ADVERTISEMENT

Would “Bigfoot Ale” barley wine style from 2013 still be drinkable?

SquatchinPoke

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2021
I found this in an old closet and forgot I had it. I thought it was one you could age. Just curious as I know there are some beer guys on here.

If it was stored correctly, it should be.
That is all I got from google. I am going to say throwing it in the back of a closet isn’t proper and it seems maybe 8 almost 9 years might be to long on that type of beer. I will say how I store my red win is very close so maybe I will start over and do it with a more controlled environment. It’s very very cloudy

Reactions: Ostatedchi
That is all I got from google. I am going to say throwing it in the back of a closet isn’t proper and it seems maybe 8 almost 9 years might be to long on that type of beer. I will say how I store my red win is very close so maybe I will start over and do it with a more controlled environment. It’s very very cloudy
I have some beer that's 10 years old.

Wow that is crazy. What do you think is it worth opening and having a sip?
Hell yeah. Give it a try. Maybe open it outside in case is smells like rotten eggs. I have some New Belgium Abbey Grand Cru from July 2008 and it is still delicious. (A little older than I thought)

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Hell yeah. Give it a try. Maybe open it outside in case is smells like rotten eggs. I have some New Belgium Abbey Grand Cru from July 2008 and it is still delicious. (A little older than I thought)
@SquatchinPoke What Chi said.

What else can you do with it anyway? It's worth a shot if all you're going to do with it is throw it away. I've had some local barleywines around that age and they were boozy as hell, but drinkable. They were stored at cellar temp in a dark place.

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
@SquatchinPoke What Chi said.

What else can you do with it anyway? It's worth a shot if all you're going to do with it is throw it away. I've had some local barleywines around that age and they were boozy as hell, but drinkable. They were stored at cellar temp in a dark place.
Thanks guys I put these in my wine refrigerator for now and hope to pop the top on one this coming weekend. I would have this weekend but got busy and forgot.

Reactions: Ostatedchi
I seriously doubt it is worth a crap. Beer is not meant to be aged.

It will be fine. A friend of mine has Bigfoot back to 1997. All good, but you can tell the difference after Sierra Nevada switched to non-twist off caps in the 2000s.

What about 1976 Dr Pepper? Think it's still fizzy?
1976-Dr-Pepper.jpg

I seriously doubt it is worth a crap. Beer is not meant to be aged.

Back in the day I made some home brew with buddies. It was average at best and I wouldn't bother sharing it with anyone. I apparently stuck some bottles in a rarely-used utility room cabinet and a few years later found it. It actually improved and was quite a bit smoother that the early batch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT