ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia leadership scandal

The 1992 Clinton-Gore presidential campaign distributed a button featuring a Confederate flag motif.

UnprovenAbout this rating
In June 2015, in the midst of a national controversy over the continued flying of a Confederate flag on South Carolina State House Building grounds (especially in the wake of a recent racially-motivated shooting at a South Carolina church that left nine people dead), images of a purported 1992 political campaign button began to pop up online. The button, supposedly from the victorious Clinton-Gore presidential ticket, was notable for using the Confederate battle flag as its motif (a tie-in to the fact that the two candidates hailed from the former Confederate states of Arkansas and Tennessee)

clinton-gore-confederate-1992.jpeg

Copies of the button were also offered for sale via the online auction site eBay.

However, what’s seen here, if it dates from 1992, was likely a privately-made or other local item not authorized by the national campaign. A longtime Clinton aide and 1992 campaign operative stated that this was not an official Clinton-Gore campaign button:

According to a longtime aide to former President Bill Clinton, the button was not an official campaign item.

“I’ve never seen these buttons,” Craig Smith [said]. “Don’t have them, haven’t seen them.”

Smith oversaw state operations for Mr. Clinton’s campaign in 1992, before moving on to work in the Clinton White House. Among his responsibilities on the trail was allocating staff to states and sending out campaign materials, like house party kits, t-shirts,yard signs and buttons, nationwide. Every item, he said, had to be made in the United States by union workers.

“If it didn’t have a union bug, we weren’t making them,” he said, “and we definitely weren’t handing them out.”

The button in question, and others featuring similar designs for sale or sold on eBay, does not show any indication of being union-made.

Smith said he thought the buttons were likely made by someone unaffiliated with the campaign looking to make a buck. He said if it had been pitched to him, it wouldn’t have gotten past his desk.

“Not appropriate then,” he said, “and not appropriate now.”

The Washington Post also observed that:

It’s important to note that there is no indicator that these buttons were actually made and distributed by the actual Clinton-Gore campaign.

One indicator that it isn’t official is that it lacks a union “bug,” the little marker showing that a piece of campaign material was printed in a union shop. If you look at other Clinton-Gore buttons, nearly all — but not all — have a bug somewhere.

Buttons.png

In the 1980s and 1990s, buttons played part of the role that Etsy, Zazzle and Cafepress play now. Buttonmakers were never hard to come by, and anyone who wanted to could make his or her own, offering whatever sentiment they wanted to. So just because these buttons exist doesn’t mean they were sanctioned or approved by the campaign.

Yearbook should not be used to take someone down. Didn’t like it with Kavanaugh. Judge him for who he is now and he’s a person okay with killing a baby in third trimester and beyond. That’s enough for me.
I agree, but the monster was unleashed.

The equivalence with Kavanaugh is false also. Kavanaugh was in high school; the governor was 25 and in medical school. In addition, what was claimed about Kavanaugh was vehemently denied with no real evidence countering that denial. The proof is in the photo and apology with the governor.

The 1992 Clinton-Gore presidential campaign distributed a button featuring a Confederate flag motif.

UnprovenAbout this rating
In June 2015, in the midst of a national controversy over the continued flying of a Confederate flag on South Carolina State House Building grounds (especially in the wake of a recent racially-motivated shooting at a South Carolina church that left nine people dead), images of a purported 1992 political campaign button began to pop up online. The button, supposedly from the victorious Clinton-Gore presidential ticket, was notable for using the Confederate battle flag as its motif (a tie-in to the fact that the two candidates hailed from the former Confederate states of Arkansas and Tennessee)

clinton-gore-confederate-1992.jpeg

Copies of the button were also offered for sale via the online auction site eBay.

However, what’s seen here, if it dates from 1992, was likely a privately-made or other local item not authorized by the national campaign. A longtime Clinton aide and 1992 campaign operative stated that this was not an official Clinton-Gore campaign button:

According to a longtime aide to former President Bill Clinton, the button was not an official campaign item.

“I’ve never seen these buttons,” Craig Smith [said]. “Don’t have them, haven’t seen them.”

Smith oversaw state operations for Mr. Clinton’s campaign in 1992, before moving on to work in the Clinton White House. Among his responsibilities on the trail was allocating staff to states and sending out campaign materials, like house party kits, t-shirts,yard signs and buttons, nationwide. Every item, he said, had to be made in the United States by union workers.

“If it didn’t have a union bug, we weren’t making them,” he said, “and we definitely weren’t handing them out.”

The button in question, and others featuring similar designs for sale or sold on eBay, does not show any indication of being union-made.

Smith said he thought the buttons were likely made by someone unaffiliated with the campaign looking to make a buck. He said if it had been pitched to him, it wouldn’t have gotten past his desk.

“Not appropriate then,” he said, “and not appropriate now.”

The Washington Post also observed that:

It’s important to note that there is no indicator that these buttons were actually made and distributed by the actual Clinton-Gore campaign.

One indicator that it isn’t official is that it lacks a union “bug,” the little marker showing that a piece of campaign material was printed in a union shop. If you look at other Clinton-Gore buttons, nearly all — but not all — have a bug somewhere.

Buttons.png

In the 1980s and 1990s, buttons played part of the role that Etsy, Zazzle and Cafepress play now. Buttonmakers were never hard to come by, and anyone who wanted to could make his or her own, offering whatever sentiment they wanted to. So just because these buttons exist doesn’t mean they were sanctioned or approved by the campaign.
Wanna bet?

Reactions: Pokeabear
Just my opinion, but there is no excuse for this, he needs to step down and if he won't , he needs to be removed.

Dang, a couple of weasel zippers lived at Forty North back in the 70's..............:D

This whole thing just strikes me as petty nonsense. Judging yesterday by today’s standards has never been ok. Even if the “standards today” are heavy handed and ridiculous. I get it, precedence has been set. The GOP could set a precedent to not be hypersensitive, hyper-reactionary douchebags, but I will not hold my breathe.

The Democrats proved they cannot be decent, sadly, the GOP will prove the same. The Kavanaugh trials were no less, and I will grant even more, garbage. When the next GOPer has some skeletons uncovered, I cannot wait to hear the whining.

That said, the hypocrisy is rather precious. It would still be nice to see one side set an ethical precedent.

This whole thing just strikes me as petty nonsense. Judging yesterday by today’s standards has never been ok. Even if the “standards today” are heavy handed and ridiculous. I get it, precedence has been set. The GOP could set a precedent to not be hypersensitive, hyper-reactionary douchebags, but I will not hold my breathe.

The Democrats proved they cannot be decent, sadly, the GOP will prove the same. The Kavanaugh trials were no less, and I will grant even more, garbage. When the next GOPer has some skeletons uncovered, I cannot wait to hear the whining.

That said, the hypocrisy is rather precious. It would still be nice to see one side set an ethical precedent.
His fellow Democrats will force him out. They must, in order to preserve the power of what they perceive as their best weapon against Republicans.

His fellow Democrats will force him out. They must, in order to preserve the power of what they perceive as their best weapon against Republicans.

I do not disagree. I am also willing to bet that every Democrat that does so is buying and burning every high school, college, etc book that might have anything incriminating.

Reactions: Rdcldad

Agree 100%. The only way to get back to real life is to make people play by the shortsighted rules they are setting.

It all started with the @CowboyUp ’s of the world insisting that a celebrity playboy grabbing perfectly willing groupies by the pussy is “sexual assault”

Will Kamala Harris be under similar scrutiny for making hers available for grabbing in order to advance her career? In a normal world it shouldn’t be anyone’s business. But different rules today.

This impossible scrutiny and purely political resistance to outsiders is poison for attracting quality candidates to anything.

Reactions: CBradSmith
Agree 100%. The only way to get back to real life is to make people play by the shortsighted rules they are setting.

It all started with the @CowboyUp ’s of the world insisting that a celebrity playboy grabbing perfectly willing groupies by the pussy is “sexual assault”

Will Kamala Harris be under similar scrutiny for making hers available for grabbing in order to advance her career? In a normal world it shouldn’t be anyone’s business. But different rules today.

This impossible scrutiny and purely political resistance to outsiders is poison for attracting quality candidates to anything.

The Democrats have shown that they are willing to eat their own to their own detriment (see one Bernie Sanders). If you are a hard-line GOPer, let it happen. Take the high road and show some reasonable behavior. The more of their own the Dems eat, the more fractured they get. Of course, the the GOP needs to put up a decent candidate, to go with your last sentence.

What, you don't love politics in every single avenue and moment of life?

You don't love 24/7 hypersensitivity?

I seriously doubt anyone on the right is wanting him out because of the photo. I think most people, like ITT are laughing at the left because they set this stupid standard, they need to live with it.

Most on the right want him out because he wants to butcher babies.

I seriously doubt anyone on the right is wanting him out because of the photo. I think most people, like ITT are laughing at the left because they set this stupid standard, they need to live with it.

Most on the right want him out because he wants to butcher babies.

That may be a very fair point.

As much as I agree, its worth noting that Desantis' (Governor of Florida) just had his Secretary of State forced to resign due to a blackface photo from a costume party 20 years ago and the media was full throat about how terrible it was (the photo not the resignation). Its not being a douchebag to simply expect everyone to be judged and measured to the same standard, or to call it out when its not.

So it wasn’t him but he did do black face when he was Michael jackson for a dance contest. That’s the story now.

Here’s a thought: maybe Northam’s racist antics have a substantive link to his abortion Uber Alles position?

Here’s a thought: maybe Northam’s racist antics have a substantive link to his abortion Uber Alles position?
I think he is just an incredible dumbass that wants to take a really strong pro abortion stance and isn’t quite smart enough to know when to stop. This same dumbassary is responsible for his not knowing how to answer questions about his past (that shouldn’t really even be asked).

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT