ADVERTISEMENT

What do you prefer: using the self checkout or an actual cashier?

When shopping, do you prefer a live person at the checkout, or do you like use the self checkout?

• It depends on my mood/amount of groceries/other reason

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • I use the self-checkout always- I'd rather not talk to anyone.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • Use the actual cashier - I'm not being paid to do their job!

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • If I think the cashier is hot, I'll go in her/his line.

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
126.jpeg

As many times I have bitched about them having 42 lanes and only 2 working...I still use the cashier. I would rather they pay a person and give someone a job than some automated shitbag that makes me use a bag when I don’t want to use a bag...

I do pickup now and don’t even go in.
I do this if I have to pick up stuff from Wal Mart. If I go to SAM's I do my own shopping. I buy meat there and like to pick out my own stuff so I use self check out as it is 30 minutes faster. Amazing how I can scan 300-400 dollars worth of groceries before a person with everything on a conveyor belt can do one person. If I go to Whole Foods or Sprout for stuff I usually just let a person check me out.

Reactions: giddyup
I do this if I have to pick up stuff from Wal Mart. If I go to SAM's I do my own shopping. I buy meat there and like to pick out my own stuff so I use self check out as it is 30 minutes faster. Amazing how I can scan 300-400 dollars worth of groceries before a person with everything on a conveyor belt can do one person. If I go to Whole Foods or Sprout for stuff I usually just let a person check me out.
I buy all my meat and fresh foods from Sprouts. I go in for that. Walmart pickup for everything else. Not going into Walmart makes Walmart more desirable.

I buy all my meat and fresh foods from Sprouts. I go in for that. Walmart pickup for everything else. Not going into Walmart makes Walmart more desirable.
That Wal Mart pick up was a life changer for me. Now that we have a kid my wife would have to stay home with him and I was doing the shopping and I hated it. Now she just does it all online and I don't have to spend hours searching the store for crazy stuff. lol

Lucky to have Publix here in Florida and they dont have self checkout. Every lane has a cashier and a bagger who also loads your car. I also use their home delivery a few times a month.

So glad I only have to go into trashy walmart about one time a year.

That Wal Mart pick up was a life changer for me. Now that we have a kid my wife would have to stay home with him and I was doing the shopping and I hated it. Now she just does it all online and I don't have to spend hours searching the store for crazy stuff. lol
My wife builds the list and I pick up on my way home from work. Don’t even have a clue what’s on it.

Reactions: JonnyVito
Really depends, if I have a full cart I'll let the pro do it. Otherwise it's whatever is quickest. Sometimes the self check out or the express is not the quickest.

If I could have a discount by going to the self check out then I would use it. Until then, I shouldn’t have to work to pay the same as someone else doing the work.

I keep hearing this line about cashiers being out of a job if you use the self check out. I do self check out or pickup only. But it is false logic to say that I am causing the cashier to lose their job. I created a job for the guy that built the machine, the guy that installed the machine, the guy that does maintenance on the machine, the guy that writes and updates the machine code, etc. etc. etc. I guess you guys don't use vending machines either?

80-90% of our groceries are delivered to our home these days....although I prefer to go to the grocer when picking out steaks and the like...

My default is still the cashier but i more open to self check out . Depends on what I'm buying and the lines. If its just stuff that can be scan by barcode and I have a few items I will go self checkout. I hate looking up fruits and the like.

Overall self checkout seems to be improving. When it first came out I shut the line down everytime with some kind of unexpected item in the bagging area or item that would scan and had to have the attendant come over so it ending up taking longer. Now that seldom happens.

About the only problem I have at a self check out now is produce that is sold as a stand alone price like 5 buck each but might have a little difference in weight. It trips up the thing that weighs the items in the bag. The other day at SAM's I made the end of year run and had a flat cart full and a shopping cart full. I checked out at the self check out before the girl checking people out could even finish the customer she was helping when I walked up to start. They are so smooth now and don't have to wait on the older person to tell the cashier all about Jimmy's report card.

Lucky to have Publix here in Florida and they dont have self checkout. Every lane has a cashier and a bagger who also loads your car. I also use their home delivery a few times a month.

So glad I only have to go into trashy walmart about one time a year.

My regular go to for groceries is local owned Crest foods.

While they do have self checkouts, it’s limited to 10 items. They keep a lot of cashier lanes open and even have bag boys/girls so the cashiers aren’t bagging too.

Human cashier. It is usually someone who seems to be 60 and just trying to keep their bills paid. I respect that and want to help them stay employed.

Reactions: Rdcldad
I keep hearing this line about cashiers being out of a job if you use the self check out. I do self check out or pickup only. But it is false logic to say that I am causing the cashier to lose their job. I created a job for the guy that built the machine, the guy that installed the machine, the guy that does maintenance on the machine, the guy that writes and updates the machine code, etc. etc. etc. I guess you guys don't use vending machines either?

Its true that the total number of jobs may stay the same. However, there are some older individuals who won't be retrained, they are finishing off their working lives and will just be canned.

For those who do pickup from a walmart neighborhood grocery, do you go in and pick up the stuff somewhere or is there usually a pull up spot where they bring it out? I never have paid attention there, I know some Reasors have designated drive ups where they load your car.

For those who do pickup from a walmart neighborhood grocery, do you go in and pick up the stuff somewhere or is there usually a pull up spot where they bring it out? I never have paid attention there, I know some Reasors have designated drive ups where they load your car.

You go to the app when you leave your house and say you're on your way. You pull up to a spot and in the app put what parking spot your in and they bring it out to you. They will go over what they were out of and tell you if they were able to replace it with a generic brand or similar item. You can reject it and they'll remove it from your bill.

You go to the app when you leave your house and say you're on your way. You pull up to a spot and in the app put what parking spot your in and they bring it out to you. They will go over what they were out of and tell you if they were able to replace it with a generic brand or similar item. You can reject it and they'll remove it from your bill.

Damn that's handy, thanks

Reactions: OSUIvan
Once other cities ramp up home delivery like Austin you will think curbside pickup is an absolute waste of time. We are very spoiled but I love it.

My wife fixed stew last week but we didn’t have any saltines so I ordered saltines and a bottle of wine. Was at our door within an hour.

Last edited:
Why are all the men ITT doing the grocery shopping? Does your wife hand you the list after you've finished washing and folding all the clothes?

Reactions: Winston Havelock
My wife hates going to the store, and when she goes she comes back with a bunch of stuff that is not on the list. I don't mind going to the store, and my daughter loves going with me and is surprisingly great while there (only had one issue and it was during check out).

She works. I play golf, cook and shop for groceries.

She also does all of the laundry.

Have a pool guy, house cleaners and yard crew.

I will gladly turn in my manhood for that kind of deal.

Why are all the men ITT doing the grocery shopping? Does your wife hand you the list after you've finished washing and folding all the clothes?
Have you seen the women at Uptown grocery in Edmond on a Sunday?

Reactions: nathajw
Have you seen the women at Uptown grocery in Edmond on a Sunday?

When I was single and in my early 20s living in The Village, for that very reason I would spend 2 hours at a time at Central Market off Lover's and Greenville.

Reactions: squeak
When I was single and in my early 20s living in The Village, for that very reason I would spend 2 hours at a time at Central Market off Lover's and Greenville.
Were yoga pants in back then?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT