ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn this weekend?

I didn't hear John's show either. Can anyone elaborate on what was covered...

What did Sheets weigh-in at on Sat?

Is Skidgel still working his way down to 165?

Did he comment on the signees & weights? Robert Allen had an article that said Carroll is going 285. Also, Flo is showing Brayden Thompson is registered at 86 KG for the Bill Farrell.
Didn't hear the show. Read a quote form John about Sheets. Also announcers in Lehigh dual said Sheets was at 165 but was on his decent plan down

Would love to see Victor stay in the lineup IMO. I get the feeling he's going to keep getting better the more mat time he gets. Let Sheets and Gfeller battle over 157.

It doesnt matter who you put out at 165 this year because its going to be very hard for any of our best options to AA at that weight and score points at NCAA's. 165 is a meat grinder and looking at Flo's new rankings we will face 7 of the top 12 ranked guys at that weight in duals not including 4 more ranked in the top 25. I think John wants Wyatt at 157 because it gives him a better chance for success and scoring points at nationals. BUT I do agree that our best lineup is with Gfeller at 157 and Sheet at 165 from a competetive dual standpoint. I do think throughout the year we will see those two wrestle duals at those weights depending on our opponet. I want to see Voinovich all year so im okay with G and Sheets battling it out at 157. I like G and I was really hoping he would AA last year. He is never out of a match and can score bouns points so I would like to see him in the lineup but just not at 149. Sadly, it kinda feels like at this point in his college career he is on borrowed time by coming back late last minute, overweight and out of shape.

It doesnt matter who you put out at 165 this year because its going to be very hard for any of our best options to AA at that weight and score points at NCAA's. 165 is a meat grinder and looking at Flo's new rankings we will face 7 of the top 12 ranked guys at that weight in duals not including 4 more ranked in the top 25. I think John wants Wyatt at 157 because it gives him a better chance for success and scoring points at nationals. BUT I do agree that our best lineup is with Gfeller at 157 and Sheet at 165 from a competetive dual standpoint. I do think throughout the year we will see those two wrestle duals at those weights depending on our opponet. I want to see Voinovich all year so im okay with G and Sheets battling it out at 157. I like G and I was really hoping he would AA last year. He is never out of a match and can score bouns points so I would like to see him in the lineup but just not at 149. Sadly, it kinda feels like at this point in his college career he is on borrowed time by coming back late last minute, overweight and out of shape.
Correct me if i'm wrong - but sheets cut to 157 is no easy feat. So that's my biggest gripe with John.

Regardles of how tough the weight - put your guys in the best opportunity to compete. John still makes the most technically proficient (and tough) guys on the mat. But considering he won't exactly back off the training or an incredibly difficult schedule - let the guys not cut so much if the opportunity provides itself.

And it has in the case of Voinovich, GFeller and Sheets.

Reactions: colcord
Would love to see Victor stay in the lineup IMO. I get the feeling he's going to keep getting better the more mat time he gets. Let Sheets and Gfeller battle over 157.

I agree, Voinovich needs to stay in the lineup. Not only to help his development, but also to find out if he can be a point scorer on a contending team going forward.

Personally, I'd like to see Mechler at 157 for the same reasons. That's because there's a possibility (even if remote) that Williams' best weight turns out to be 149. But I can't see John bringing Sheets back and then sitting him.

This team is not in the trophy hunt. And 165 is loaded as others have pointed out. Putting Gfeller at 157 and Sheets at 165 might help with some duals, but it won't make a difference at Nationals. At this point, I think you leave Voinovich at 149, let Gfeller & Sheets rank for 157, and then have the loser challenge at 165 against Harper & company.

I agree, Voinovich needs to stay in the lineup. Not only to help his development, but also to find out if he can be a point scorer on a contending team going forward.

Personally, I'd like to see Mechler at 157 for the same reasons. That's because there's a possibility (even if remote) that Williams' best weight turns out to be 149. But I can't see John bringing Sheets back and then sitting him.

This team is not in the trophy hunt. And 165 is loaded as others have pointed out. Putting Gfeller at 157 and Sheets at 165 might help with some duals, but it won't make a difference at Nationals. At this point, I think you leave Voinovich at 149, let Gfeller & Sheets rank for 157, and then have the loser challenge at 165 against Harper & company.
Good points. Have to wonder how much nostalgia/"give 'em one more shot" plays a role in keeping G and Sheets in the lineup.

Reactions: Wrassler17
With Sheet’s past history of injuries, I hope they keep G ready in case he is needed at 157.

Well no one besides Sheets has a chance to make a difference at 165 and Sheets is very unlikey to score more than G at 157. G could score a couple pins on the backside. We need V at 149 for experience, 157 & 165 don't matter that much so why not let two very experienced guys fill the spots. This cutting weight like its still the 1980s for two 6th year Sr guys is just crazy. :(

Well no one besides Sheets has a chance to make a difference at 165 and Sheets is very unlikey to score more than G at 157. G could score a couple pins on the backside. We need V at 149 for experience, 157 & 165 don't matter that much so why not let two very experienced guys fill the spots. This cutting weight like its still the 1980s for two 6th year Sr guys is just crazy. :(
Wait, so no comment on Sheets weighing in @ 165 and being on his descent plan to 157? The other day you were pretty insistent that he would be @ 157 for Lehigh because he took part in the ranking matches. No interest?

Ok, I already stated why I'd like to see the young guys. Not only Voinovich & Mechler, I'd also like to see what Haas has to offer too. But I understand people need to earn their spot in wrestling. So to answer your question...if Sheets thinks 157 is his best shot to AA (and I'd agree), then John should give him that chance. Joe was given the chance at 165 against Chandler. I don't see how you arbitrarily put Sheets at 165 and Gfeller at 157. Let them compete for it.

One other thing, there's been a lot of talk about the big weight cuts for Gfeller & Sheets. But I haven't seen anything that supports it. It may be true, but can someone cite a source? Wyatt had a couple of knee injuries, but that doesn't mean it was weight related. Maybe the rib injury last year? What are people referring to exactly?

Reactions: DPJ and JAY45
I think we saw what Mechler had against Bucknell. I honestly believe that John will let them (Gfeller and Sheets) do what they think is best for them. Be more interested in what Jordan Williams has to offer at this level, he was travelling with them, maybe he gets a shot.

I didn't hear John's show either. Can anyone elaborate on what was covered...

What did Sheets weigh-in at on Sat?

Is Skidgel still working his way down to 165?

Did he comment on the signees & weights? Robert Allen had an article that said Carroll is going 285. Also, Flo is showing Brayden Thompson is registered at 86 KG for the Bill Farrell.
I think we see Brayden at 182 in IL . With Ironman weights being 175 & 190 I think we see him a 190. States having different weights throws things off.

I would rather Sheets stay at 165 and have G go at 157

G is a likely backup and will be a spot duty type of guy.

Sheets has a better chance at scoring points at 157 where his size and strength is a weapon. He isn’t big or strong enough for 165 and that is also a loaded weight.

The tournament is in Tulsa and we need to show and score as well as possible so all decisions being made are very likely with that in mind.

Reactions: JAY45
I think we see Brayden at 182 in IL . With Ironman weights being 175 & 190 I think we see him a 190. States having different weights throws things off.
I was surprised to see him registered at 86 KG rather than 79 KG.

Where do you see him going in college?

Today's media day interviews with John and Gfeller are on Rokfin. Hopefully they'll be posted there going forward because I didn't see last week's on YouTube.

John went thru some of Saturday's results - what he liked, what needs improving. He didn't give anything concrete on 149-165 going forward, just that he plans to wrestle the best guys. G talked about getting the itch to compete again. Also said he was comfortable at 157, but would do whatever was best for the team.

Some guys are going to Lindenwood this weekend.

Today's media day interviews with John and Gfeller are on Rokfin. Hopefully they'll be posted there going forward because I didn't see last week's on YouTube.
Where did you find them on Rokfin? Mat scouts?

200 pounds in September. That is some weight loss to get to 157 two months later. Must have been pretty chuncky. If he pulls to 149 that is a 1/4 of his body weight.

200 pounds in September. That is some weight loss to get to 157 two months later. Must have been pretty chuncky. If he pulls to 149 that is a 1/4 of his body weight.
G probably feels great just getting off the unlimited cheeseburgers and fries. Doesn’t sound like he’s too pumped up to cut that extra 8 pounds……I’ll do whatever Coach Smith wants but I sure do feel good at 157. 😂 Great interview, they should have him more often. Very open and enjoyable.

Reactions: DPJ and JAY45
We currently have 6 guys registered for Lindenwood. Can't see the names just yet. It will be streamed on Rokfin again.

This would be a good tourney for Jordan Williams & Zach Blankenship. John said something about freshmen not being able to wrestle an event unless it's part of the team schedule. Don't think that's correct, freshmen can wrestle Opens, but they need to wrestle attached first semester.

Reactions: TheJimReaper
We currently have 6 guys registered for Lindenwood. Can't see the names just yet. It will be streamed on Rokfin again.

This would be a good tourney for Jordan Williams & Zach Blankenship. John said something about freshmen not being able to wrestle an event unless it's part of the team schedule. Don't think that's correct, freshmen can wrestle Opens, but they need to wrestle attached first semester.
So far at Lindenwood Blankenship has a 1st period pin and Kyle Hass surprise has 2 first period pins. For some reason they don't have any results at 149 and so Travis and Williams matches are unknown. Also no matches yet by Harper according to track. Witcraft won his 1st match 18 to 8 at 133.

So far at Lindenwood Blankenship has a 1st period pin and Kyle Hass surprise has 2 first period pins. For some reason they don't have any results at 149 and so Travis and Williams matches are unknown. Also no matches yet by Harper according to track. Witcraft won his 1st match 18 to 8 at 133.
Was just watching Kyle's last match. He lost due to injury. Looked like he tried a lat drop and his opponent landed on him and he hurt his left shoulder. Damn

Was just watching Kyle's last match. He lost due to injury. Looked like he tried a lat drop and his opponent landed on him and he hurt his left shoulder. Damn
Yeah, he loves that lat drop. Hopefully he's ok. If he's done for the year, he would qualify for a medical redshirt.

Looks very strong at 184. That Mizzou guy is strong (beat Abe Assad last year) and Haas was taking ground on him.

Reactions: DPJ
Yeah, he loves that lat drop. Hopefully he's ok. If he's done for the year, he would qualify for a medical redshirt.

Looks very strong at 184. That Mizzou guy is strong (beat Abe Assad last year) and Haas was taking ground on him.
I thought he was looking good too. Hope he's all right he needs to be in the room rolling with TW.

I thought he was looking good too. Hope he's all right he needs to be in the room rolling with TW.
Speaking of 184 Thompson won his 1st match quarterfinals 4 to 1 against Kazakhan. He is strong, solid has good defense but not a lot of offense. But for a senior in high school he could and should be a real good wrestler for us.

Reactions: DPJ

Blankenship won by pin in the semi"s, Harper lost in the 1st round, Jordan Williams won by major to get to the quarters and Teague Travis won 7 to 1 to get to the quarters. Witcraft won 11 to 10 against Seltzer of Missouri to advance to the finals at 133. I use to go to this tournament and its quality has really dropped.

Blankenship won by pin in the semi"s, Harper lost in the 1st round, Jordan Williams won by major to get to the quarters and Teague Travis won 7 to 1 to get to the quarters. Witcraft won 11 to 10 against Seltzer of Missouri to advance to the finals at 133. I use to go to this tournament and its quality has really dropped.
Jordan Williams won a decision in the quarters along with Travis. Also I saw where Yianni lost to Gomez which broke a 75 match win streak. Gomez won 9 to 4.

Speaking of 184 Thompson won his 1st match quarterfinals 4 to 1 against Kazakhan. He is strong, solid has good defense but not a lot of offense. But for a senior in high school he could and should be a real good wrestler for us.
Brayden Thompson won 4 to 3 in the semi's over Armenia. He has behind 3 to 0 in the second period. He got the takedown and a leg lace for the win. Nice win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT