ADVERTISEMENT

Windriverrange

Harry you are and always have been one of the funnier cats on this board.

I've talked about her from time to time and the gigantic pain in the ass it was to get all the immigration stuff done. That said she is the best thing that ever happened to me by a gigantic margin. The cool thing about all this is she was with her best friend when we meet. I eventually introduced her best friend to mine and they got married a year after we did. Then my wife's daughter came up to live with us and go to grad school at OSU and she meet one of the strength and conditioning coaches at OSU (absolutely phenomenal guy) and they got married this last summer.

I've met so many nice gals down there it's sick...many are professionals and super hot. But the guys down there, for the most part really don't treat them well so there are many many many fantastic single ladies running around single looking for a good guy and most would marry outside of Brazil in a heartbeat. I can think of two right now (lawyer & an engineer) that are as awesome as they come and waiting for a good dude.

Interesting perspective you have.

I'm in the early stages of a relationship with a fantastic Brazilian gal. We met at work and the friendship really took off rather quickly. She came here 15 years ago on a basketball scholarship and has already become an American citizen and all that jazz. One of the best chicks I've ever met. Old school classy. I can see this going long term easily.

Having said that, I've never been to South America and can't speak Portuguese. She's actually talked about going back to Sao Paulo for a year or two to spend some time with her family. I'd actually entertain the idea. All of her Brazilian friends seem friendly and super outgoing. Have you spent much time down there?

Interesting, a man with the moniker of "Breastman" is in a relationship with a Brazilian woman. Brazilian women are notoriously stereotyped as having been blessed with glorious derrieres. Is it time for a name change? Could I recommend "Derriereman"?

Reactions: cactusjackosu
She's actually talked about going back to Sao Paulo for a year or two to spend some time with her family. I'd actually entertain the idea. All of her Brazilian friends seem friendly and super outgoing. Have you spent much time down there?

I have a female friend from São Paulo (currently living in London), and I've been to SP on business. I'm not a fan, given the security issues, miserable airport (even after the World Cup improvements), hideous road infrastructure, and poor air quality. It's a massive city but lacks an identity that other places (such as Rio, even with its issues) have. And it's a pain in the ass to get a visa thanks to their reciprocity policy.

São Paulo does have some amazing food, and some nice areas......but I would not bring my wife and kids there, and there are very few places I've traveled where I'd say that.

I'm guessing your girlfriends family live in one of the countless number of residential high rises - this is where a lot of the sense of security and community exist in the city for the middle and upper class - many people rarely if ever actually walk around on the streets themselves.

SP is also the largest Japanese community in the world outside of their nation. Again, good food there. But I'd take Santiago Chile any day over SP.

Harry you are and always have been one of the funnier cats on this board.

I've talked about her from time to time and the gigantic pain in the ass it was to get all the immigration stuff done. That said she is the best thing that ever happened to me by a gigantic margin. The cool thing about all this is she was with her best friend when we meet. I eventually introduced her best friend to mine and they got married a year after we did. Then my wife's daughter came up to live with us and go to grad school at OSU and she meet one of the strength and conditioning coaches at OSU (absolutely phenomenal guy) and they got married this last summer.

I've met so many nice gals down there it's sick...many are professionals and super hot. But the guys down there, for the most part really don't treat them well so there are many many many fantastic single ladies running around single looking for a good guy and most would marry outside of Brazil in a heartbeat. I can think of two right now (lawyer & an engineer) that are as awesome as they come and waiting for a good dude.
I have a good friend who worked/lived in Sao Paulo for years. He's happily married, (to an American) has a great family, but said the same thing about the women and the not so ambitious men. He wants to retire to an area or country with a strong latin culture because he loves the culture and the people.

Breastman, sorry this took so long to get back to you. Lots of family stuff over the last 4 days.

Sao Paulo is a huge place, something like 21 million people. I personally don't care for it and would much rather be in Fortaleza, Natal, Bahia, Florianopolis or Belo Horizonte. That said if she wants to move back down there and you follow its not the end of the world. Just get ready for lots of slowwwwwww traffic.

The people in Brazil are probably some of the nicest I have meet anywhere in the world. You can go from the blackest black to the whitest white and everything in between in any area and they don't seem to have any issues with race. I would probably put folks in Columbia on par with Brazilians as well as Ecuadorians, but that's about it. You can have Chile, which would be the bottom of the barrel in my world as far as South America goes (have heard awesome things about folks in southern Chile, but never been there) and Santiago is probably one of the places I wouldn't care about ever going back to (sorry Duke).

I have spent a fair amount of time in Brazil, all the places above and Rio. Not speaking Portuguese isn't a huge detriment either. Most of the professional circles you would be exposed to, many if not all the people would speak English and those that don't absolutely won't hold your non-native language skills against you. I think its a fairly easy language to pick up as well...it's kind of a mix of Portuguese, Italian and Spanish. I'm not sure what you might plan to do as far as employment, but teaching English is a great option and it's normally total immersion so you won't have to worry about knowing any Portuguese.

Duke and I differ about SP and Santiago/Chile but one thing I am in violent agreement with him about is you have to be extremely careful when out and about, especially if your looks/dres etc etc, scream "I'm an American." For two years it wouldn't be a bad place to be, but no chance in hell I would settle there way to many other nicer places in the country.

If you make the move let me know okay. My brother-in-law is an entrepreneurial son of a gun (with some investors and friends) and just started a line of restaurants that are tied into the favorite/most popular soccer teams in a certain geographical region. The food is a regional draw as well with some American dishes. Even though the economy is in the crapper down there and the politicians are about as corrupt as they come, he/they are doing well.

My email is mbezinque@cox.net if you want to drop me a line. I also have some connections with PETROBRAS but not sure they would do you any good as that group has been pretty much neutered as of late. My wife's friends could be a help also plus her son still lives in SP.

Can't go wrong with any South American girls. Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, Uruguay etc...all produce great women. American women have become unbearable to a large degree thanks to "feminism."

Reactions: CBradSmith
Feminism? You're a riot man. I guess you keep your little uneducated, bare-foot, pregnant missus chained to a post in the kitchen where she belongs? Let her loose for two hours on Tuesdays to vacuum and scrub the toilets?

Feminism? You're a riot man. I guess you keep your little uneducated, bare-foot, pregnant missus chained to a post in the kitchen where she belongs? Let her loose for two hours on Tuesdays to vacuum and scrub the toilets?

No, my wife is a PhD. Works full time at a major D1 university. She's a strong, independent woman and a nice person. She's not a BITCH, and hence not a "feminist."

She's not a BITCH, and hence not a "feminist."

Always have a derogatory label for anyone you don't agree with, don't you? So all bitches are feminists? We could have followed your logic if you'd said all feminists are bitches.

You'd still be wrong, but we'd have known where you were headed.

PS, I was pretty sure your wife wasn't tied to a post.

No, I try not to ever use deragatory terms. It's childish and rude. Maybe you have me pegged for someone else.

But not so when it comes to "feminists." I've had enough real-life experiences with "feminists" to realize what they truly are. Show me a "feminist" and I'll show you a BITCH.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT