ADVERTISEMENT

Things I Never Got Into

This could be the most revealing thread of all time. You can learn a lot about people by what they do and don't do in their spare time.

Many great answers I wish I'd thought of before I posted.

Hunting/Guns
Cars
Technology(Don't really care what cell phone or laptop I have)
TV series- Don't think I have ever watched a series, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones etc.
Roller Coasters
IPA's-GREAT nomination earlier ^^^

• Religion
  • Weed
  • NASCAR
  • Rodeo
  • Sooners
  • Noodling
  • Deer Hunting
  • Water Skiing
Basically about half the things that make Oklahoma Oklahoma...

After reading some other threads here and the politics board I need to add:
  • Trump
  • Big Brother
They seem to be slightly different takes on the new narcissism that is America.

Reactions: Bitter Creek
Don't take it personal. Some of these things are probably near and dear to your heart, a foundational part of your personality. Off the top of my head:

Video Games
We had some kind of down-scale pong when I was very young, that we played on our console tube Curtis Mathes TV. But I was never privileged enough to progress to an Atari, etc. I got my ass kicked any time I hung out with my video game playing friends, so I never got into it.

Comic Books and Super-Hero Movies
I see, maybe on average, 1.5 super hero movies per year. Mostly during the summer, mid-week matinee. They're OK. Whatever.

Quoting Rap Lyrics at Length
I really like hip-hop history. There's always that one dude who starts ripping multiple lines from classic albums. Not that dude.

Pool
I can fake it for a couple of shots, but that's it.

Card Games, Including Poker
My grandma knew every card game ever conceived. Too bored/ADD to pick it up. Never got into the poker thing.

Gambling, Minus Long Stretches using a Bookie
I go to Vegas, I just want to people watch and drink. I enjoyed betting on NCAA and NFL football back in the day, back before the Internet when you had a phone number to call.

Golf
I've played a few times. I think I could get into it someday, if I had disposable time and money.

Hanging Out at the Lake
Sitting in the sun at Kaw Lake or Keystone drinking cheap beer just never did it for me, even back when I enjoyed cheap beer. I do like to fish, however.

Harry Potter/LOTR
I've read a few passages of both, and seen several of the movies, both in part and full. Meh. Probably because I didn't read this kinda stuff growing up. I read historical choose-your-own-adventures, National Geographic, and the 1975 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica my dad had in his study. Nerd alert.

Smoking (Cigarettes)
I tried it for a few weeks in my 20s. Didn't take. I like cigars, and would smoke green weekly if it were legal (just not worth the trouble at this point in my life).

Skateboarding
Growing up in the 80s, I wanted a skateboard SO BAD. All my "city" (Enid) friends had one. But what the hell was I going to do with one on the farm? Ride it on the 10x10 concrete slab in our barn?

Boy Scouts
Had ample opportunity to run around in the woods, thanks.

We a scary similar in this regard. I do like the lake and sometimes have a blast playing pool.

After reading some other threads here and the politics board I need to add:
  • Trump
  • Big Brother
They seem to be slightly different takes on the new narcissism that is America.

I am now with you on Trump I am so over that guy and the thought he will be better then a "bought politician".

The Big Brother comment and sparked my interest. Could you expand on why you think it is narcissism?

Reactions: davidallen
That people are willing to live on camera - full time - that they are so interesting that it would make good TV - damned if some people don't like it.

Reactions: Bitter Creek
That people are willing to live on camera - full time - that they are so interesting that it would make good TV - damned if some people don't like it.

Oh gotcha. Ya every year at least 80% of the cast expects to become famous from the show also. When in reality I can't think of anyone who hit big and became what I would call famous.

Just an update.

My kid got the box set of Lord of the Rings on DVD for Christmas, and it was freaking awesome. I'm definitely into it. Now, should we go for Harry potter?

Reactions: davidallen
Just an update.

My kid got the box set of Lord of the Rings on DVD for Christmas, and it was freaking awesome. I'm definitely into it. Now, should we go for Harry potter?
At the prompting of SEVERAL people, I watched the first one. It was ok. Watched the second one. Not much better. Once I start on a series of anything, TV or movies, I see it all the way through. Unless some majorly compelling story lines develop, I'm not sure how good the Harry Potter series is going to get.

Don't take it personal. Some of these things are probably near and dear to your heart, a foundational part of your personality. Off the top of my head:

Video Games
We had some kind of down-scale pong when I was very young, that we played on our console tube Curtis Mathes TV. But I was never privileged enough to progress to an Atari, etc. I got my ass kicked any time I hung out with my video game playing friends, so I never got into it.

Comic Books and Super-Hero Movies
I see, maybe on average, 1.5 super hero movies per year. Mostly during the summer, mid-week matinee. They're OK. Whatever.

Quoting Rap Lyrics at Length
I really like hip-hop history. There's always that one dude who starts ripping multiple lines from classic albums. Not that dude.

Pool
I can fake it for a couple of shots, but that's it.

Card Games, Including Poker
My grandma knew every card game ever conceived. Too bored/ADD to pick it up. Never got into the poker thing.

Gambling, Minus Long Stretches using a Bookie
I go to Vegas, I just want to people watch and drink. I enjoyed betting on NCAA and NFL football back in the day, back before the Internet when you had a phone number to call.

Golf
I've played a few times. I think I could get into it someday, if I had disposable time and money.

Hanging Out at the Lake
Sitting in the sun at Kaw Lake or Keystone drinking cheap beer just never did it for me, even back when I enjoyed cheap beer. I do like to fish, however.

Harry Potter/LOTR
I've read a few passages of both, and seen several of the movies, both in part and full. Meh. Probably because I didn't read this kinda stuff growing up. I read historical choose-your-own-adventures, National Geographic, and the 1975 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica my dad had in his study. Nerd alert.

Smoking (Cigarettes)
I tried it for a few weeks in my 20s. Didn't take. I like cigars, and would smoke green weekly if it were legal (just not worth the trouble at this point in my life).

Skateboarding
Growing up in the 80s, I wanted a skateboard SO BAD. All my "city" (Enid) friends had one. But what the hell was I going to do with one on the farm? Ride it on the 10x10 concrete slab in our barn?

Boy Scouts
Had ample opportunity to run around in the woods, thanks.
1. Game of Thrones - What is it?
2. NBA
3. Fixer Upper on HGTV. Hey Chip and Joanna! Just shut the hell up already. You Baylor-loving, cockroach eating psychos!
4. Hunting
5. Cats
6. Bacon on my cheeseburger
7. Any wild game meat

Breaking Bad - just does not interest me.
The Walking Dead - I don't like zombie flicks.
Twitter - I used to think reading minds would be awesome. Not so much.
IPA's - I can drink one here or there but I do not enjoy them
Juicing - Waste of time
Body wash - I prefer a good old fashioned bar of soap
Frozen Yogurt - It's good but nothing special to rave about
Gelato - See above
Coldplay - They suck
Reality TV - I despise it and I think it increases the want to be ignorant.
NASCAR - gag
The beach - really just the ocean in general
MMA - don't give a damn about who is fighting or watching one second of it

Reality TV
Rap - All sounds the same to me
Facebook - Believe it or not, do not want to tell people "no", value my privacy, and don't care what people ate for supper
Twitter - I'm as interested in what people randomly say as they would be me
MMA, UFC...Don't enjoy watching people beat the wazoo out of each other
Modern Country Music - See rap reason
Expensive Clothes - Penny's is fine with me
Anything Materialistic

But message boards are ok?
Message boards are more discussion, twitter gets a lot of the "here at such and such or just ate at such and such, wanna hear about my dog and how great my kids are?" Too much to wade through. I'm here because I like OSU sports and information.

Message boards are more discussion, twitter gets a lot of the "here at such and such or just ate at such and such, wanna hear about my dog and how great my kids are?" Too much to wade through. I'm here because I like OSU sports and information.
Twitter is the best source of information out there. You are using it wrong if you think Twitter is how you described.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Oh, yeah, beagle. Sorry. I knew it was one of those worthless breeds, and she does look like she's put on weight. Good of you to keep her in game-day attire.

really some nice insight...great lists. Can only think of a few others...
1. Sushi
2. any bird as a pet
3. Learning French

Makers Mark

I love most whisky but that stuff sucks.

This post is funny to read now. My soon to be brother in law drew my name at Christmas and got me a bottle of Makers Mark among some other things. I'm not gonna let booze go to waste so I drank it all (1 or 2 cubes max) and it really grew on me. I don't know if I'd run out to buy it but I enjoyed it.

This is a great thread. I'll continue.

Golf - I didn't play growing up (thanks a lot Dad) and first started playing in college and I really really tried to get decent in my 20s too, took lessons, played every weekend, the whole thing. Then one day I realized that I would get bored with it and it wasn't worth the money. I'd rather just go mash some softballs at the park for an hour or so, take my dogs on a long bikeride, etc. then dedicate the majority of my Saturday on a regular basis to a round of golf. I'd love to play every now and then but with two boys actively involved in multiple sports year round and another boy due in April I'm lucky to get one free Saturday or Sunday a season. I don't know how any father of young children that play sports has time to play golf.

Video games - They probably lowered my GPA half a point in college but I haven't touched them in almost 10 years. I just don't have the time for it and the spare time that I do get in the evenings I'd rather spend it reading, watching a good movie/show, or drinking beer while tinkering around in the garage so I can get away from everyone. (I need a man cave obviously)

Small dogs - I told my wife that the day she or the kids brings home a dog I can easily pick up with one hand is the day I leave her. Yah yah, I'm sure there are some cool ones but the majority are expensive inbred rats that run all over the furniture and yip at everything that moves.

Twitter - was on it for years but with talk radio, podcasts, this board, etc. I'm eventually gonna' hear about whatever it is and thenI can dig into it if it interests me. Any information I absolutely need immediately such as family or work I won't be getting from Twitter. .

MMA - it was a lot cooler when they brought fat black belts off the street

Walking Dead - my 7 yr old is really into zombies too, he and his friends kill zombies all over my neighborhood with their Nerf guns

Bagels - Wife and kids love Einstein Bagels. What kind of man eats a f'n bagel for breakfast unless it's his only option? Eggs, hot sauce, bacon, coffee. I'll pass on the giant serving of highly refined white bread empty calories slathered in cream cheese.

Reality TV

Home remodeling - I mow my own yard and will do anything outdoors but I hate being stuck inside the house remodeling. I do it myself because I'm cheap, but I hate it. I'm dreading working on the nursery when I get home as I type this.

Poker - can't sit still for 10 minutes, not gonna' happen

Starbucks - does it tear anyone else's gut up?

Lord of the Rings

Facebook - left in 2007 or so and I haven't regretted it for one second. Hearing my wife talk about what she reads/sees on it only reinforces my decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThorOdinson13
  • Weed- never tried it
  • NASCAR- hate it
  • Sooners- hate em
  • Noodling- no thanks
  • Water Skiing- hurts my knees
  • Snakes- freak me out
  • Starbucks- no thanks
  • Video Games and comics- these go hand and hand I feel like
  • Driving fast- no need I had a first gen Camaro and just liked to cruise
  • GOT or the one about meth- don't have time
  • Bro country- nuff said
  • Bullets when posting..... this is difficult

Twitter is the best source of information out there. You are using it wrong if you think Twitter is how you described.
Actually, it's more of not wanting to follow. A lot of what I've seen some try to be all philosophical and wanting to give advice, between the informative things they may say. I feel the time I would spend on FB or twitter can be put to better use elsewhere.

Just an update.

Another update:

We DVR'd the Harry Potter franchise movies and my two oldest kids love it. Still I have no interest in Dr. Who.

Agree on Dr. Who. I'm a sci fi/fantasy geek, so it seems like it would be right in my wheelhouse, but I watched a few episodes and have never been able to get into it.

The Harry Potter movies are great if you haven't read the books. As a big fan of the books, I find them to be a bit lacking.

wine
cooking
nba, mlb, soccer
drag racing
reality tv of almost any sort unless its educational in some way (building shows, mining shows)
professional networking
cats
small dogs (except corgies)
religion
camping
phone calls
theatre - opera -ballet

Actually, it's more of not wanting to follow. A lot of what I've seen some try to be all philosophical and wanting to give advice, between the informative things they may say. I feel the time I would spend on FB or twitter can be put to better use elsewhere.

You are describing facebook perfectly. It blows. Twitter is whatever you make it though. I purposely don't follow friends, coworkers or relatives on twitter. Their drama, BS, and food pics can stay on facebook. Twitter is just for me to follow people that interest me or report on things that interest me.

All you peeps hating on cars, and motorsports in general surprise me. Almost nothing feels better to me than spending time with friends working on a vehicle, then going out and kicking other peoples butts at the track, or wheeling your ass off, or just appreciating the design and engineering talent visible in some of the most beautiful machines ever made.

I can understand the guy that replaces human body parts not being interested in it, but the rest of ya?

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT