ADVERTISEMENT

“Look at the way I’ve been treated lately...

Hmm

198610_5_.jpg

198611_5_.jpg

198612_5_.jpg

I think media could always find positives and negatives to write about. The fact is, under the prior president, and all past modern presidents (sorry I don't care what kind of coverage Andrew Jackson received), they have tried to be somewhat equal in coverage (which is clearly demonstrated in the Harvard study) and highlight the good with the bad. With Trump its decidedly chosen that nothing positive will be written. If its good, ignore it. If its negative, publish it above the fold, then write 16 opinion pieces about why its bad and that Trump is the devil. You'd have to try hard to write 93% negative pieces on any politician and tell yourself that you were honest and fair. But that's what you are saying NBC and CNN have done. What surprised me the most out of the study though, was that FoxNews (the so called Right-wing, Trump supporter news agency) was actually balanced: 52% negative.

Reactions: Tulsaaggieson
What "good" stories have been ignored?

hard to say, since I'm just as dependent on the media for the news as most American's. But I'm right-leaning and while I personally didn't think Obama did much good in his time in the white house, he managed 60% positive stories, so obviously the stories can be written. He did get a conservative justice nominated and added to the SC. But that was a negative, not a positive, to the media. He actually submitted a budget (while not wholly popular) that got a better Congressional response than any of the Obama budgets. Heck, his budget had a lot of concessions to the left, and outside of a few right wing sites highlighting it as a RINO move, you got nothing from the mainstream media about how centrist the budget was. I don't expect the media to be 50/50. But if your ratio of negative to positive is 15-to-1 then its clear that you aren't even trying to be 'fair and balanced'. Do you really believe that middle America thinks that 93% of the things Trump has done have been negative? Or are you telling me that the news shouldn't reflect these opinions, and thus only represent the opinions of an Ivory Tower New Yorker?

He did get a conservative justice nominated and added to the SC. But that was a negative, not a positive, to the media.

Are you saying that this story was only covered in a negative light? You are clearly saying that it was not ignored.

He actually submitted a budget (while not wholly popular) that got a better Congressional response than any of the Obama budgets.

So, this story was not ignored... Was it only covered in a negative light by the media?

Do you really believe that middle America thinks that 93% of the things Trump has done have been negative? Or are you telling me that the news shouldn't reflect these opinions, and thus only represent the opinions of an Ivory Tower New Yorker?

The news should reflect what is news, not the mood of middle America. I'm not saying they are doing that, I am telling you what I think their job is.

I agree that Trump is at war with the media and that he often doesn't get a fair shake. I'm just not seeing any evidence of positives that are being swept under the rug. You (likely) voted for him because he is anti-establishment, is going to drain the swamp and is going to shake things up. I would think that we should expect those things to cause a lot of change. No one likes change, so I think it should have been expected that most everything would be perceived in a negative light initially. He has made it worse by bowing up to the media and turning tensions into all out war.

The news should reflect what is news, not the mood of middle America. I'm not saying they are doing that, I am telling you what I think their job is.

I agree that Trump is at war with the media and that he often doesn't get a fair shake. I'm just not seeing any evidence of positives that are being swept under the rug. You (likely) voted for him because he is anti-establishment, is going to drain the swamp and is going to shake things up. I would think that we should expect those things to cause a lot of change. No one likes change, so I think it should have been expected that most everything would be perceived in a negative light initially. He has made it worse by bowing up to the media and turning tensions into all out war.

The problem is that "what is news" is only being judged through the democratic lens, so it doesn't reflect what would be deemed news (and positive news at that) to those in middle America. Its not supposed to be about the "mood" of one part of the country. But that's exactly what its become. Today's news reflects the mood of the two city centers (NY and LA) where these media outlets reside.

I do agree with your second paragraph. I expect it to be more negative than the prior president. I even get it being more negative than Bush before him. But the 15-to-1 ratio (as stated by a Harvard study) is an enormous divergence from even our least popular presidents.

The first graphic tells me where a majority of the fake news and political bias lie.

The second graphic confirms the media acceptance and approval of the status quo.

The last graphic indicates the progression of media into the first two categories.
You had me at Thor...

The first graphic tells me where a majority of the fake news and political bias lie.

The second graphic confirms the media acceptance and approval of the status quo.

The last graphic indicates the progression of media into the first two categories.
Goofy. For your analysis to be anything g like defensible you must present a baseline. Please tell us the "correct" percentage of negative news for DJT.

hard to say, since I'm just as dependent on the media for the news as most American's. But I'm right-leaning and while I personally didn't think Obama did much good in his time in the white house, he managed 60% positive stories, so obviously the stories can be written. He did get a conservative justice nominated and added to the SC. But that was a negative, not a positive, to the media. He actually submitted a budget (while not wholly popular) that got a better Congressional response than any of the Obama budgets. Heck, his budget had a lot of concessions to the left, and outside of a few right wing sites highlighting it as a RINO move, you got nothing from the mainstream media about how centrist the budget was. I don't expect the media to be 50/50. But if your ratio of negative to positive is 15-to-1 then its clear that you aren't even trying to be 'fair and balanced'. Do you really believe that middle America thinks that 93% of the things Trump has done have been negative? Or are you telling me that the news shouldn't reflect these opinions, and thus only represent the opinions of an Ivory Tower New Yorker?
Do you really believe news should follow popular opinion polls? Specifically those sampling "middle America". Your better than that.

Goofy. For your analysis to be anything g like defensible you must present a baseline. Please tell us the "correct" percentage of negative news for DJT.

The baseline is there. Take some time to read how past presidents were treated according to the study. Maybe then you can move beyond your confirmation bias and TDS.

Dangit. You better be drinking. It's Friday. Can I recommend something to get your party started? It won't be a margarita though because you aren't a woman.
Knee deep in a reorg (one of the good ones) - we are doubling staff and need to build the structure ahead of that. Have a couple of things to finish up before I get my groove on.

Knee deep in a reorg (one of the good ones) - we are doubling staff and need to build the structure ahead of that. Have a couple of things to finish up before I get my groove on.
Who has a job that makes them work on Fridays?

Who has a job that makes them work on Fridays?
Don't get me started... I am most the way to Platinum for the year and it is only May. This integration and the deal flow of joining the biggest tech player in the world has me barely treading water. All in a good way. Tremendous growth oppty for my team, and like I said we will double headcount (have to double) by start of 2018... BTW: no credit to Trump.

Don't get me started... I am most the way to Platinum for the year and it is only May. This integration and the deal flow of joining the biggest tech player in the world has me barely treading water. All in a good way. Tremendous growth oppty for my team, and like I said we will double headcount (have to double) by start of 2018... BTW: no credit to Trump.
You're speaking Russian. I'm waiting for you to speak Drunk. My job security depends on drunk people. And sick ones too I suppose. But about that drunk, get your hands on the 2012 Evening Lands Eola-Amity Hills Seven Springs Vineyard Pinot. Drink three bottles and then we'll talk.

You're speaking Russian. I'm waiting for you to speak Drunk. My job security depends on drunk people. And sick ones too I suppose. But about that drunk, get your hands on the 2012 Evening Lands Eola-Amity Hills Seven Springs Vineyard Pinot. Drink three bottles and then we'll talk.
Just a suggestion - something fine like that - drink one bottle (with a friend or two), then move to the $11 A to Z, then the 3 buck Chuck...

That's good to hear man. Happy for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT