ADVERTISEMENT

Israel-Hamas-Gaza-Iran war

Iran vows to send more drones to be shot down if Israel attacks. They had show some sign of strength to there people, but not enough to get obliterated.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
Been saying it for weeks, Israel should turn Palestine into a Parking Lot. Set an example and the rest of the rock throwing rapists in the region will get the message.
I think they decided to bomb Hezbollah from the stone age to the dark age. But I suspect that that may have been a preparatory strike for a ground invasion into Lebanon. When this is all over, Israel will hold even more "occupied territory" and people like Dan can complain about how oppressive Israel is.

It reminds me of playing the game Civilization. You sit around and wait for your enemies to attack you, then you invade them and take half their territory.

I think they decided to bomb Hezbollah from the stone age to the dark age. But I suspect that that may have been a preparatory strike for a ground invasion into Lebanon. When this is all over, Israel will hold even more "occupied territory" and people like Dan can complain about how oppressive Israel is.

It reminds me of playing the game Civilization. You sit around and wait for your enemies to attack you, then you invade them and take half their territory.
Love that game ...Call to Power is my fave version.

I conquer all but one city and surround it to keep it down.

Then I win by cloning the alien. The last wonder I build is the AI so it can not rebel while I am cloning the alien.

I played he original on a PC with an 8086. Went to the library to use word perfect (free at the library) and someone had loaded the game on the PC. I copied it and took it home to put on my IBM PS2. I quickly got rid of that PC for a clone due to the micro channel slots. I was running dos without windows and also had the X wing and A-10 video games.

Programing in C, prolog and lisp.
Those were the days :).

Love that game ...Call to Power is my fave version.

I conquer all but one city and surround it to keep it down.

Then I win by cloning the alien. The last wonder I build is the AI so it can not rebel while I am cloning the alien.

I played he original on a PC with an 8086. Went to the library to use word perfect (free at the library) and someone had loaded the game on the PC. I copied it and took it home to put on my IBM PS2. I quickly got rid of that PC for a clone due to the micro channel slots. I was running dos without windows and also had the X wing and A-10 video games.

Programing in C, prolog and lisp.
Those were the days :).

Cut my teeth programming Turbo Pascal on a $2500 Compaq Deskpro with a blistering fast 8086 running 6.33MHz. I'm typing this right now on a i7-14700K (8x5.2GHz) with 64GB DDR5 at 6400MHz. Crazy...

Cut my teeth programming Turbo Pascal on a $2500 Compaq Deskpro with a blistering fast 8086 running 6.33MHz. I'm typing this right now on a i7-14700K (8x5.2GHz) with 64GB DDR5 at 6400MHz. Crazy...

Real OG PC gamers played ASCII games off 5 1/4” floppies

First machine was 8088 clone, 6.33 MHz, no hard drive

Real OG PC gamers played ASCII games off 5 1/4” floppies

First machine was 8088 clone, 6.33 MHz, no hard drive
I started with an Atari 400. I remember the day I discovered you could make a 5.25 disc double sided before they were double sided. I had one of those cassette drives too. From there it was the Atari 1200 before getting my first 8086.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
I started with an Atari 400. I remember the day I discovered you could make a 5.25 disc double sided before they were double sided. I had one of those cassette drives too. From there it was the Atari 1200 before getting my first 8086.

Notice I said ‘PC’ gamers. 😁

My Atari experience was limited to cartridge game clone systems (Columbia something).

I think the first graphical PC game we had was Where in the World is Carmen San Diego, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, this is wildly off topic 😂

Reactions: Medic007
Notice I said ‘PC’ gamers. 😁

My Atari experience was limited to cartridge game clone systems (Columbia something).

I think the first graphical PC game we had was Where in the World is Carmen San Diego, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, this is wildly off topic 😂
We had the Atari 400 "computer." You could program in Atari BASIC which was hilarious.

I can't remember what our first graphical PC game was. We had so much pirated stuff it's hard to remember them all, lol.

We had the Atari 400 "computer." You could program in Atari BASIC which was hilarious.

I can't remember what our first graphical PC game was. We had so much pirated stuff it's hard to remember them all, lol.
That was my first computer back in the very early 80s. It was an Atari 660. Had a 5-1/4 floppy drive and a cartridge player for games (although a different format than the 2600 that was around at that time). Its where I learned to program in Basic trying to write a ZORK like game.

My first game on it was called F-15 Strike Eagle and it included a bombing run against Libya. The front side of the Floppy was for Commodore 64 machines, whereas the backside of the floppy fit the Atari.

You mean like Zork? Loved that game.

My memory is so bad I doubt I could recall what any of them were called. I just remember spending hours playing games off floppies that made beeps and boops on the internal speaker and used those weird ASCII symbols to try and construct graphics.

My memory is so bad I doubt I could recall what any of them were called. I just remember spending hours playing games off floppies that made beeps and boops on the internal speaker and used those weird ASCII symbols to try and construct graphics.
Games like ADOM were very popular in that genre. I played a MUDD (the true precursor to today's MMOs) called Island of Kesmai back when I got my internet through Compuserve. Back when you paid for internet service by the hour.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
My first computer was the Commodore 64. My first computer language was the C64 version of Basic. I had the tape drive for backup before I eventually got a 5.25. I had a modem for it that I got from Service Merchandise. I took the 64 with me to college. I dialed into the schools VAX machine with a whopping 300 baud. That allowed me to program in Fortran 77( my second programing language,) have my program printed out and waiting for me in one of the engineering buildings.

Games like ADOM were very popular in that genre. I played a MUDD (the true precursor to today's MMOs) called Island of Kesmai back when I got my internet through Compuserve. Back when you paid for internet service by the hour.
Got internet via vax and the lynx browser. Later was able to use the graphical Netscape but it was very slow over my 56K modem I had for my PC. School late offered us free dial up via some third party national company whose name now escapes me. I had to pay upon graduation and kept that until I went to work for a regional dial up ISP. I got 2 phone lines paid for by the employer and bonded them

Before WWW we had Archie, Veronica, Telnet, Usenet, FTP, Gopher ..etc

I remember accessing IMDB via servers from Mississippi State. IMDB started on USENET.

I still use USENET to this day. Napster came and went but USENET remains. Its been going strong since 1980.

I have had email since 1987.

Got internet via vax and the lynx browser. Later was able to use the graphical Netscape but it was very slow over my 56K modem I had for my PC. School late offered us free dial up via some third party national company whose name now escapes me. I had to pay upon graduation and kept that until I went to work for a regional dial up ISP. I got 2 phone lines paid for by the employer and bonded them

Before WWW we had Archie, Veronica, Telnet, Usenet, FTP, Gopher ..etc

I remember accessing IMDB via servers from Mississippi State. IMDB started on USENET.

I still use USENET to this day. Napster came and went but USENET remains. Its been going strong since 1980.

I have had email since 1987.
Did you prefer Pine or Elm for your email client?

What regional dial up did you work for if you don't mind me asking? I worked for ioNet back in the 90s which was the largest local ISP in Oklahoma. We were doing DSL back then over SW Bell alarm loop dry pairs. SWB would charge $5/mo for the alarm loop line, and as long as you were within a mile of your telco box, we could run a DSL signal over it. Could get you 900k dedicated to your house several years before Cox started offering cable modems.

That was my first computer back in the very early 80s. It was an Atari 660. Had a 5-1/4 floppy drive and a cartridge player for games (although a different format than the 2600 that was around at that time). Its where I learned to program in Basic trying to write a ZORK like game.

My first game on it was called F-15 Strike Eagle and it included a bombing run against Libya. The front side of the Floppy was for Commodore 64 machines, whereas the backside of the floppy fit the Atari.
Played that. That was a realy good game for the times. Other games early on Castle Wolfenstien, Kings Quest, and Doom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT