ADVERTISEMENT

'They've done a great job': Why Mike Gundy says Oklahoma State's offense has been better than believed

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

'They've done a great job': Why Mike Gundy says Oklahoma State's offense has been better than believed​

Jacob Unruh

STILLWATER — Oklahoma State offensive coordinator Kasey Dunn wasn’t hiding his grin as he sat down at the plastic folding table Saturday night.

“Feels good. Dallas,” Dunn said.

The Cowboys’ defense dominated again in a 23-0 shutout of Texas Tech to clinch the program’s first Big 12 championship game appearance. And the offense appeared to do just enough.

But digging deeper, the offense is more than a complimentary piece.

The Cowboys lead the Big 12 in total offense and rushing offense during conference play, according to OSU’s Stats and Information. They are also third in scoring offense.

It’s not the 2011 Cowboys that could score in bunches at will. But it doesn’t have to be.

“Statistically, nobody’s going to like it,” OSU coach Mike Gundy said on Monday. “I’m guessing people aren’t happy with points and scoring and production or whatever. But he’s in his second year here and we had some issues last year. This year, we had issues through the first three or four games that were somewhat unfair, but it is what it is.

“We’ve started to put together some numbers that look more like what we have here in the past.”

Injuries plagued the offense in September — nearly the entire receiver’s room was decimated and two running backs suffered early injuries. The offensive line has had its own bumps and bruises. Even Spencer Sanders missed the opener.

That’s why Dunn and his staff’s work is even more impressive.

“My job is to evaluate things based on what I know for a fact are, not what people or statistics might say,” Gundy said. “So, that staff has done a great job. Not just a good job, they’ve done a great job, in manufacturing enough ways to get yards, time of possession and points to allow our defense to play fantastic and special teams to play really good to win games.”

Malcolm Rodriguez comes up short for award​

OSU linebacker Malcolm Rodriguez enters Saturday as one the top linebackers in the country, especially statistically.

He’s in the top 25 nationally for tackles, solo tackles, forced fumbles and fumbles recovered. But he won’t have a chance at winning the Butkus Award, given annually to the nation’s top linebacker.

Rodriguez was not one of five finalists announced Monday.

“I don’t think there’s any question if you would look at how much he’s produced and what he’s done and look at his numbers and just watch him on video, that he should be there,” Gundy said. “I don’t know who votes on that. He’s a pretty productive player.”

Rodriguez, a super-senior from Wagoner, is graded as the No. 4 overall linebacker in the country (with a minimum of 100 snaps in the FBS) by Pro Football Focus’ analytics, trailing only Butkus finalists Nakobe Dean of Georgia, Leo Chenal of Wisconsin and Devin Lloyd of Utah.

Rodriguez took the news well, though.

“It’s the sheer love of the game, the support and love from family, friends, and fans that fuel my performance,” he tweeted. “Accolades are and always have been secondary. Cowboy up! Much love, MRod! #GoPokes”

Offensive health update​

Gundy did not have an update on the status of several Cowboys dealing with injuries.

Center Danny Godlevske and tight end Braden Cassity did not play at Texas Tech. Left guard Josh Sills played through an injury after his backup Tyrese Williams suffered an injury. Receiver Brennan Presley, tight end Logan Carter and running back Jaylen Warren were limited.

The offensive line injuries are a big concern, especially with an OU defensive front coming to Stillwater that just had seven sacks against Iowa State.

“They have a good pass rush anyway,” Gundy said. “There’s a perception out there with certain teams every year and if there’s not overwhelming wins then people get a taste in their mouth not as good as what they would want it to be, but they’ve still played really well on defense.”

Blaine Green, the Cowboy back?

Freshman receiver Blaine Green has given the Cowboys’ offense a new wrinkle as a possible tight end.

The 6-foot-1, 218-pound true freshman has been involved as a Cowboy back at times lately, primarily lining up as a traditional tight end, not in the backfield as a blocker.

“There’s just different things we can do with him,” Gundy said.

Gundy compared Green to former Cowboys receiver Tracy Moore, who was 6-2 and 215 pounds.

And there’s a chance Green could grow into a full-time tight end.

“If he gets to 230 pounds, I would say that he would be playing inside a lot,” Gundy said. “There’s some things we can do with him inside.”

OSU vs. Texas Tech football: Tay Martin sets a career mark as a Cowboy & more notable numbers

Ham or turkey? Gundy has a favorite​

Gundy is a big fan of Thanksgiving. But does he prefer turkey or ham?

Blaine Green, the Cowboy back?

Freshman receiver Blaine Green has given the Cowboys’ offense a new wrinkle as a possible tight end.

The 6-foot-1, 218-pound true freshman has been involved as a Cowboy back at times lately, primarily lining up as a traditional tight end, not in the backfield as a blocker.

“There’s just different things we can do with him,” Gundy said.

Gundy compared Green to former Cowboys receiver Tracy Moore, who was 6-2 and 215 pounds.

And there’s a chance Green could grow into a full-time tight end.

“If he gets to 230 pounds, I would say that he would be playing inside a lot,” Gundy said. “There’s some things we can do with him inside.”

Ham or turkey? Gundy has a favorite​

Gundy is a big fan of Thanksgiving. But does he prefer turkey or ham?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News