ADVERTISEMENT

This Is Us

My wife loves it. I have caught portions of episodes when she is watching it while I am reading. It looks like a winner. Might need to catch up in the off season.

This week's episode was killer.

Someone is always cutting onions in my house when that show is on.

I probably never would have started it if not for the wife, but it is one of my favorites now.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
My wife loves it. I have caught portions of episodes when she is watching it while I am reading. It looks like a winner. Might need to catch up in the off season.

I'm in the same boat. I can't even have 99% of what my wife watches on the in the background but from what I've seen of this it is pretty good.

Same here .. Tuned in after the wife watched a couple episodes .. I caught up and have been watching since. Good show so far

Wife and I have been watching, very well put together show. I thought we were going to get the fathers death details damnit lol

Reactions: TheRedSon
In one of the earlier episodes I thought there were allusions to him being a cop at some point and to being an alcoholic. I thought I remembered him carrying a gun or something. Anyway, certainly some foreshadowing on the alcoholism.

Reactions: TheRedSon
In one of the earlier episodes I thought there were allusions to him being a cop at some point and to being an alcoholic. I thought I remembered him carrying a gun or something. Anyway, certainly some foreshadowing on the alcoholism.

Spoilers

Definitely an alcholic.

He's been sober since the kids were 8 though (up until this last episode).

There have been theories that he died on 9/11 (kids would be 21), but I think they were in high school.

If there is a gun involved I'm afraid it's suicide. I'm currently leaning toward car wreck or traumatic cardiac event though. I'm guessing Kate was present for whatever (although it could be all three). I also think it's going to happen either immediately after the events of this past episode or while she's on tour.

It's already been renewed for 2 more seasons. I'm afraid we may not learn (for sure) what happened this season.

It's already been renewed for 2 more seasons. I'm afraid we may not learn (for sure) what happened this season.

Maybe not.

I do think we'll get Kate's perspective at least. She'll have to tell Toby soon.

I could see them revealing other aspects in later seasons though.

Wife and I have been watching, very well put together show. I thought we were going to get the fathers death details damnit lol

Just my theory but I think the bread crumbs are leading us this way.

He death is connected to the 1996 Super Bowl between the Cowboys and Steelers. He died during the game (heart attack) or the day of (drunk driving).

The bread crumbs:

The triplets were conceived on during or after the 1980 Superbowl in a makeup victory bathroom sex encounter.

Kate said she stop watching the Super Bowl after or because of her fathers death.

She didn't watch again until the Steelers were back in it in Superbowl in 2006 when she watched with her dad.

We now know she watches all the Steelers games with her Dad (his ashes)

Something horrible happen to make her stop watching.

She connects the Steelers and the SuperBowl to her Dad and most likely his death.

When they showed the funeral scenes the kids where teenagers. They would have been 15 1/2 in January 1996. (Born 8/31/80). 2001 is too late.

Reactions: OSUIvan
I think the season finale will feature the deaths of William and Jack. That's what the whole season has been leading up to.

Agreed. I could not remember what year the Steelers were in the Super Bowl in the 90's other than I was in high school (I'm one year older than the Big 3).

1996 makes sense. The thought that that Super Bowl would be connected with Jack's death crossed my mind just today though. My wife put me onto the 9/11 theories and I thought that was too late. Jack hasn't even taught them to drive yet, and they are all still stuck in patterns they probably should have overcome with parents as good as Jack and Rebecca.

Also, Miguel has to be single when Jack dies, and he is available right now.

I agree the season finale will show the deaths of Jack and William. It will complete the 36th birthday arc we are on. The Big 3 were born on Jack's 36th birthday. The first episode is their 36th birthday. Kate met Toby, who just asked about Jack's death. Randall found and confronted his father, who is now very near his own death. I am drawing blanks on what hurdle Kevin will have to clear...

EDIT - Maybe "Jack Pearson's Son" has to commit to being a husband/father. He has been Peter Pan for a while, and his growth arc is moving that direction. He was family to someone other than Kate and his nieces for the first time in these last two episodes.

Reactions: FMPoke
Well Kevin does have the minor issue that he walked out on opening night of the play that was going to make him a serious actor one minute before it started.

I think there's a missing piece regarding Miguel that's yet to be revealed. At this point Miguel is the one character that just doesn't seem to fit. Why all the animosity toward him by the kids twenty years after their fathers death. Did he and Rebecca have an affair? It's been made clear from day one that he has the hots for her. Was he somehow involved in Jacks death?

This is one of those shows I would have never watched without my GF. I'm glad she recommended we watch it.

Wife and I love the show too. She normally is reaching for the tissue at the 45 minute mark or every episode.

I think Kate had to have somehow been entwined with Jack's death. I can't imagine what else would make her unable to speak on it.

The characters are so richly drawn and the drama is real. Life is messy and this show, I think, projects it in a real way. I don't know if it will always stay this strong, but it's seriously one of the best network television shows I can remember.

Well Kevin does have the minor issue that he walked out on opening night of the play that was going to make him a serious actor one minute before it started.

Yes, but he's gone 36 and a half years without ever being as good a man as he was in that moment. Not one member of their family would predict Kevin would be the one to notice that Randall was seriously flying off the edge, and none of the rest of them did.

That was my favorite part of that episode. Kevin stopping to see mom and getting Miguel instead. Miguel being a solid (for only the second time we've seen I think) and showing Kevin just how clearly he is Jack's son... Kevin has never been less selfish or more centered than he was after that convrsation, which made it possible to think beyond the moment when the play started.

As to his career... I think they've all done serious damage to their careers (life happens), and that may be a big part of season 2.

Reactions: FMPoke
New theory on Jack's death:

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/02/141702/jack-died-plane-crash-1994-this-is-us

Plane crash but not 911. I actually think this one a little too soon in the timeline. It hard to tell but I thought the scenes we've already seen with the older kids were beyond 1994. They would just have turned 14 in September, 1994 and they appeared to be in high school at the time of the football fight not to mention Kevin and Sophia teenage sex.

Reactions: OSUIvan
New theory on Jack's death:

http://www.refinery29.com/2017/02/141702/jack-died-plane-crash-1994-this-is-us

Plane crash but not 911. I actually think this one a little too soon in the timeline. It hard to tell but I thought the scenes we've already seen with the older kids were beyond 1994. They would just have turned 14 in September, 1994 and they appeared to be in high school at the time of the football fight not to mention Kevin and Sophia teenage sex.

I agree, that year has got to be wrong.

Not seen it. Not planning on watching it. I hear it plays on emotion. Not into touchy feely stuff.

Never heard of it.
giphy.gif

ssdEOpV.gif

Great episode tonight. Maybe the best yet. Was not expecting William to die. Thought that would be in the season finale.

Gees... that was a fantastic episode.

My wife used to work in hospice. I think that episode was about as great a "go with dignity" story as I've had the chance to watch.

I will seriously kill whoever is cutting onions in my house when I catch them!

What really struck me immediately after the episode was how present Jack's character felt in an episode where we saw him only a few seconds in a flashback. They do such a good job connecting tiny details in this show... a few examples from this episode... making a big deal out of Randall making his bed, Randall's description of Jack's laugh when asked to describe his father (then remember William's response when Olivia asked him what it was like to be dying and he immediately mentions Randall's laugh), the fire truck among William's "treasures" (William likes fire stations)... there was a moment during the music scenes when I realized the tapes Randall went to Philly to get for William were probably full of his cousin singing with the band...

I still think the pilot might be the best episode, but the last two have been very strong.

No story. The General Manager of the NBC station is a friend and she was trying to get me to come to Memphis for the recording of the episode.

It was a really good episode, and had live music that probably would have been a blast to be present for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT