be no real leadership coaching wise anymore with it.

John will tell everyone the same shit he did last year after that abortion of a national tournament we had and nothing will change just like last year. John ain’t changing
Yes I am ready to see a change. I am a huge OSU fan but I can no longer support the leadership in place. I hate to say that but how much further do we need to fall before we wake up and become relevant?

Anyone know why Rex has been on the radio alone this year? Where is Roger Moore?

This is really just an accumulation of the past few years. Fearri bros out, No HWT so you have a small guy bump up and then drop down. You have a hurt 165 lber get over 205 lbs and decides he’s going to be 184. You have two middle weighs bumping up and out sized. There is no plan for weights and seems to be no real leadership coaching wise anymore with it.
I agree with all of this but we are still no better than maybe 5-10 even with the Ferrari brothers. AJ's improvement came from work he put in outside the room. Don't think OSU can take credit for that.

Doucet is not the answer…. The guy is so lackadaisical. 0-2 and no team points. Shows no enthusiasm and has no mean streak. Disappointing end to a disappointing day.

I got roasted for saying this line up with Aj wouldn’t be a top 10 line up before the season started and I still stand by it.

Imagine the piss poor attendance and energy at the OSU party between the tournament sessions. Is it too late to cancel all the fake hoopla?

We’re hosting this tournament and we crapped the bed and looked completely unprepared. Time for John to retire and the existing staff to move on.
Let's just talk Big12. You give the Iowa State coach or UNI coach our wrestlers and I can guarantee you they could do much better. There are PLENTY of coaches who would crawl to Stillwater for 1/2 of John's pay.

Bad timing to try and raise funds for a new facility.

I agree with all of this but we are still no better than maybe 5-10 even with the Ferrari brothers. AJ's improvement came from work he put in outside the room. Don't think OSU can take credit for that.
We would have 2 more guys in the quarters most likely right now if they were around and would have the #1 kid coming in who is probably better than the older two. I’m not mad about it bc they are all idiots. I’m just saying it really screwed us up and that would have been something to keep us in the mix. Maybe this class coming in will give us that “spark”

We would have 2 more guys in the quarters most likely right now if they were around and would have the #1 kid coming in who is probably better than the older two. I’m not mad about it bc they are all idiots. I’m just saying it really screwed us up and that would have been something to keep us in the mix. Maybe this class coming in will give us that “spark”
I hope you are right. Just feels like we always come up with excuses and reasons the next class will be the one. Every program deals with knuckleheads and kids who leave. We have to figure out how to get better with who is here.

"I wish it could've been a little bit better but it was a tough day," head coach John Smith said. "We won some tough matches and we lost some tough ones. We were positioned in the bracket a little tough at some weights which makes it tougher. We have seven alive as we go into tomorrow and that's important."

Little bit better? We were positioned tough because of some poor regular season showings which results in bad seeds.

"I wish it could've been a little bit better but it was a tough day," head coach John Smith said. "We won some tough matches and we lost some tough ones. We were positioned in the bracket a little tough at some weights which makes it tougher. We have seven alive as we go into tomorrow and that's important."

Little bit better? We were positioned tough because of some poor regular season showings which results in bad seeds.
Typical Bs John spin. **** let’s be honest that quote speaks loudly on our program. A little bit better ? Are you Fu king serious ???????

Watching this makes me realize how far away from Penn St. we are. They just keep having top 4 wrestlers pop up on the screen.
Yeah... it's pretty demoralizing from a fan's standpoint.

In the "Penn State Era" we've had 5 different National Champions bring home 910 (And even looking at that is a bit frustrating with atleast 1 or 2 being left on the table for those guys)

Penn State has had 17 different National Champions win 32 total (and 5 in a single season twice).
Ohio State has 10 with 22 total.
I mean FFS, Cornell has 6 with 10.

I guess at least Iowa has only had 5 dudes go for 7, but they do have a team title in this span, so there's that...

It's obvious what were doing isn't going to get us to 35. It's going keep us better than most on any given year, but most likely not even with in striking range of the top programs.

edit: forgot that Heil had 2...

Last edited:
Wrestle well this evening and four to the quarters is a reasonable expectation. G and Wittlake with tossups. Fix and Plott favored. Surber needs some magic.
I think Surber has top 4 potential. I love the way that guy just doesn't give a sh!t. Top, Bottom, Neutral, dude is always hungry and if he makes a bad shot attempt, he's VERY good at the reversal right after a takedown.

AJ Ferrari has this dude to thank for really working him last year imo.

Reactions: JAY45
Outside of RBY, they had 3-4 who struggled early on. Van Ness SHOULD'VE lost in the opening match but whoever he wrestled couldn't hang on and got pinned late. He would've won, believe he was up 12-8 on VN and RT wasn't an issue....Even Iowa had some struggles....Murin struggled and I thought he'd walk into the Quarters.

At this point does Fix go somewhere else next year? I am not sure he has gotten any better since his first year or 2. People would have thought I was crazy if 4 years ago I would have said we will never win a Natty during Fix's career.

Outside of portal and NIL I see no way we get back into title contention.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT