ADVERTISEMENT

The Wire - opinion?

Yep.

You identified 1A and 1B right off the bat.

Agreed. I did not watch either when they were on the air but watched both of them within the last year.

Those are in my top 5 probably. I liked Sopranos better than both and I've watched all 3 all the way through at least twice. If you're including ALL types of TV shows I'd have to put Seinfeld above your two as well.

A couple years ago the Writer's Guild of America voted their top 101 TV shows of all time and I believe all 4 were in the top 10-15 with Sopranos being #1.

Really liked the first season, held it through the second and third season pretty well, faded big time after that. Never finished the last season. I watched it probably 3-4 years after the series ended rather than when it was on.

Not in my top 20 TV series. For reference, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Dexter, Lost are some of my favorites from the last decade or so.

Really liked the first season, held it through the second and third season pretty well, faded big time after that. Never finished the last season. I watched it probably 3-4 years after the series ended rather than when it was on.

Not in my top 20 TV series. For reference, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Dexter, Lost are some of my favorites from the last decade or so.
I agree .. 1st 3 seasons were really really good - great and are always mentioned when I talk about the best series .. after season 3 good but not really good - to great

Of course I saw them a long time ago and should probably revisit

Dexter and Walking Dead over the Wire? Dexter was never as good as the wire and faded a lot more than the wire did. Dexter was a complete and utter mess by the end.

Last edited:
I couldn't get into Dexter (tried for 2 seasons) but the 5th and final season of the Wire was half crap, a big blemish to the show. You can't say the Sopranos or BB truly had a bad or even mediocre season. The whole staged serial killer thing and investigation with McNulty was laughable.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Surprised people didn't like the 4th season of The Wire, it seems like the one where they did what they were aiming to do the best. I think David Simon was too angry at the Sun to do a good job with season 5.

Dexter and Walking Dead over the Wire? Dexter was never as good as the wire and faded a lot more than the wire did. Dexter was a complete and utter mess by the end.
Yep, without a doubt better for me. I felt obligated to keep pushing through the Wire and couldn't make it. I wanted to keep watching Dexter and it kept me interested and wanting more. Sure, I think there was better directions to take Dexter at the end, but I still cared about it. Like I said, the Wire faded for me even though I was watching the episodes more or less daily. Obviously just my opinion though since many people put it in their top 10 and I don't.

First two season were really good. Maybe even the third they run together at this point. At some point they kind of ran out a material & it became too much of an agenda show. Let's do drug this year, then unions, then housing, then education, then government . . . . It was best as a character driven show. Great actors. Great characters.

Reactions: Been Jammin
The final season seemed rushed. It's still one of my all time favorites. Never watched it while it was on but it's now become a spring time ritual watch for me. I've been looking for a place to watch The Shield but I haven't found it on Netflix or Amazon (for free).

Glad to see that I am not the only one who doesn't rate The Wire in my top 5. Top 10 for sure, but not top 5.

The final season seemed rushed. It's still one of my all time favorites. Never watched it while it was on but it's now become a spring time ritual watch for me. I've been looking for a place to watch The Shield but I haven't found it on Netflix or Amazon (for free).

I was in the same position with the Shield. I have a channel called El Ray that recently went through the whole run but they only did it once.

Breaking Bad is my favorite of all time for sure. Beyond that, in no particular order, I'd include:

The Wire, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, The (original) Bob Newhart Show, Better Call Saul...

Last edited:
Breaking Bac is my favorite of all time for sure. Beyond that, in no particular order, I'd include:

The Wire, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, The (original) Bob Newhart Show, Better Call Saul...

Wow, very similar to me.

My Top 10 (no order):

Seinfeld
The Wire
Sopranos
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Band of Brothers
Better Call Saul
Breaking Bad
The Tudors
The Knick
Shameless

Honorable Mention: Rome (it got cancelled after Season 2 due to the fact it was just too expensive for HBO to keep making but I loved that show), Boardwalk Empire

I'm really enjoying Ray Donovan right now too.

@nathajw Have you watched Black Sails? I think it is fantastic.

I remember @MegaPoke raving about Black Sails awhile back and I watched a couple episodes but kind of let it slip past me. With a weak Fall lineup I might have to jump in on it and get caught up. I hardly remember anything about the first 2 episodes I watched.

I would suggest binge watching the first 3 and seeing what you think after that. That should be enough for you to decide if it is for you or not. @nathajw

I remember @MegaPoke raving about Black Sails awhile back and I watched a couple episodes but kind of let it slip past me. With a weak Fall lineup I might have to jump in on it and get caught up. I hardly remember anything about the first 2 episodes I watched.

I like it a lot, but I am a pirate nerd. It's been picked up for a fourth season already, so I think it's got staying power. Season 2 was a bit draggy at times for sure, but it's a fun show.

Quite a bit of diversity in this thread!

I also recently started Treme....it is also by David Simon (of The Wire).

Looks promising, will have to see how it goes. Good storyline potential....about the New Orleans (and specifically Treme) area 3 months after Katrina hit.

I have never actually been there, so if people have they might be more likely to like the show.

I love Treme but it definitely is not for everyone. Very, very slow.

I'm currently enjoying Orphan Black. It's a BBC series available on Amazon Prime.

I'm currently enjoying Orphan Black. It's a BBC series available on Amazon Prime.

Are you caught up? I really loved it at first but by the end of the 2nd season I kind of lost what the hell was going on and quit. Others have told me the last season was good.

Quite a bit of diversity in this thread!

I also recently started Treme....it is also by David Simon (of The Wire).

Treme is worth the watch. Speaking of David Simon, has anyone watched his mini-series Show Me a Hero yet? I have all of it on my DVR and haven't started it yet, any good?

Are you caught up? I really loved it at first but by the end of the 2nd season I kind of lost what the hell was going on and quit. Others have told me the last season was good.
No, just a couple of episodes into season 2. I like the main actress, and many of the other main characters. The music in the show is good too. I get a kick out of the "music" that frequently plays when Helena is going off.

I'm about half way through Show Me a Hero and I really like it. I was a little surprised because while there hasn't been much of from Simon I haven't loved, I wasn't too excited about spending 6 hours on public housing in NYC.

Apparently he is working on a show about Times Square when it was seedy. The little I've read sounds good.

No, just a couple of episodes into season 2. I like the main actress, and many of the other main characters. The music in the show is good too. I get a kick out of the "music" that frequently plays when Helena is going off.

She is outstanding. It is probably my fault for not watching close enough. I just kind of got lost with all the plot twists.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT