ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts while rewatching the game

wlsn

Heisman Candidate
Dec 31, 2008
JD King gives away the direction of the play with his eyes. A couple of times they showed JD right before the snap and he was looking directly where the play was getting ready to go. Someone should tell him to stop doing that.

I think part of the reason we didn't get much in the deep passing game is because it seemed like MSU was overcompensating to prevent the deep play. Safeties and LBs were dropping very deep on pass plays to not give up the deep stuff. That's part of the reason why we had so much gained on check downs and QB runs, because there was tons of room underneath.

Brailford was in the QBs face all game long. He only got 1 sack but he was in the backfield alot.

On MSU's first 3rd down play, the stunt on the DL to get Trey Carter the sack was a thing of beauty. Bundage attacks the inside hip of the LT and takes him and the LG out. Carter looped around completely untouched for an easy sack. I mentioned this in my summer post about BDJK's defense. He creates lanes to get pressure to the QB with only 4 rushers. That is a big advantage for the defense when you can keep 7 in coverage.

Cornelius played very hesitant. He wound up to throw and didn't on numerous occasions. He was clearly second guessing himself on things. In the same vein, he seems like a guy that has to see the receiver open before he will throw it. He didn't really anticipate any throws. He only threw the ball to players that he saw were open. The only one he really tried to anticipate was when he threw the INT in the endzone.

I loved that we went for that 4th and 1 early in the game without hesitation. That is a Bob Stitt thing to do.

I think Landon Wolf might be the best at doing something with the ball on the WR screen pass. He is quick enough to make a guy miss and get up field for a good chunk of yards.

I loved the reverse down at the goalline. I would personally run it to Tyron but I loved the play call.

MSU's longest run by a running back was 5 yards. That is pretty dominant.

The first time the game broadcast showed Jim Knowles on the screen it wasn't him, it was just the back of some other old guys' head. I was cracking up.

It felt like our DL absolutely dominated the first quarter and then BDJK dialed back some of the pressure so the rest of the defense could get some practice in the 2nd quarter. I don't have anything to verify this theory, it is just how it felt by watching how the DL played.

Defensive pursuit on the wide running plays, option plays, and QB sweep run plays was very very good.

The officiating crew was SO slow to make calls. They need to clean that up and pick up the pace.

I know Cornelius had a good stat line but he missed some terribly easy passes and made some other throws that were really bad. He hung Hubbard out to dry on the swing pass when the defender got ejected for targeting. He overthrew Stoner at least twice on flag routes that were wide open. He overthrew him so bad I don't even know if he got a hand on the ball. He short hopped Wallace early in the game. He horribly overthrew McCleskey when he had a 5 yard lead on the guy covering him. Both times MSU jumped offsides and he threw the fade, the pass ended up about 5 yards out of bounds. He overthrew Stoner on a post in the endzone. He threw way behind Wallace on a crossing route. He grossly underthrew Wallace deep over the middle that should have been intercepted. He grossly underthrew Stoner on a play that should have been a TD but instead drew a PI call on the defense because the ball was underthrown so badly.

Corn can sure zip the ball though. The ball comes out of his hand hot and flies with good trajectory on everything except for when he has to put some air under the ball.

I thought Rodriguez played the best of the safeties. I felt like he was the most consistent. Thabo and KEM both had some really good plays but they also had some pretty big busts. I don't remember seeing any major busts out of Rodriguez but I could be wrong.

Corn did a really good job of extending plays with his legs. Sometimes he would extend and make a pass (he rolled out right and threw a pass to Wallace who drew a PI and he rolled out left and threw a TD back across the field to McCleskey) and other times he would just take off running. This was a major bright spot IMO.

Bundage and Phillips led us in tackles. That is such a good feeling to type that. Since 2011 we have only been led in tackling by an LB one time and that was Lavey in 2013. Think about that. That is 7 seasons where the leading tackler is not an LB (I think it was a safety that led us each time). In the old style of defense, that meant that the offensive players were getting to the third level of our defense ALOT. Bundage and Phillips should lead us in tackles this season.

Brock Martin made some nice plays. He looks like he can be a contributor this year but he is still probably another offseason away from being a major contributor. He needs to keep doing squats.

The MSU QB was pretty damn good. He had some really nice runs. He made some really nice passes. He led them in passing (clearly) and rushing. I remember one play in the 3rd quarter where he had multiple pass rushers in his face and he made a fade away pass to the left WR on a slant route that was perfectly placed. The pass was incomplete because Rodarius had incredible coverage. But he put the ball in the only place that it could be caught.

There is an argument to be made that if you knew nothing about OSU football and you watched our game against MSU, you would think that Chuba Hubbard is our best offensive football player. With his runs, his reception that he turned into an electric TD, and his big kick return, he had a pretty nice showing and looked as good as anyone in that game. (clearly I remember that Justice had a 93 yard run)

They ran the RB wheel route out of the back field 3 times I think. They completed it twice. Both times the LB was slow to recognize it. I think this is coachable/fixable. Those guys just need more reps recognizing it. The good thing is we have it to practice now because OU and UT both run plays like that. So, I am glad we had it happen to us against MSU so we can be better prepared for it in bigger games.

Barring injury, Hubbard is going to have a legit shot at a Heisman trophy. He is very good right now and he is going to add more muscle. He'll end up at 215-220lbs with sprinter speed. But the thing about him is he has "feel". He exhibits the nuance of good pace, setting up blockers, setting up tacklers, etc. He has good hands so he will be a 3 down type of player. He will have a real shot at being a top 10 pick when it is all said and done.

The deep backup OL of Galloway, Joubert, Schneider, Kegel, and Reed did a pretty dang good job of opening holes for LD and Haymaker. Those guys have some development potential and we have a bunch of young OL. It is going to get better and better over the next few years. Reed and Schneider are freaking walkons that look like serviceable backups. Henson is going to help take this program to a new level on offense.

LD Brown turned on the jets on his long TD run. Galloway, Joubert, Abbott and walkon WR Korie Frausto paved the way for LD to show off his speed. If you go watch LD's Jr. year highlight <linked here> the very first play is a play that is pretty similar to the TD he had last night. Pretty incredible really. I mentioned in another thread that LD looked leaner this year. He had a big breakaway against Tulsa last year where he looked bulky and slower and he got caught before he made it to the end zone. When he broke out on this TD I thought he was going to get caught like he did last year. He didn't. He is leaner, faster, and more powerful. In the replay from behind the play you can see he had flat sprinter hands when he opened it up down the home stretch. He looked FAST. He is a legit contributor at RB for this team. We are a legit 4 deep at RB IMO which is a good thing because guys inevitably get dinged up during the season.

The backup defense looked good. We have ALWAYS given up TDs by the backup defense under Spencer. Not this time. Kolby Peel looked really good. KEM better watch out. Michael Scott looked good. I love Amen and Harper at LB. Those guys are big, fast and mean. These 2nd teamers were making audibles when the offense was audibling. That is great coaching. That is after only one offseason. Imagine what it is going to be like in a few years when recruits actually want to come play in this defense, they get this great coaching, and they have an offense across from them that is killer. Things are going to get fun boys and girls.

Haymaker's longest run was twice as long as the longest run by an MSU RB in that game.

Not sure who #32 Givens is but he had a sick one-on-one tackle on a punt return after a YUGE McClure punt. Again, good coaching when the end of the bench exhibits sound fundamentals.

What a great sequence of plays for Za'Carrius Green. He chases the QB down from behind on a huge QB run play. Then turns around on the next play and recovers the fumble on the low snap. That is why you ****ing hustle boys and girls. Replay that tape 100 times. Play as hard as you can til the whistle blows because you don't know what the next snap holds.

Wudtee played a damn good game for a guy that noone gives a shit about. He made some good throws. (e.g. Brayden Jonhson has to lay out for that TD catch). On 3rd and 1, he played with poise when he juggled the snap, then pump faked #52 like VY pump faked Donovan Woods, juked #22 like an RB, and then ran for a first down. He may never be a high level D1 QB but he was fun to watch last night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News